Moses's Body Language Is What You Want To See

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 125 times

Re: Moses's Body Language Is What You Want To See

Unread post by Russell » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 8:59 am

I don't believe that the game yesterday has earnt so much negative comment.

Every player to a man put in 100% - they were all stuffed at the end of the game, many just slumped to the ground totally spent and totally devastated. Many played on, so knocked around they would have been excused for coming off e.g. Teddy and Kev (who was throwing up on the field in the first half). They didn't, they played on in total commitment to their team mates and the Wests Tigers.

At the ground when they were coming off, supporters stayed and gave them a standing ovation, which they deserved imo.

Get stuck into them by all means but when they deserve it. There were many things against them - Woods, Simona and Nofa were out. couple of guys playing their first NRL game for us, the usual mamouth calls going against us etc. We did not make that many errors and completion rate was good. So Moses took a shot on the second tackle and missed - so what. He is a play maker and he thought it was a good idea - storm were not expecting it, had a bit more time - all good reasons to have a go in my opinion. So he missed it, so did the Australian captain, also in front of the posts.

You can't crucify a play maker for having a go, that is what they do, same as last week with his kick to the winger on the sideline in the last few minutes that didn't work either. If they come off, every one is saying give him the keys to the city. If it doesn't he is the worst player in the world. Is it better to have a play maker that won't take a risk and when the pressure is on, he goes into his shell. I would rather a play maker who tries to win the game.

The only problem I see is that he doesn't get the ball enough. His defence yesterday was brilliant - he was on Harris just about every time he got the ball like a leach - couple of times he got brushed, but came again and pulled him down like a hungry tiger on a gazelle.

All in all I thought it was a good game, enjoyed the atmosphere of Leichhardt and although there were only 9 and a bit thousand we all made enough noise to total about twice that number - did it make any difference to refereeing decisions - maybe once, that was about all.

Looking forward to next week though - go you mighty Tigers!!!!

tsjonathan
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 9:06 am

Anyone remember Mitch's short kick off from the restart against Mounties a few years ago when they were up by 4? Mounties ended up winning.

It was pretty finny but it shows Moses is tenacious and tries anything which is exactly what this team lacks

Magpie Magic
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Magpie Magic » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 10:33 am

Very disappointed in his game yesterday.
Lots of poor passes.
Dropped an easy offload from Ado Carr in support.
That FG needed to go over. He called for it Om the second had little pressure on.

And also too many times hanging around near dummy half directing traffic instead of being in the backline.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 158 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 11:10 am

innsaneink wrote:I do not understand people complaining about it being on tackle two...its insane...what did they want us to do for three tackles?
He does come across as very upbeat and positive...his body lingo is good
Was watching the game at a mates house yesterday he said the same thing (why take the shot on tackle two.)

Why risk losing possession in the following three tackles if you're in hot position to take the shot? He just butchered it...

Moses reminds me a little of Benji in that he will chance his arm if nothing is happening. I have a feeling he'll routinely be one of those players who will always follow the gut. We'll be cursing him as much as we'll be hailing him as a miracle worker.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

jirskyr
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 11:27 am

Well it shows why Cronk is worth $1M and Moses not really $800K.

NRL has a VERY fine line between winners and losers, and you only have to make the odd mistake here and there to be on the wrong side, just ask Ben Hunt.

Moses had a superior position and didn't strike it well. Cronk had ordinary position but struck it perfectly, it never moved off centre of the posts.

One guy walks away with 2 points and the other does not.

So I'm not anti-Moses, but he's still got a very long way to go, despite the big numbers being bandied about.

Good news I think is most of the talk is just that, manager work during contract year. The reason Broses have not taken their options this year is to drive up the price, so all this talk of $800K etc. is to get their value up. But I don't think rival clubs are that silly, I think they know what the real value is and the rest of it is juts media talk.

tigerbalm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by tigerbalm » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm most impressed at his body's ability to take a hit and keep going.

