A few observations

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

A few observations

Post by old man tiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:08 pm

Looked like we decided we were going to win no matter what. Less penalties, better ball handling, nearly no one in the backline started and finished in the same position. Moses out, teddy played half a game, seriously, effort can't be praised enough.

Defence still iffy, but scramble ok.

I don't care how bad souffs were, boohoo, Newcastle beat us for heavens sake! The quality of the opposition is truly irrelevant when we play. Our own decision making loses us more games than any other factor, and that was the difference tonight.

17 blokes wearing the same jersey, pulling in the same direction is all that matters.

I honestly don't know what to make of JT, when we appear shot we seem to respond better under him with a weaker squad than we did between 2006 and 2012 with a reasonable roster. But so much of what he says and does I disagree with. The main thing is the players aren't trying to throw him under the bus, they are having a dig most of the time and showed they at least have some ticker tonight.

Lawrence is a great leader.

Brooks will be fine if he just focuses on underplaying his hand, which is the opposite of what he does by instinct. The ball is in his court.

The hugs at the end were great.

that old fool rabid warren called Felise aloiai twice in two rucks, one of which involved an offload from the real aloiai. Isn't he embarrassed?

Rankin is a solid player, I liked his enthusiasm and he is head and shoulders the next best fullback we have.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:15 pm

Yup it was funny from the 9 commentators with our players.... Rabbs goes ......I think its pronounced feline.....well it is in the cat family Ray !!!!!!
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

razor7

Post by razor7 » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:17 pm

Lots of courage and commitment tonight. I'm not a Robbie lover but he not only played well his post game comments on JT seemed genuine and were good to hear. two points- we're better off without Moses. He can't tackle and has an awful kicking game. Look how much better Brooks was with Lawrence outside him.Secondly our right side defensive positioning ( Kevvie and Nofa ) was embarrassingly poor. Both can tackle but can't read a game defensively. Anyway, well done boys!

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:18 pm

He is a joke maxxy. He called grevsmuhl Lovett when discussing the concussion too.

zowieben

Post by zowieben » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:22 pm

I can't work out why we get penalised so heavily yet obvious penalties never seem to come our way. 2 penalties for us tonight, one in the first 5 minutes and the other for a dangerous tackle. When Goodwin chased the bomb near the end and flipped over a tackle, the entire Souths team was offside except 1 player, again no penalty. Never got 1 offside or ruck penalty the entire game. Against Newcastle I don't think we got 1 penalty the entire game except for high tackles. I think we must get the least penalties awarded in the entire comp.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:25 pm

Yup heard that too old man.....had to laugh but anyways.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:31 pm

zowieben wrote:I can't work out why we get penalised so heavily yet obvious penalties never seem to come our way. 2 penalties for us tonight, one in the first 5 minutes and the other for a dangerous tackle. When Goodwin chased the bomb near the end and flipped over a tackle, the entire Souths team was offside except 1 player, again no penalty. Never got 1 offside or ruck penalty the entire game. Against Newcastle I don't think we got 1 penalty the entire game except for high tackles. I think we must get the least penalties awarded in the entire comp.
Its a huge issue week after week. What got my goat tonight was the penalty against Lawrence in the second half for slowing the play on the first tackle after the drop out. That was a 100% standard time to get off the player by Lawrence and yet it drew a penalty and they scored from the next set. Its simply not good enough and we should not refrain from criticising the referees or else it will never improve.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:37 pm

I loved the Lawrence at 6 idea

Defensively he is a massive improvement and he straightens us up in attack

I think we have enough points in us and you could still play Moses off the bench as a back up hooker /half if we keep brooks on the other side

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:48 pm

Although Rankin was one if our best tonight , his goal kicking is poor .
His lead up before striking the ball is too short IMO
He needs to go back 3 strides and 2 strides to the left . At the moment he's stabbing at the ball.
Just my observation
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:51 pm

Without throwing a cold wet towel over our win, my observation was souths were woeful and they still nearly beat us. I'll leave it at that

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:51 pm

happy tiger wrote:I loved the Lawrence at 6 idea

I think we have enough points in us and you could still play Moses off the bench as a back up hooker /half if we keep brooks on the other side
Not a bad idea that. Certainly worked in the trials when Brooks played off the bench. Might also be a way of playing Broses into 1sts rather than throwing them in the deep end. Problem is who takes Rowdy's spot in the 2nd row?

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:55 pm

thank god livestream had fox sports commentary not ch9

its bloody chaos on ch9 - absolute trash

im understanding this season why people literally mute that crap its #!@#ing crap. when you have the commentary side by side it really does make it clear which is amateur hour
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:55 pm

happy tiger wrote:I loved the Lawrence at 6 idea

Nooo that just justifies Tim Sheens' opinion that Lawrence is DEFINITELY a 6. LOL
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:56 pm

TIGER wrote:Without throwing a cold wet towel over our win, my observation was souths were woeful and they still nearly beat us. I'll leave it at that
And that says a lot about you - cant mention the adversity under which the win was achieved, just that the opposition was poor, which it was.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:06 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:
TIGER wrote:Without throwing a cold wet towel over our win, my observation was souths were woeful and they still nearly beat us. I'll leave it at that
And that says a lot about you - cant mention the adversity under which the win was achieved, just that the opposition was poor, which it was.
Tiger old mate,South's were woeful...but the Tigers were tremendous after a huge battering last week....great intestinal fortitude shown by the team and coach...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:11 pm

pHyR3 wrote:thank god livestream had fox sports commentary not ch9

its bloody chaos on ch9 - absolute trash

im understanding this season why people literally mute that crap its #!@#ing crap. when you have the commentary side by side it really does make it clear which is amateur hour
Andrew Voss and Warren Smith are brilliant and thoroughly enjoy there commentary and views.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Sully

Post by Sully » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:16 pm

Gutsy win

Not many sides can adjust to so many changes yet credit where credit is due we did.
Last week I was ashamed but tonight they played with heart and that's all I want to see. Brooks can tackle !!!! Hope Teddy is just a strain and he is back for the doggies.

Whilst we need to improve tonight showed some of the media report are rubbish. Morale looks to be good with the players.

In regards to Nine they are garbage and only hurt the NRL, be it the Footy Show or commentary where Rabs or Gus start talking rubbish that has nothing to do with the game.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:52 pm

Well Newcastle were woeful when they beat us in a game e should not have lost. The days first grade rugby league is so much of a mind and confidence game,