A ton of character

tigertye

Re: A ton of character

Post by tigertye » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:47 pm

Credit where credit is due, a win going into a week off is going to pay dividends for the teams confidence and hopefully we'll have some players back on the park too.

There's the ongoing concerns with the 30-60 minute period of games. We could've won a lot more games this year if we didn't let teams back into the game. We're probably one or two experienced signings in the front/back row away from getting this right with a focus on defence during this period. Elijah Taylor would be a great signing. Probably would push Sue back to the bench which would allow us some good energy coming on fresh. Too many rookies on at the same time at the moment.

The thing i liked the most about tonight was the maturity at the end of the game. We did it against the Storm to and got back in the game. Robbie stood up and guided Brooks tonight and it was good to see that control at the back end. We didn't panic. I'd like us to try and get more repeat sets in their 20 which we seemed to do a bit tonight, just kick to the in goal and trap the players. Weve had a tendency to always push passes and we lose the ball early and end up defending more than we have to. Just keep it simple and build pressure and the points will come.

One slightly random observation I've made over the last few weeks is Sue lifting his knee before contact. He needs to get it out of his game. Anyone else noticing this?

At times I wonder if fans blame on Taylor is warranted, yeah, there's some dopey selections, but I think he is putting us in the right direction. Sometimes I wonder if any coach outside the Haslers, Bellamys, Bennetts could even be successful with our team. We've had way too many bad habits for way too long and our cap situation hasn't helped anyone. We've also had a primary focus on developing youth, we're finally at the stage now we're they're coming to the make or break years and i think that we just need a few experienced players to really compliment our team and help us get to the key issue for many years....CONSISTENCY.

All in all, good win by the boys, we could've thrown in the towel, but we dug deep and got away with the win and effort and pride in the jersey is all us poor old WT fans want.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:49 pm

Tony33 wrote:On the game itself it was great to see because some of our most maligned players were probably our best tonight.

Rankin
Brooks
Farah
Lovett
Sironen
These guys were all great. At the end of the game you could see that they were all stoked and that they get along as well.

I hate hearing the BS regarding how Robbie runs the team and all the rest. I give him hell for his poor plays and I was spewing when he ran it and lost it from dummy half today but he has been one of our best all season and he really puts in.

Lastly well done to JT. We came out missing some key players and we lost our best player but we toughed it out and won. We also really used some skill to win the game. It wasn't just 5 tackles and then a mid-field bomb.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:57 pm

Unreal. What I love to see. Playing as a team. Now consistency.
"Quality Stupidity"

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:00 pm

I say we should forget about dwelling on negatives tonight, and where we need to improve. The club and it's supporters just endured the longest 5 days, perhaps since the clubs inception. The last thing anyone of us was thinking about was winning tonight. Just showing pride in the jumper and being competitive would have satisfied most of us. We deserve to soak up the win, we have 2 and a half weeks to worry about what needs to be worked on.

All i will say about our next game is the Dogs are there to be beaten. No, it's not adrenalin talking, it's someone who believes the Dogs are the most overrated side in the comp. The last few weeks they've been beaten by the Warriors, and just scraped over the line against the Titans. Plus they will have Hoppa missing who'll be off somewhere bothering God, while we will have at least 2 or 3 guys coming back into our side.

Our season has a pulse.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:01 pm

:wahoo: We did it :D We Won!

Well done to the boys and the coaching stuff.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:03 pm

Got texts from 2 Mates that don't even follow the Tigers and said that Farah was instrumental which i agreed.
Tackled his ring off, the short kicking was brilliant, set up that vital try to Nofouluma on the blind side late in the game, thought he took the wrong option in the 1st half when he tried to go from dummy half and it wasn't on.
Lawrence was massive so was Aloiai even Sirro and Lovett had great games :shock:.
When Teddy came off we lost our way in attack.

Will gladly take the 2 points.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:06 pm

A ton of character and a ton of fresh faces. It's only one win, but one leads to another.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:14 pm

Brooksy definitely played better without Mosses in the side. Really took charge, and made some smart decisions.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:20 pm

It's tough to really express this without swearing, but my god I love beating that mob, regardless of circumstance.
Analysis etc later, let's enjoy it tonight.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:29 pm

ricksen wrote:It's tough to really express this without swearing, but my god I love beating that mob, regardless of circumstance.
Analysis etc later, let's enjoy it tonight.
Lol... Me too. I dislike them immensely.

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:04 am

It was a good performance considering the areas we were undermanned in and the hammering the side got all week ( which they deserved every bit of and more...)

Wasnt a great game of footy. Pretty aweful in fact but we finally stood up. Souths looked like rolling us straight after half time and were well on their way to doing so. Great to see the boys stick to the plan and not panic in attack.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:08 am

I'd love to see Lawrence snatch a Blues jersey somehow before his career is done. He deserved one years ago when he was consistently overlooked as the best centre in the comp and his regeneration into a backrower is amazing.

