StatView: Rd 7 vs Storm

TigerTom

StatView: Rd 7 vs Storm

Unread post by TigerTom » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 4:10 pm

Firstly, congratulations to JJ Felise on making his debut for the club. Also congratulations to Josh Addo-Carr for scoring on debut.

Despite some controversial decisions, we can not deny that we lost the game. We led possession 51-49, completing 81% of our sets, Melbourne on the other hand completed 76%. Gaining the upper hand in possession allowed us to take a territorial advantage. The Tigers spent 16 minutes in the opposition 20, 3 minutes extra than Storm. The boys showed strong discipline, conceding only 5 penalties (2 from R.Farah), opposed to Melbourne's 9 (3 from Asofa-Solomona).

Ideally, the team stats would lead you to believe the Tigers were in firm control. However, as we look at player stats, the most notable is that when it comes to run metres, the Storm really punched the Tigers defensive line. The top 5 run metres in the game all came from Melbourne players.
1. J.Bromwich (239)
2. C.Munster (228)
3. S.Vunivalu (200)
4. M.Koroibete (195)
5. T.Harris (176)
6. K.Naiqama and A.Seumanufagai (both 167)

J.Bromwich tore the Tigers pack to shreds making 239m from 19 runs., making 3 offloads and 33 tackles. The tigers leading forward A.Seumanufagai ran 167m from 16 hit ups and made 26 tackles without a single miss. Unusually, one of our leading ball runners was former captain Robbie Farah. Farah ranked third for the Tigers in run metres, taking 10 runs for 135m. 9 of those runs came out of dummy-half, racking up 117m.

The Tigers territorial advantage came down to the kicking game from Moses and Brooks. Brooks made 13 kicks for 437m, Moses 7 kicks for 267m. This is quite impressive against Queensland halfback Cronk (9 kicks, 267m) and Smith (6 kicks, 378m).

A concerning stat is that Tigers possess 4 players in the top 5 missed tackles.
1. L.Brooks (4)
2. C.Munster (3)
3. J.Edwards (3)
4. D.Halatau (3)
5. C.Lawrence (3)

Tackle efficiency really let the Tigers down. The Storm missed 18 tackles, compared to the Tigers 22. That's not a significant difference. However, The Tigers made 25 ineffective tackles compared to Melbourne's 8, allowing Melbourne to play second-phase football, hence the significant difference in run metres. In terms of offloading the ball, The Storm forward pack contributed to 11/25 of their offloads. Furthermore, not one Tigers forward made an offload.

Unfortunately, 3 unsuccessful field goal attempts prevented the Tigers from winning a tight game. We can discuss no penalty try being awarded or Vunivalunnot being penalized for a high shot all we like, but at the end of the day, a game is won over 80 minutes. Conclusively, we have shown positive signs for our trip to Canberra this Saturday.

I hope you enjoyed this first review. I will look to do a preview vs Raiders during the week.

TigerTom.

Stats courtesy of Champion Data.

ricksen
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 4:26 pm

Good stuff.

4 things that concern me, and seem to be the same week upon week.

1) Teams roll through us down the middle. I can't find the figures, but last year we conceded the 2nd most yardage (according to various press articles), and I would imagine we'd be right down the bottom again this year.
Admittedly yesterday we were down Woods and Sue, but it's a problem we seem to have even at full strength.

2) Again conceding lots of points in the middle of the game (31-60 mins). For seven weeks, we've see the same issue, with no sign of improvement.

3) The offloads. Would love to see some differentials between WT and other teams, especially in the forwards. None of our pack (nb. Farah has 7) has more than two offloads, so we're not really getting any 2nd phase play through the middle. As stated in the OP, we tend to allow plenty to our opponents for a variety of reasons.
For comparison, Jess Bromwich has 23.

4) Repeat sets. We're second bottom in terms of generating drop-outs (interestingly, Parramatta are below us).
I don't have as much of an issue with the bombs as most, especially yesterday as they were mostly well weighted and well chased, thus we had the Storm starting sets from within their own 10 several times.
It's when we have a bit more field position, and can put in attacking kicks from within the 10-20m where we struggle.

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 5:29 pm

Good stuff Tiger Tom , much appreciated.

My take on yesterday's game : Look if i didn't watch the game yesterday and someone told me that we lost by 1 point in extra time with Simona , Nofo , Woods , Sue all missing i would be pleasantly surprised as i expected us to get beat by a scoreline of 40-10 or somewhere there.....

Going of those Stats and numbers it seems Melbourne were in complete control but that wasn't the case as to me they played quite poorly and we didn't capitalized on our opportunities as we panic and it seems like we don't know what to do at certain stages of the game.

There were some very dubious calls by the Refs and we can feel hard done by as i felt a Penalty Try should of been awarded to Lawrence , Storm were allowed to score a Try through a forward Pass , the Tripping attempt by the Storm player in the 2nd half should of been 10 in the bin as that is a Professional foul ( the intent was there ) , i don't like putting excuses after a loss but we definitely had some tough calls .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Masterton » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 5:39 pm

ricksen wrote: I don't have as much of an issue with the bombs as most, especially yesterday as they were mostly well weighted and well chased, thus we had the Storm starting sets from within their own 10 several times.
It's when we have a bit more field position, and can put in attacking kicks from within the 10-20m where we struggle.
Whether or not people agree with the bomb theory, it was well implemented this week.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 7:07 pm

The passage of play that really disappointed me was when teddy went down.....storm just sliced thru us like a hot knife thru butter. We just get dominated way too much and way too easily.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

gallagher
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by gallagher » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks tiger Tom. Great stuff

ricksen
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 7:30 pm

Masterton wrote:
ricksen wrote: I don't have as much of an issue with the bombs as most, especially yesterday as they were mostly well weighted and well chased, thus we had the Storm starting sets from within their own 10 several times.
Whether or not people agree with the bomb theory, it was well implemented this week.
Absolutely.
I really don't understand people's disdain for it, given every team in the NRL does the same thing.

iofthetigers

Unread post by iofthetigers » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 7:36 pm

[

Ideally, the team stats would lead you to believe the Tigers were in firm control. However, as we look at player stats, the most notable is that when it comes to run metres, the Storm really punched the Tigers defensive line. The top 5 run metres in the game all came from Melbourne players.
You can't be in control if you miss 17 tackles in one half of a game. It is not the sort of loss you can build a season on.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 10:02 pm

Thanks for this review TT. I understand JT wants mistake-free footy & for us to get into the grind to win back momentum & I believe the boys did well to do this yesterday, but I wish we could implement some more offloads/2nd-phase play. With guys like Teddy, Moses, Brooks & now even Addo-Carr hovering around the ruck surely this would be playing to our strengths - even if this is just once we've made it to the attack zone.

On a side note how good was it to see Brooks running onto a DH pass with pace to kick off that backline move leading to Addo-Carr's try! Great hands from Teddy too...he did have a quiet game by his standards but the kid is all class.

Return to “Round 7: Wests Tigers vs Melbourne Storm”