Are we an oridinary side or victims?

shane2801

Re: Are we an oridinary side or victims?

Post by shane2801 » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 8:40 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Every week i hear that we're a terrible side, yet at the same time hear calls of conspiracies against us. People will call for JT's head, but say the ref is on the take. My opinion, you can't have it both ways. It's no secret that ref's will be harder on weaker teams, and if we're always complaining about our fortunes, maybe that's the answer. because when was the last time we weren't a weak team?

When was the last time you heard someone say ''they aren't a very good team, but they have great discipline''?
It's no secret refs go harder on weaker teams?

What a load of rubbish.
We are an ordinary side that tries hard most games.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 8:41 pm

Newtown wrote:I say that our main problem is that we are carrying two young, inexperienced halves. Sure, they have talent but when it comes to a pressure situation in a first grade match they still don't know how to deal with it. They will come good with experience but the club will (if these two sign up in June) have to bear the pain of their inexperience.l
I'm not sure how much you know about business culture but to me it appears cultural. We have had most of the same issues in this club since well before Brooks and Moses arrived. It is ill discipline and it is shirking duty when the going gets tough. As Taylor put it "being hard on yourself and making soft decisions". It's really a perfect way to sum up the Tigers in general for years. Weak in defence, weak on last tackle options, weak before and after breaks, weak off the field and on the field. We let average players have career best games. Debutantes score doubles, and trebles. Because we make soft decisions.

There is no desire to hurt the opposition. There is no fight to drag the player down when they are dragging defenders through the line. Everything is for show. We are a painted whore of a football team.

The problem is that it has been going on for so long that I think the culture has infected most of the players who could have formed the basis for changing it. A little bit monkey see-monkey do.

It's now part of the culture of the club, the colours, emblem and name. Most people would look at the common link to the eras of incompetence and point at Farah. I don't agree. I did at one point, but the more I've dwelled on it the more I think that Farah was actually the one that was trying to change it about the club and has been the entire time. All the stories out of the camp are Farah had beef with Benji. Farah contributed to Sheens's and Potter's ousting. He appears to be the one trying to initiate change at levels that can alter the culture. Taylor walks in and makes the assumption that Farah is actually the cause of the culture and tries to oust him and Farah loses his mind because he's getting hung out to dry over something he's been personally trying to fix the entire time.

If you look at the periods of success with the club, it coincided with;

a) Fluke that the rules made our haphazard style of play work in 2005 plus Sheens being fresh probably had the respect of the side at the time.
b) Steve Folkes and Gareth Ellis being at the club. Two guys absolutely renowned for discipline and toughness.

Potter couldn't handle it. He came in and tried spinning the plates but they kept falling off and smashing on the floor. Farah didn't rate him as the guy needed to make the change, and he probably wasn't. Taylor... he might be, but like I said can he spin the plates? He showed the desire to make a huge move by tossing Farah but he couldn't get what he wanted done... so he's probably not a capable enough leader to make things that need to happen, happen. Woods as captain, I think is not a good decision either. Another easy decision it was, made by the senior playing group. Pick the most popular guy.

Who is the guy? I don't think Cleary is the go.

I think we need a respected on field disciplinarian leader signed from outside the club as well as a similar coach. Michael Maguire as a coach would be good. Bellamy perfect. The only player off contract that remotely fits the bill is Cooper Cronk... unfortunately there's not really anyone out there who we can go after.

If we could draw up ... I dunno, a challenge? A career defining challenge/opportunity for Craig Bellamy and throw it and loads of cash at him...

Unfortunately I don't see anything like that happening any time soon. Unless we fluke it, or I am just all kinds of wrong.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 8:50 pm

Culture has nothing to do with it. Culture is a convenient excuse for people not being able to cut it.

We can be successful just like other clubs. It's a simple formula. Get quality players that can consistently and get a coach who can give them a good game plan again on a consistent basis.

I don't think Taylor is the answer as our coach but maybe he can make it. I also think possibly Farah, Brooks and Moses are all not the right players to have in critical positions.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 8:52 pm

shane2801 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Every week i hear that we're a terrible side, yet at the same time hear calls of conspiracies against us. People will call for JT's head, but say the ref is on the take. My opinion, you can't have it both ways. It's no secret that ref's will be harder on weaker teams, and if we're always complaining about our fortunes, maybe that's the answer. because when was the last time we weren't a weak team?

When was the last time you heard someone say ''they aren't a very good team, but they have great discipline''?

What a load of rubbish.
No? You think weaker teams are more likely to get the rub of the green?

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 8:55 pm

I doubt Bellamy would come here even at ridiculous money. If he doesn't re-sign with storm he'll probably close up shop and get some back office role with them.

Not totally convinced if its a culture thing maybe it is, i reckon its more of a financial thing and struggling to sign big name players. Our salary cap is a mess and until its sorted we have to soldier on.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 8:56 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Please don't blame the referees. We had our chances and weren't good enough. Our negative high ball under instruction was so predictable that we deserved to lose. The coach is not fine and has to go so we can get the best out of this side.
Why shouldn't the refs cop some of the blame? Our blokes busted their arses today and copped some atrocious calls that made it so much harder to win the game. We had the chance to win the game in extra time but unfortunately couldn't come up with the game winning field goal when it mattered.
However, the refs were pathetic again today, our players cop the criticism after a loss, why shouldn't inept,incompetent morons acting as professional referees copsome grief for their disgusting performances?

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 9:04 pm

glebe_tiger wrote:I doubt Bellamy would come here even at ridiculous money. If he doesn't re-sign with storm he'll probably close up shop and get some back office role with them.