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 6:05 am

Without our two starting Props,losing our 5/8 in the warm up and our best player at halftime,to win was very un Tigers like,we've never handled adversity.
But, we saw career best games by Sironen,Lovett,Aloiai. I was surprised by Brooks composure for most of the game,just wished he'd aim for the grass more with his kicks.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:44 am

Boys really stood up last night , they have copped heaps for poor performances and so has the coach so credit where it's due , we can all relax a little enjoy the win and get ready for our next game
Brooks stood up and took them on
Josh and his new contract , maybe it was on his mind now he can just play footy
Robbie was good
Jessy sue strong
Chris , well we now what he is like puts in every time but stood tall , very tall
Rest of the boys all had a go
It was great to see

yeti

Post by yeti » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:15 pm

I thought our starting props last night were tremendous. Our whole pack stood up. Lawrence was strong and I thought Brooks had his best game of the season. Maybe he just 'sits back' a bit when Moses is in the team. It was a relatively poor quality game, but it was great to watch the boys celebrate the win. A great feeling being a Tiger supporter this week!

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 2:13 pm

yeti wrote:I thought our starting props last night were tremendous. Our whole pack stood up. Lawrence was strong and I thought Brooks had his best game of the season. Maybe he just 'sits back' a bit when Moses is in the team. It was a relatively poor quality game, but it was great to watch the boys celebrate the win. A great feeling being a Tiger supporter this week!
Yeah, I kind of get the feeling Brooks knows his form isnt great, and Moses is travelling a bit better so funnels a bit too much work through Moses. I would say its a confidence thing, Because when Brooks is forced to just concentrate on his own work he goes well.

Its kind of as though when both Lawrence and Anasta were there they offered very little playmaking options, so its just an eyes up game for Brooks... once there is a livewire attatched such as Moses he trys to play organiser and kind of disappears, which isnt a terrible thing though is oddly unbalanced. I say its not terrible because we also have Teddy able to playmake as well, which we have seen.

It makes me wonder if Lawrence could become more of an offensive line general and take a little work of Brooks plate that way Robbie, Luke and Mitch could play more what they see knowing Lawrence or someone has the rest of the squad where the playmakers should expect them to be.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 2:56 pm

tigertye wrote:
One slightly random observation I've made over the last few weeks is Sue lifting his knee before contact. He needs to get it out of his game. Anyone else noticing this?
great post, TT, but this particularly i did notice. i really dont like it - much like a player leading with an elbow when hitting it up. he seems by no means a dirty player, but i can be overly watchful of when a tigers player does anything even close to being so!
players from other teams can do it - just not my tiges!! :lol:

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 3:08 pm

Black'n'White wrote:
yeti wrote:I thought our starting props last night were tremendous. Our whole pack stood up. Lawrence was strong and I thought Brooks had his best game of the season. Maybe he just 'sits back' a bit when Moses is in the team. It was a relatively poor quality game, but it was great to watch the boys celebrate the win. A great feeling being a Tiger supporter this week!
Yeah, I kind of get the feeling Brooks knows his form isnt great, and Moses is travelling a bit better so funnels a bit too much work through Moses. I would say its a confidence thing, Because when Brooks is forced to just concentrate on his own work he goes well.

Its kind of as though when both Lawrence and Anasta were there they offered very little playmaking options, so its just an eyes up game for Brooks... once there is a livewire attatched such as Moses he trys to play organiser and kind of disappears, which isnt a terrible thing though is oddly unbalanced. I say its not terrible because we also have Teddy able to playmake as well, which we have seen.

It makes me wonder if Lawrence could become more of an offensive line general and take a little work of Brooks plate that way Robbie, Luke and Mitch could play more what they see knowing Lawrence or someone has the rest of the squad where the playmakers should expect them to be.
since last night i have been really interested in this. at the start of the game i was disappointed moses wasnt in, but immediately thought having a strong defender (who'd have thought we'd be saying that about lawrence when he first started?!!! hope for our halves yet...) at 6 could be the right balance for the team.

everyone loves to have the showstopper playmakers - and i think it is just a matter of the "Broses" (awesome portmanteau by previous poster!!) complementing each other rather than sort of cancelling each other out - but at the moment it seemed to be what the team needed holistically.

i dont know. anyone got any examples of great halves combinations from over the years? were they all one stoic, one flashy?

sterling and kenny, langer and lewis... i dont know about current combinations off the top of my head, but the question is are there pairs who are both similar type players? or is it a matter of needing a balance between 6 and 7?

even if this is historically true, theres no reason two the same type cant work out; could be very advantageous actually, with the opposition having to second guess who will do what.