Defence analysis

ricksen
Member
Member
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2015 9:10 pm

Defence analysis

Post by ricksen » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 9:25 am

Simple analysis, but pretty damning all the same.
Echoes what we've seen for most of this season to be honest - losing the wrestle, bad reads, lacking in communication and so on. Obviously this game was another level, but the issues have been there all year.

http://m.nrl.com/the-breakdown-with-mat ... fault.aspx

Will be interesting to see how our defence aims up this evening.


Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3254
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:15 am

I swear if i see our players rushing towards the play the ball area from the defensive line for no reason, leaving behind a gaping hole for the opposition to just walk through, one more time this season i'm going to run on the field and tell them where to stand. Having 3-4 defenders marking one potential runner is just pathetic.

So many tries conceded by rushing to fill territory we already had covered. Mind boggling. Sue, Sirro, Aloiai, Milone, Felise, Woods, Lawrence, Lovett, Halatau, Rankin and Nofo have all been guilty of this so far.

Being sucked in by a big man decoy near the play the ball is inexcusable. Do it again and we need to feed those players to the lions. Surely there's some sort of Gladiator pit we an throw useless players into where they fight to the death to try and regain some pride and keep their heads..?

User avatar
clifferdSH
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 9:46 pm

Post by clifferdSH » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:28 am

Basically first 5 mins we'll be able to tell if we've turned a corner from last week.

From the get go we were disgracefully pathetic with the Raiders Steamrolling and scoring a try off their first set I believe. From then on I just had a feeling we'll get rolled

Sad you can tell a teams mindset after the 1st set of the game lol

ricksen
Member
Member
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2015 9:10 pm

Post by ricksen » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:28 am

Balmain Boy wrote:I swear if i see our players rushing towards the play the ball area from the defensive line for no reason, leaving behind a gaping hole for the opposition to just walk through, one more time this season i'm going to run on the field and tell them where to stand. Having 3-4 defenders marking one potential runner is just pathetic.

So many tries conceded by rushing to fill territory we already had covered. Mind boggling. Sue, Sirro, Aloiai, Milone, Felise, Woods, Lawrence, Lovett, Halatau, Rankin and Nofo have all been guilty of this so far.

Being sucked in by a big man decoy near the play the ball is inexcusable. Do it again and we need to feed those players to the lions. Surely there's some sort of Gladiator pit we an throw useless players into where they fight to the death to try and regain some pride and keep their heads..?
We should build a rancor pit at the new centre of excellence (when it gets built in 2038) for this purpose.

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5111
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:28 am

Our defence is pretty ordinary. I reckon again we look poorly coached. I wonder how Matthew Elliot would go as a coach.


NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3138
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:58 am

Is Kidwell doing his job or are the players ignoring him?
"Quality Stupidity"

mctiger
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:37 pm

Post by mctiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 12:14 pm

stevetiger wrote:Our defence is pretty ordinary. I reckon again we look poorly coached. I wonder how Matthew Elliot would go as a coach.
Matthew Elliot Coaching information
Club
Years------ Team------------------Gms W D L W%
1997–00 Bradford Bulls---------109 79 4 26 72
2002–06 Canberra Raiders------130 59 1 70 45
2007–11 Penrith Panthers------ 113 49 2 62 43
2013–14 NZ Warriors------------29 13 0 16 45
Total ------------------------------381 200 7 174 52

Next............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_E ... by_league)

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5111
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 1:31 pm

Taylors record

Years-------Team---------------------Gms--W--- D-----L------W%
2006------- Parramatta Eels-------16---10--- 0----- 6----- 63
2007–09 South Sydney----------73---31---1----- 41----42
2015------- Wests Tigers-----------32--- 10----0-----22----31
Total-----------------------------------121---51--- 1-----69----42

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Tay ... by_league)

Taylor has also had a fair bit of controversy within his coaching career and he doesn't come across well in the media. Elliot is the complete opposite.

mctiger
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:37 pm

Post by mctiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 2:06 pm

stevetiger wrote:Taylors record

Years-------Team---------------------Gms--W--- D-----L------W%
2006------- Parramatta Eels-------16---10--- 0----- 6----- 63
2007–09 South Sydney----------73---31---1----- 41----42
2015------- Wests Tigers-----------32--- 10----0-----22----31
Total-----------------------------------121---51--- 1-----69----42

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Tay ... by_league)

Taylor has also had a fair bit of controversy within his coaching career and he doesn't come across well in the media. Elliot is the complete opposite.

