Both Sides Should Get a Point!

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Both Sides Should Get a Point!

Unread post by stevied » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 12:10 am

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that the NRL should consider giving both sides a point when a game goes into Golden Point. It's not just about the Tiger's bad luck last night. I've thought for many years that sides have been dudded by a rule that's not fair. Before Golden Point, when there was no extra time, both sides walked away with a point, in other words, the two points were shared. Absolutely fair. By today's rules, neither side is guaranteed a point but one side takes both points. This is not fair because both sides played the 80 minutes and slogged it out for a draw, the extra time is reduced to a field goal war with no creativity with the ball and the losing (who sometimes can be the better overall) side takes nothing from the game when that extra point could decide whether or not they make the semis. The NRL should do what the NHL do in Canada/US and give the losing side one point and winner two.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 3:47 am

I told the guy next to me exactly the same thing on the original full time whistle. I remember decades ago when it was like that, it makes for an interesting table nearing the end of the comp as well. Those one pointers can make or break you. As they are the only just option you are spot on.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

glebe_tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by glebe_tiger » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 4:34 am

Totally agree with the point each for a draw. Its a dumb rule. For all the spectacle of last years gf Bennett was right in saying its a terrible way to lose a game. I compare it to soccer's penalty shoot out.

Instead of calling it golden point they should just call it golden field goal. To top it off, if you miss your attempt you get slugged with defending 7 tackles which inevitably means other side gets closer to the sticks.

Will the NRL cut golden point for regular matches? I wish they did, but the 7 tackle rule is my pet peeve that needs major overhaul. Worst rule atm by a mile.

Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 5:50 am

You don't need a result in a game during the regular season, nothing wrong with a draw.

Meanwhile the NRL sort of worries about player burnout, yet forces players to play extra minutes with this garbage when it's just not necessary.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 138 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 5:56 am

this debate is never ending

stevied

Unread post by stevied » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 6:04 am

But the point I'm making is whether both teams should each get at least one point, not whether or not the extra time is played. I think both teams should get a point with the eventual winner getting two. The extra minutes are hard on the players but it's exciting for the fans. What would make it more exciting is if they stipulated that it had to be a Golden Try not the ridiculous Golden Point which is a monotonous belt it up five times then kick.

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 8:06 am

No, the better team at the end prevails.
For yesterdays game if we were good enough we would have walked away with the 2 points.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 156 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 8:23 am

Would this thread exist had we won?

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 138 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 9:14 am

I'd like to see how competition ladders vary from past seasons with Steve's proposal implemented compared to how the eventually ended up

stevied

Unread post by stevied » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 9:16 am

Me too Ink!

yeti
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by yeti » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 9:17 am

innsaneink wrote:I'd like to see how competition ladders vary from past seasons with Steve's proposal implemented compared to how the eventually ended up
Probably not much different, Ink, but the players should be rewarded for that sort of effort during the normal season. 10 minutes extra time in finals footy and then into golden point if it is still a draw.

Tigertigertiger

Unread post by Tigertigertiger » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 9:20 am

Hate golden point, it's only there for tv ratings, but it's here to stay and we need to execute better in order to win the tight ones.

Can argue till the cows come home on this one.

stevied

Unread post by stevied » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 10:02 am

Ha, yes GNR, I would have still created this thread if we'd won. Just don't think the current system is fair!

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 10:58 am

Agree that the draw is good enough.

However, golden point is the current system, if you're not good enough to snare it then well, tough luck.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

jirskyr
Has liked: 102 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 11:11 am

GP was good when they brought it out, but teams have become so clinical and cynical about it. The game totally changes, the refs put their whilst away, it becomes all so controversial.

And because it's GP, there is no right of reply, which is really making it unfair.

I'd support scrapping GP and even for finals games I'd make teams play out the full 10 rather than decide it on an arsey field goal.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 47 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 11:25 am

If they really wanted to put it on for the fans, make it golden try. 10 minutes of attacking football rather than 5 hit ups and pot shot at the posts.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Juro
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Juro » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 11:55 am

You can't have it where a game is worth 2 points if it ends in normal time, or 3 points (split 2 and 1) if it ends in extra time. That would lead to teams colluding to maximise both their chances of making the finals.

I'd love to see the death of extra time in regular season games. Can't see it happening though, because TV rules the roost.
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 11:56 am

I've mentioned this before as well, the NRL needs to follow sports like the NHL and give both teams one point after regluation time has finished. Golden point is an opportunity for a team to get that extra point for the win, otherwise both teams end up a point for the draw.

In ice hockey is makes a big difference come finals time when teams that have been close in a number of games but lost in overtime still make the finals because they got those points for the regulation draw.. In league it won't happen as often but the points would still add up in the end. When the ladder's so close a side with 2 golden point losses but 2 points to show for it could make a big difference at the end of the season.

to treat a 50-0 loss in regulation time the same as as an 89th min loss in golden point is unfair. It fails to recognise the quality of the team to match their opponents rather than being blown away. Recognising the draw and rewarding teh team who's able to go one step further is the fairest all around solution.

Return to “Round 7: Wests Tigers vs Melbourne Storm”