A ton of character

goldcoast tiger

Re: A ton of character

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 3:21 pm

turnstyle wrote:
Black'n'White wrote:
yeti wrote:I thought our starting props last night were tremendous. Our whole pack stood up. Lawrence was strong and I thought Brooks had his best game of the season. Maybe he just 'sits back' a bit when Moses is in the team. It was a relatively poor quality game, but it was great to watch the boys celebrate the win. A great feeling being a Tiger supporter this week!
Yeah, I kind of get the feeling Brooks knows his form isnt great, and Moses is travelling a bit better so funnels a bit too much work through Moses. I would say its a confidence thing, Because when Brooks is forced to just concentrate on his own work he goes well.

Its kind of as though when both Lawrence and Anasta were there they offered very little playmaking options, so its just an eyes up game for Brooks... once there is a livewire attatched such as Moses he trys to play organiser and kind of disappears, which isnt a terrible thing though is oddly unbalanced. I say its not terrible because we also have Teddy able to playmake as well, which we have seen.

It makes me wonder if Lawrence could become more of an offensive line general and take a little work of Brooks plate that way Robbie, Luke and Mitch could play more what they see knowing Lawrence or someone has the rest of the squad where the playmakers should expect them to be.
since last night i have been really interested in this. at the start of the game i was disappointed moses wasnt in, but immediately thought having a strong defender (who'd have thought we'd be saying that about lawrence when he first started?!!! hope for our halves yet...) at 6 could be the right balance for the team.

everyone loves to have the showstopper playmakers - and i think it is just a matter of the "Broses" (awesome portmanteau by previous poster!!) complementing each other rather than sort of cancelling each other out - but at the moment it seemed to be what the team needed holistically.

i dont know. anyone got any examples of great halves combinations from over the years? were they all one stoic, one flashy?

sterling and kenny, langer and lewis... i dont know about current combinations off the top of my head, but the question is are there pairs who are both similar type players? or is it a matter of needing a balance between 6 and 7?

even if this is historically true, theres no reason two the same type cant work out; could be very advantageous actually, with the opposition having to second guess who will do what.

Gould probably got it right last year, when he said that they were both halfbacks, and too much alike.
It certainly looks like they play better without the other one , than they do together

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 3:30 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:What a difference 5 days makes.

Credit where credit is due. I was as vicious as anyone on these players last week, now i have nothing but praise. They were bashed from pillar to post all week, and i think most would have been happy to get within 20 of Souths. But they came out ready to play. Sure Souths weren't there in the first half, but take what you can get atm. 2 weeks ago the Storm didn't turn up either and we bumbled and fumbled. Not tonight, tonight we turned up. Even in the second half when they got their mojo back we could have easily folded like we have many times in the last 12 months. Credit to all 17 players. And don't forget they lost Moses literally as they were walking out the tunnel.

And stuff it, you know what, credit to JT. The guy people bash week after week for not having this team motivated and ready to go. He was a dead man walking all week. He did his job this week, and after one of the worst weeks in the clubs history. Job well done.
They certainly showed that they were going to get some pride in their performances back, right from the start, and deserve all the praise they got for the game.
The forwards played like everyone's been wanting them to.
And the defence was so much better.
Now the job for the team is to show that they can play like that on a regular basis, if they can do that then maybe the season isn't dead.
But congratulations to the whole team.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 3:53 pm

Twas great to see Brooks grow in confidence as the game went on. Started off going for intercepts on our own line again, finished off putting on good hits chasing his own kicks.
Kicking game was mostly very good too.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 4:21 pm

ricksen wrote:Twas great to see Brooks grow in confidence as the game went on. Started off going for intercepts on our own line again, finished off putting on good hits chasing his own kicks.
Kicking game was mostly very good too.
I really believe that he showed a lot of maturity last night after realising that with his co-half missing he had to stand up and provide some leadership for the team. It was a case of a setback becoming an inspiration. Heart warming to watch.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 5:20 pm

Highs:
overall performance, good gutsy win :D
Lows:
that damn 5 min period before and 5 min straight after half time conceding points again. :roll: :crazy :oops:
if this can be fixed somehow, the team will benefit tremendously.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 5:42 pm

Heart that is all a supporter can ask for well done all! :sign:

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 8:34 pm

turnstyle wrote: i dont know. anyone got any examples of great halves combinations from over the years? were they all one stoic, one flashy?

sterling and kenny, langer and lewis... i dont know about current combinations off the top of my head, but the question is are there pairs who are both similar type players? or is it a matter of needing a balance between 6 and 7?

even if this is historically true, theres no reason two the same type cant work out; could be very advantageous actually, with the opposition having to second guess who will do what.
In terms of modern combinations I'd say the two best in the game are Morgan/Thurston, Milford/Hunt and Foran/Norman. I think Moses has the agility and ability to be a Morgan sort of player, just lacking a bit of size to be Norman, and if Brooks turns out half the player Foran is then we'd be going fine. He has the defensive ability when he wants to and a great running game (again when he wants to), it's just a matter of consistency and reliability which is what makes Foran so good. He's a similar player to Ben Hunt too, and we all saw how much time it took him to grow in to the player he is today.
Like others have said though, they seem to each play better when they're the sole playmaker, which is a bit of worry for two players who have supposedly spent so much time together and know each other's games perfectly. I think Brooks definitely takes a back seat to the (supposedly) in form Moses, but over time they've got plenty of potential to gel and really let each other grow in to the players everyone knows they can be. With time they'll learn that it doesn't have to be one solid, one flashy and they can share the responsibility equally, and hopefully then we'll see the best of them collectively and really push for a premiership.

stevied

Post by stevied » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:07 pm

A magnificent win against the odds. With all the adversity, surely it one of the best ever Wests Tigers victory! Well done to all concerned. Let's use it as a springboard towards further success by continuing to show pride in the Tigers jumper, eliminating unnecessary errors, reducing penalties and showing commitment in goal line defense. Well done to everyone, Taylor included.