The kid takes huge amounts of punishment every game and keeps getting up. Shows a lot of heart.

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 12:39 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Newtown wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
formerguest wrote:
Perfect opportunity to take the shot for mine, with the quality of the attempt being the problem.
He missed. That to me sums up our halves. They have really poor execution and it needs to improve.
The very experienced Farah should have taken the field goal attempt but then again he wasn't captain to call the shots.
I was wondering if his knee was okay to do big kicks, just remember he did that perfect grubber in goal. I love how he makes them stand up and perfectly weighted.
Robbie should definitely kick more often even for the sack of a little variety in our kicking game. 40/20's and field goals used to be his speciality.

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 125 times

Unread post by Russell » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 2:28 pm

jirskyr wrote:Well it shows why Cronk is worth $1M and Moses not really $800K.

NRL has a VERY fine line between winners and losers, and you only have to make the odd mistake here and there to be on the wrong side, just ask Ben Hunt.

Moses had a superior position and didn't strike it well. Cronk had ordinary position but struck it perfectly, it never moved off centre of the posts.

So I'm not anti-Moses, but he's still got a very long way to go, despite the big numbers being bandied about.

Good news I think is most of the talk is just that, manager work during contract year. The reason Broses have not taken their options this year is to drive up the price, so all this talk of $800K etc. is to get their value up. But I don't think rival clubs are that silly, I think they know what the real value is and the rest of it is juts media talk.
Agree with most of what you say - but I think he is being roasted unfairly.

Another 11 years to get the same amount of experience as Cronk - He had a go and he missed. However he had go.

Not necessarily you but a lot of people expect Thurston in a 21 year old.

jirskyr
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 3:01 pm

Russell wrote:
jirskyr wrote:Well it shows why Cronk is worth $1M and Moses not really $800K.

Agree with most of what you say - but I think he is being roasted unfairly.

Another 11 years to get the same amount of experience as Cronk - He had a go and he missed. However he had go.

Not necessarily you but a lot of people expect Thurston in a 21 year old.
Personally, I am not roasting Moses. He is playing more or less at a level I expect for his age and maturity. In my opinion he has more time, though not unlimited time, to develop and it can definitely be said that there is a gradual positive trend.

But the counter-argument I make is value for money. The media is putting a lot of material out there about the next Broses contracts, and I know most of it is hogwash, but a significant amount of that media presence is self-generated, i.e. by player managers.

The way Broses are playing right now, we should have no trouble fitting them under the salary cap. They just aren't that good and their upside is not bankable enough to force them out based on what I think they are worth.

The real question is whether any other club is desperate or daft enough for fork out majors on two works in progress.

So if someone says Moses is asking for $800K per year, I'll show him footage of Cooper Cronk and say "This is $800K per year".

Cosimo_Zaretti
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 3:01 pm

Newtown wrote: Robbie should definitely kick more often even for the sack of a little variety in our kicking game. 40/20's and field goals used to be his speciality.
Well this forum's come full circle hasn't it? We used to scream or Robbie to let the halves do their job and stop putting stupid grubbers into defenders legs. Remembering a few great extra time wins at Leichardt I was half hoping Robbie would take a shot himself, but he just kept his head down and did the dummy half work for field position.

I think Moses was right to try the shot when he did. 5th tackle and he might well have had a big back rower rushing up on him. Had the field position, had the ball, just missed. It happens to the best of them.

WestsSupporter

Unread post by WestsSupporter » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 3:40 pm

2nd tackle was okay for me. Better to do it when you have front-foot ball. If you just hammer away on the line for 3 pointless tackles, they have time to rush up on you. When you get over the advantage line, they have no chance of interrupting your kick.
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 9:25 pm

Many of you guys digress. The main point of my thread was Moses's positive body language and attitude. I think it's a credit to him and an asset to the team.

Return to “Round 7: Wests Tigers vs Melbourne Storm”