Obviously Taylor's record is poor but why would you want to replace with Elliot based on his record? Elliot was sacked from two clubs and was a controversial figure with the Warriors (not necessarily his fault as the players wanted Iro).

Also who cares about they they come across in the media? Bennett is hardly Mr Personality.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41137
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 2:14 pm

As I pointed out a few weeks ago , we don't put people on their backsides , and when we don't the rest of the set in many cases is pure mayhem as teams just roll over the WT's

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5111
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 3:00 pm

mctiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:Taylors record

Years-------Team---------------------Gms--W--- D-----L------W%
2006------- Parramatta Eels-------16---10--- 0----- 6----- 63
2007–09 South Sydney----------73---31---1----- 41----42
2015------- Wests Tigers-----------32--- 10----0-----22----31
Total-----------------------------------121---51--- 1-----69----42

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Tay ... by_league)

Taylor has also had a fair bit of controversy within his coaching career and he doesn't come across well in the media. Elliot is the complete opposite.

Obviously Taylor's record is poor but why would you want to replace with Elliot based on his record? Elliot was sacked from two clubs and was a controversial figure with the Warriors (not necessarily his fault as the players wanted Iro).

Also who cares about they they come across in the media? Bennett is hardly Mr Personality.
I basically agree with your points. I suppose Taylor appears to say stupid stuff consistently. If we were winning games I wouldn't care but he comes across as having no idea.

I'm not sure that he has no idea. I think he probably knows a fair bit.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 3:14 pm

happy tiger wrote:As I pointed out a few weeks ago , we don't put people on their backsides , and when we don't the rest of the set in many cases is pure mayhem as teams just roll over the WT's
Yep, the only stat we need to look at is 'Dominate'... We get a big fat Zero!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41137
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 3:19 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
happy tiger wrote:As I pointed out a few weeks ago , we don't put people on their backsides , and when we don't the rest of the set in many cases is pure mayhem as teams just roll over the WT's
Yep, the only stat we need to look at is 'Dominate'... We get a big fat Zero!
We'd need 9 defenders in a tackle to here the words "Dominant" yelled by the ref

Do they still give match bonuses for making 3 tackles in a row etc ??

ricksen
Member
Member
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2015 9:10 pm

Post by ricksen » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 4:35 pm

Are there stats available for dominant tackles? Would be scary reading. As per happy, we look like boys against men far too often in the tackle, and it's not only a size thing.
We haven't really attacked in defence other than the game against Manly, and that was mainly because we had guys wanting to show up their old mate Taupau.
The only time I can ever really remember the WT being a strong (in the literal sense) defensive team was back in 10/11 when Folkes was on board.

Majere77
Member
Member
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat 23 Feb, 2013 9:23 pm

Post by Majere77 » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 5:03 pm

ricksen wrote:
The only time I can ever really remember the WT being a strong (in the literal sense) defensive team was back in 10/11 when Folkes was on board.
Nah, we were weak as piss then too, we just had Gareth Ellis - He created the illusion of toughness by covering others deficiencies.

ricksen
Member
Member
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2015 9:10 pm

Post by ricksen » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 5:12 pm

Majere77 wrote:
ricksen wrote:
The only time I can ever really remember the WT being a strong (in the literal sense) defensive team was back in 10/11 when Folkes was on board.
Nah, we were weak as piss then too, we just had Gareth Ellis - He created the illusion of toughness by covering others deficiencies.
Not sure about that. Galloway was great both years and played for NSW and Australia. Dwyer and Fifita were great bench options. Lawrence turned himself into a decent defender before the injury too.

mctiger
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:37 pm

Post by mctiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 5:14 pm

Majere77 wrote:
ricksen wrote:
The only time I can ever really remember the WT being a strong (in the literal sense) defensive team was back in 10/11 when Folkes was on board.
Nah, we were weak as piss then too, we just had Gareth Ellis - He created the illusion of toughness by covering others deficiencies.
We were 8th best in 2010 and 6th best in 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NRL_season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_NRL_season

ricksen
Member
Member
Posts: 1842
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2015 9:10 pm

Post by ricksen » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:51 pm

Well we were a little ragged in the middle at times, and there were a few bad reads, but generally the line was much better tonight.
We still lose the point of contact more often than not, but tend to scramble well.

Post Reply