Not totally convinced if its a culture thing maybe it is, i reckon its more of a financial thing and struggling to sign big name players. Our salary cap is a mess and until its sorted we have to soldier on.
Pretty much as I see it ..just do not have the money or the cattle ,the Bennett to the Knights was a success with the supa coach NOT!

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 9:05 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:Please don't blame the referees. We had our chances and weren't good enough. Our negative high ball under instruction was so predictable that we deserved to lose. The coach is not fine and has to go so we can get the best out of this side.
Why shouldn't the refs cop some of the blame? Our blokes busted their arses today and copped some atrocious calls that made it so much harder to win the game. We had the chance to win the game in extra time but unfortunately couldn't come up with the game winning field goal when it mattered.
However, the refs were pathetic again today, our players cop the criticism after a loss, why shouldn't inept,incompetent morons acting as professional referees copsome grief for their disgusting performances?
Paws, as much as you blame the high ball last kick options, they are the very same kicks that got us back into the game.

I can accept the Lawrence no try was a forward pass, though only the referees thought the Koribete try wasnt forward.

Lawrence no penalty try.... seriously, not arguable.... thats a 6 point swing?

No sin bin for the trip..... give me a break. Its the difference between th kick and the set of 6.

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 9:06 pm

bathursttiger wrote:Sometimes I think that it would be $10,000 well spent.
I wonder if JT could claim this as a tax deduction?

If they can afford to give someone 100 grand should they kick a ball into the back of a ute at halftime then they can afford $10 000. Next time the impossible halftime kick can be for $90 000 instead.

barrytiger

Post by barrytiger » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 9:13 pm

we are not a bad team,we are very unlucky,we are not getting flogged like some teams,a lot of calls do go against us like Lawrence being held back which would have been a try,i dont know what these blokes in the Bunker are looking at,Tedesco when knocked out the ref didnt stop play we were one man down and Melbourne score in that set,but when of the storms player got hurt earlier they stopped play straight away,and did i mention the forward pass when they scored again we are not getting the Rub of the Greeen

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 9:30 pm

stevetiger wrote:Culture has nothing to do with it. Culture is a convenient excuse for people not being able to cut it.

We can be successful just like other clubs. It's a simple formula. Get quality players that can consistently and get a coach who can give them a good game plan again on a consistent basis.

I don't think Taylor is the answer as our coach but maybe he can make it. I also think possibly Farah, Brooks and Moses are all not the right players to have in critical positions.
:roll: Okay culture is meaningless. I'm not going to argue with you suffice to say that you are dismissing the knowledge promoted by basically every coach and team manager ever. Establishing good culture is a huge deal in any business.

TigerSkins

Post by TigerSkins » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 9:37 pm

That was a disappointing result, we were in that game all the way, however we weren't helped by the officials thats for sure. In the first half we had the ball, one of the Storm players went down with a head knock and the ref's called time off and we had to wait for him to leave the field. Why didn't the ref's call time off when Teddy got smashed in the head by a shoulder from the Storm player .. and to make it worse that same player then score 60 seconds later down field, then a few minutes later they announce he is on report. So where was the penalty, why did they allow play to continue which resulted in a try to the team that just made an illegal hit.

And why wasn't Rowdy awarded a penalty try, he was infront the defender and certainly would have got to the ball if not held back .. those muppets with the whistles crucify us each week.

Sorry but i have to say it, we no longer need the service of Halatau, Lovett, Milone and Rankin (although he had a good game tonight) in this side again this year.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 9:51 pm

Snake wrote:
glebe_tiger wrote:I doubt Bellamy would come here even at ridiculous money. If he doesn't re-sign with storm he'll probably close up shop and get some back office role with them.

Pretty much as I see it ..just do not have the money or the cattle ,the Bennett to the Knights was a success with the supa coach NOT!
There's money available. We ignore it.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 10:02 pm

How can you be a victim 6 weeks in a row?

It's like me being late for work 6 days in a row and each time I blame public transport. At some point I need to take responsibility.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 10:08 pm

MacDougall wrote:
stevetiger wrote:Culture has nothing to do with it. Culture is a convenient excuse for people not being able to cut it.

:roll: Okay culture is meaningless. I'm not going to argue with you suffice to say that you are dismissing the knowledge promoted by basically every coach and team manager ever. Establishing good culture is a huge deal in any business.
Simplistic steve has a simple answer for everything...its so easy everyone does it, dont know why weve waited 16 years

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 10:21 pm

Truly, some of you should stop crying, put away the tissues, stop ripping the bodices and get behind our team and coach who put together a game that should have been ours against all the odds. Two rookies playing their maiden NRL games, our captain out injured, our toughest player out injured and a much maligned centre and second rower who both put in great performances. This was a team performance to be proud of and I see success ahead. I don't expect us to make the semis but playing this type of game will continue to put us in a position to win.

Things to come out of this game for me are 1/ Milone could develop into a good defensive centre who will be a good backup for our first grade centres and 2/ J.J. Felise will be an outstanding NRL front rower.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 10:23 pm

tsjonathan wrote:How can you be a victim 6 weeks in a row?

It's like me being late for work 6 days in a row and each time I blame public transport. At some point I need to take responsibility.
Who is saying we've been dudded 6 weeks in a row?
We most certainly got the very raw end of the deal today when it came to crucial decisions.
We are an average side who often get our task of winning games made a hell of a lot harder by incompetent officials and their unfathomable decisions. And that stinks.

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Sun 17 Apr, 2016 10:50 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
shane2801 wrote:

What a load of rubbish.
No? You think weaker teams are more likely to get the rub of the green?
What are you talking about?? If you really think refs go into any game with a hidden agenda then give yourself a triple. Good sides are disciplined sides. Disciplined sides get the rub of the green but by no help from referees.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!