Rankin and Lovett

Tigermama

Re: Rankin and Lovett

Post by Tigermama » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:34 pm

They both played well, but we won the game because we played as a team.
We played smart footy, with pride, toughness and discipline.
As for Rankin, i like to see him have a turn playing in the halves.
Lovett was decent Thursday night. Hope he continues to improve.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sat 30 Apr, 2016 10:27 pm

I like Rankin, though just not particularly as a winger - I suspect we'll see much more of him at fullback, especially after training there full time. He's no Teddy, but he'll be a very handy back up there IMO.

As for Lovett, I'm not a massive fan. He is better through the middle and should never really play on the edge again IMO, but even through the middle he gets dominated far too often, can't generate a quick play-the-ball, and by the same token gives up quick play-the-balls.
His work ethic is without peer, so I can definitely see why JT relies on him, but I just wish we had some genuine quality in our 17 rather than honest tryers that are lacking.

LCA

Post by LCA » Sun 01 May, 2016 7:43 am

Rankin has been terrific all year. Hope he finds a regular spot in the top squad. He is great utility value and a real goer. Good on ya, Jordan!

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 01 May, 2016 8:33 am

Lovett will get better as he gains experience, at present very much a work in progress, but the effort is there every week unlike a couple of other forwards that do not turn up to play some weeks.

Rankin is not a natural winger but seems to be a quick learner. I think no1 will suit has game and my gut feeling is he will do a very good job. High ball is still a bit of a worry, but that seems the case for all our outside backs except Teddy

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 01 May, 2016 10:27 am

supercoach wrote:Lovett will get better as he gains experience, at present very much a work in progress, but the effort is there every week unlike a couple of other forwards that do not turn up to play some weeks.

Rankin is not a natural winger but seems to be a quick learner. I think no1 will suit has game and my gut feeling is he will do a very good job. High ball is still a bit of a worry, but that seems the case for all our outside backs except Teddy

Think you are absolutely incorrect with the high ball.

CocaCola

Post by CocaCola » Sun 01 May, 2016 1:27 pm

LCA wrote:Rankin has been terrific all year. Hope he finds a regular spot in the top squad. He is great utility value and a real goer. Good on ya, Jordan!
Rankin has been great in 1 game only (his last). Average at best in all his previous games, even though playing out of position.
On paper he can cover fb and halves, but he hasn't had the opportunity to prove himself in the NRL in any of those positions yet. Too early to tell if he will be a great utility player based on 1 solid performance.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 02 May, 2016 8:44 am

My worry for Rankin is that because we have been spoiled with Ted at the back that anything less from Jordan will be considered a failure. This forum is unfairly harsh sometimes.

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 02 May, 2016 11:37 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:My worry for Rankin is that because we have been spoiled with Ted at the back that anything less from Jordan will be considered a failure. This forum is unfairly harsh sometimes.
Was thinking the same.

He wont be as good as Teddy. Tedesco is in world beating form at the moment. Figure plenty will be making the comparison.

Same happened when Rowe filled in, he did an adequate job (only) and was crucified, fill ins are behind first choice for a reason.

TopTiger

Post by TopTiger » Mon 02 May, 2016 12:52 pm

Hunt may get the nod ahead of Rankin at fullback given his current form and selection in NSW Residents team.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 02 May, 2016 2:49 pm

TopTiger wrote:Hunt may get the nod ahead of Rankin at fullback given his current form and selection in NSW Residents team.
No chance Taylor penciled Rankins name in months ago as Teddy's shadow and we all know JT doesn't have an eraser.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 02 May, 2016 2:57 pm

Goose wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:My worry for Rankin is that because we have been spoiled with Ted at the back that anything less from Jordan will be considered a failure. This forum is unfairly harsh sometimes.
Was thinking the same.

He wont be as good as Teddy. Tedesco is in world beating form at the moment. Figure plenty will be making the comparison.

Same happened when Rowe filled in, he did an adequate job (only) and was crucified, fill ins are behind first choice for a reason.
Rowe was poor IMO, Rankin will be a definite step up from that.

Rankin has done a good job on the wing IMO, especially since it's far from his preferred position. He may well fare a great deal better at fullback, may get to use his running game without fear of being bundled over the sideline as well.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...