Rankin and Lovett

cunno

Re: Rankin and Lovett

Post by cunno » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:19 pm

Geo. wrote:They were both great.....Rankin really proved his value..

Lovett shut down Inglis pretty well
Yes I was surprised to see Lovett turn up a number of times when Inglis had the ball. Rankin played well but if he could just lift his goal kicking up a notch or two, I was hoping we wouldn't end up losing because of missed goal compared to Reynolds accuracy.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:00 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Rankin has been the most unfairly criticized player on the forum this yr.
Agreed. He was great tonight though. That run he made at the start of the game was awesome.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:02 pm

TIGER wrote:There's one thing you can't deny Lovett and that's effort, even if you don't rate him his effort is there every week.
He really puts in. I just don't think he has the leg drive to play in the backrow.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:03 pm

Overall Rankin has done a good job this year.

You could put him anywhere and he will do a decent job. Wing might be his 3rd or 4th best position.

He was great tonight.

He has been been a really good signing.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:17 pm

Both were fantastic tonight however I feel the criticism has generally been justified.

Rankins tried hard but struggled with his transition to wing.

Lovetts improved since last year but lacks impact. To me he could be a decent lock but doesn't offer enough to be a full time edge player.

Happy to focus on the positive though, both were great tonight.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:31 pm

JRank is a far better FB than winger, that's what I'll say.

Lovett looked fairly strong, I was in shock when he almost carried 4 Raiders players over the line last week. If he keeps improving... who knows what he can achieve.

Joelcainenumber1fan

Post by Joelcainenumber1fan » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 5:49 am

fergiefurr wrote:Both were fantastic tonight however I feel the criticism has generally been justified.

Rankins tried hard but struggled with his transition to wing.

Lovetts improved since last year but lacks impact. To me he could be a decent lock but doesn't offer enough to be a full time edge player.

Happy to focus on the positive though, both were great tonight.
he made some great runs vs raiders where he carried 3 guys with him and he was still pushing forward,he needs to do that more often
but people forget hes only in his 2nd year so still a lot of time to improve

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:19 am

I think people are under rating Rankin and have been all year.

He is currently 6th in the comp for line breaks (7 in 9 matches) and equal 5th on the try scorers list when playing for a team that has only won 3 games.

His goal kicking needs work but he has a great teacher in JT so will get better.

He was at his best this year last night partly I agree because he played some fullback but also partly because when coming off his wing he was running hard and did great work poking his head through gaps which he has looked like doing a lot this year. He is relativley safe under the high ball def better then Nofa.

For a bloke starting out on the wing he is going great guns and if Tedesco is injured I'd feel confident with him at FB and part of me thinks he would go well at 5/8 if one of the halves was out although I liked Lawrence their last night.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:23 am

Id drop Noffa for JAC before Rankin. Noffa needs to wake up to himself with some of the crap he's produced this yr.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:49 am

Boonboon2 wrote:I think people are under rating Rankin and have been all year.

He is currently 6th in the comp for line breaks (7 in 9 matches)
But how many of those are off Tedesco line break assists?

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:57 am

I think I am 50 / 50.

I always rated Rankin and was really excited after watching the highlights reel and also that we had signed him. He doesn't rate himself as a winger - FB, 5/8, half, centre and then wing I think is how it went. However he has made a pretty good job of a position that he doesn't like very much. Hasn't thrown any tizzies about not getting a go at a position he prefers, has just put his head down and got on with it. He is slowly getting used to the position and it's finer points and in his ninth game on the wing is starting to look a little at home. Think he has been unfairly used as the whipping boy for most of those games. He is a real talent and if he ever gets to play in his preferred positions I am sure he will show us just how good he is. GK aside, he will get better, but you can't get into him for this, he is the best we have.

Now to Lovett - never rated this guy and thought he was a waste of space. I am now beginning to believe that I was incorrect in these assumptions - not saying he is a world beater or will be but he is improving and he does put in. Improved quite considerably from last year and if he makes the same amount of improvement in this current season he would be pretty handy next year and would only be 24. Needs to work on a few things, someone said leg drive - agree with that and needs to hit harder and to be able to play longer minutes.

So all in all I think I was unfair and am happy to give him a real go.

ryanda01

Post by ryanda01 » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:01 am

What I liked about Rankin was the change in attitude under the high ball. Last night when he copped the massive head clash, it's because his eyes were on the ball and nothing else. The game a couple of weeks ago where everybody bagged the second ball on the field which he looked at and thus dropped the main ball is exactly what I didn't want to see a repeat of.

Willing to put your body on the line when all you care about is the ball is all I'm after out of these players and he delivered that in spades. Onya champ.

Goose

Post by Goose » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:55 am

I think Rankin and Lovett are most unfairly maligned.

Lovett is no star, but he is alot better than people give him credit for.

I think Rankin has been good all year. He has shown nous all season with good options on the shifts, holds his space well and has decent (if not brilliant footwork)

2 of the best last night.

Tigertigertiger

Post by Tigertigertiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 6:46 pm

Rankin had a great game and did an amazing job, I'm glad he reads the forum

How much did those refs want the bunnies back in the game, gees it was terrible

Chipofftheoldblock

Post by Chipofftheoldblock » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 7:31 pm

Rankin was always going to be a decent buy as he can cover all positions in the backline. I was just surprised to see him start on the wing but now he is getting better with every game and we have a decent cover option at FB due to Teddy's injury.
I would assume Hunt and JAC would be in contention for the vacant wing spot if Teddy is out for a period of time.

Lovett was decent last night but i still dont rate him. He is a plodder when he runs, has no footwork, cant run a decent line, and his defence at times is lazy most likely due to Taylor leaving him on for longer than he needs to be which results in missed tackles at crucial times in the game. To me Lovett would not get a start at any other NRL club. I would much rather use MCK as edge backrower than Lovett. While he went OKAY last night, i still think he is an average player.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm a fan of Rankin, especially out of position. He's reliable and last night really showed the dynamic side to his game - he runs quite a bit like Teddy but with more footwork than fending (still a long way to go to match him though). If one of Moses or Brooks leaves then I think he could step up comfortably, and if Teddy is out injured then I think we'll see him shine even more. I understand all the clamoring for the raw talent of Addo-Carr, but none of our back 5 really warrant dropping and on their day each can win us a game or go close.

I've not been a fan of Lovett at all, I understand the attraction to him but I thought he hasn't deserved selection most of the year but I'm happy to eat humble pie on the back of this game. I think in the past he's struggled being in the same team as Halatau, Buchanan and an underperforming Sironen, but in a restructured pack with plenty of aggro and go-forward he really came in to his own. He and Fine and Chee Kam are poles apart, but with the right players around him he could prove valuable.

It's probably premature but I'd drop Grant before I drop Lovett now.
8. Woods
10. Ava
11. Lawrence
12. Halatau
13. Sue
14. Sirro
15. Aloiai
16. Lovett
17. Chee Kam/Grant

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 8:51 pm

I must say Lovett has been a huge improver over last year..

His defence is solid and whilst his attack is one dimensional, he chalks up the meters.

He has become the Liam Fulton of this team

stevied

Post by stevied » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:54 pm

Agreed, Rankin was a class act at the back and was solid in every facet of full back play. Lovett toiled well, like most of the forwards, and if he shackled Inglis, that's a massive achievement!