A few observations

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6392
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: A few observations

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 7:02 pm

Snake wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Gary Bakerloo wrote:
happy tiger wrote:I loved the Lawrence at 6 idea

Defensively he is a massive improvement and he straightens us up in attack

I think we have enough points in us and you could still play Moses off the bench as a back up hooker /half if we keep brooks on the other side
The role of Lawrence was very interesting to me. With all due respect to our preferred starting "spine", are we one ball player too heavy in this area?

Brooks looked a completely different player. Without seeing stats, to me he got more touhes with the ball, but critically, he looked a lot better with guys around him running straight and hard. Farah also played well and could it be this was from knowing he had three options, forward run, brooks or go himself.

As I said, nothing against the preferred spine. However, we looked calmer last night when close to the line. With all 4 starting, do we have too many chiefs, too many options and that leads to indecision?

It was raised in the press conference with Taylor.
Bloody good point and I'd never even considered it

Too many cooks in the kitchen , Tedesco can play as the 2nd ballplayer and having a 6 who can straighten us up is ideal

Have we stumbled onto the key to the WT's and some success ??
I never take to much out of an individual game..last night was what it was fill ins all over the park and a jagged win.Rowdy has to go back to the forwards ,Taylor has to persist with the 2 halves just to talented not to,Rowdy has found his spot!.
In a game when there should have been a fair bit of confusion early, surprisingly, there wasn't any.
Rowdy slotted in there without any problems . Right from the start playing in the same team when they were/are still learning, was killing them, but he may be the experience and steadiness that one of them needs.
Don't know what we do with the one left out as we look like having both at least for next year. Maybe it was just a bit of luck , but maybe this is Chris's place. But we'd need a second rower to replace him with


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41149
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 7:06 pm

You can still have him a back rower , Moses off the bench can play some 6/9 ....

I can't believe how this simple move ,makes so much sense and I didn't see it

It kills off so many issues in our backline when you think of it

WOW seriously WOW

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29643
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 7:08 pm

Ok Tim....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1237
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am

Post by old man tiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 7:55 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Snake wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Gary Bakerloo wrote:
The role of Lawrence was very interesting to me. With all due respect to our preferred starting "spine", are we one ball player too heavy in this area?

Brooks looked a completely different player. Without seeing stats, to me he got more touhes with the ball, but critically, he looked a lot better with guys around him running straight and hard. Farah also played well and could it be this was from knowing he had three options, forward run, brooks or go himself.

As I said, nothing against the preferred spine. However, we looked calmer last night when close to the line. With all 4 starting, do we have too many chiefs, too many options and that leads to indecision?

It was raised in the press conference with Taylor.
Bloody good point and I'd never even considered it

Too many cooks in the kitchen , Tedesco can play as the 2nd ballplayer and having a 6 who can straighten us up is ideal

Have we stumbled onto the key to the WT's and some success ??
I never take to much out of an individual game..last night was what it was fill ins all over the park and a jagged win.Rowdy has to go back to the forwards ,Taylor has to persist with the 2 halves just to talented not to,Rowdy has found his spot!.
In a game when there should have been a fair bit of confusion early, surprisingly, there wasn't any.
Rowdy slotted in there without any problems . Right from the start playing in the same team when they were/are still learning, was killing them, but he may be the experience and steadiness that one of them needs.
Don't know what we do with the one left out as we look like having both at least for next year. Maybe it was just a bit of luck , but maybe this is Chris's place. But we'd need a second rower to replace him with
Guys I remember posting something very similar in 2006 or 2007 on the old forum, under a different user name (was too young for this one lol)

I felt we always played better when one of prince, Farah, Hodgson or Marshall were out, but really struggled without 2 or more.

I think sheensius figured it out when he signed that young fella, Jonny Cronk, but it never quite worked.

On a related note, I remember when Souths were coming back at us and we had a couple of sets to defend our own line. CL was there, in the middle, making tackles that broses might not have made. It is for for thought.

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3743
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:12 pm

old man tiger wrote:Looked like we decided we were going to win no matter what. Less penalties, better ball handling, nearly no one in the backline started and finished in the same position. Moses out, teddy played half a game, seriously, effort can't be praised enough.

Defence still iffy, but scramble ok.

I don't care how bad souffs were, boohoo, Newcastle beat us for heavens sake! The quality of the opposition is truly irrelevant when we play. Our own decision making loses us more games than any other factor, and that was the difference tonight.

17 blokes wearing the same jersey, pulling in the same direction is all that matters.

I honestly don't know what to make of JT, when we appear shot we seem to respond better under him with a weaker squad than we did between 2006 and yy2012 with a reasonable roster. But so much of what he says and does I disagree with. The main thing is the players aren't trying to throw him under the bus, they are having a dig most of the time and showed they at least have some ticker tonight.

Lawrence is a great leader.

Brooks will be fine if he just focuses on underplaying his hand, which is the opposite of what he does by instinct. The ball is in his court.

The hugs at the end were great.

that old fool rabid warren called Felise aloiai twice in two rucks, one of which involved an offload from the real aloiai. Isn't he embarrassed?

Rankin is a solid player, I liked his enthusiasm and he is head and shoulders the next best fullback we have.
Not sure fox was much better. At one stage Fine was Felise, and Aloiai was chee kam, who was also Fine etc. The commentators may well have just referred to all of them as islanders off the bench


User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3743
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:15 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:Although Rankin was one if our best tonight , his goal kicking is poor .
His lead up before striking the ball is too short IMO
He needs to go back 3 strides and 2 strides to the left . At the moment he's stabbing at the ball.
Just my observation
I think he needs to shuffle back and forwards and jump up a couple of times before running in

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:23 pm

JT was one of the best goal kickers of all time, he should be helping Rankin with his kicking. We need to be better at converting 4 points to 6 every time, then we would have been in better position to win more games.

User avatar
stevied
Member
Member
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:45 am

Post by stevied » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:48 pm

razor7 wrote:Lots of courage and commitment tonight. I'm not a Robbie lover but he not only played well his post game comments on JT seemed genuine and were good to hear. two points- we're better off without Moses. He can't tackle and has an awful kicking game. Look how much better Brooks was with Lawrence outside him.Secondly our right side defensive positioning ( Kevvie and Nofa ) was embarrassingly poor. Both can tackle but can't read a game defensively. Anyway, well done boys!
Interesting observation about Moses. I like Mitch but I was wondering the same thing about Brooks. Did he have more freedom to play his game? I thought Luke had his best game for a long time His passing and kicking were much better and he actually made several effective, front on tackles.

Our overall defense still needs a lot of work but I thought there was more commitment at the goal line. The main thing is that we showed enormous heart against the odds, following a massive loss and, in that way, it was, maybe The Wests Tigers best ever win.

Tigermama
Member
Member
Posts: 4351
Joined: Sat 14 Jun, 2014 12:33 am

Post by Tigermama » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:49 pm

old man tiger wrote:Looked like we decided we were going to win no matter what. Less penalties, better ball handling, nearly no one in the backline started and finished in the same position. Moses out, teddy played half a game, seriously, effort can't be praised enough.

Defence still iffy, but scramble ok.

I don't care how bad souffs were, boohoo, Newcastle beat us for heavens sake! The quality of the opposition is truly irrelevant when we play. Our own decision making loses us more games than any other factor, and that was the difference tonight.

17 blokes wearing the same jersey, pulling in the same direction is all that matters.

I honestly don't know what to make of JT, when we appear shot we seem to respond better under him with a weaker squad than we did between 2006 and 2012 with a reasonable roster. But so much of what he says and does I disagree with. The main thing is the players aren't trying to throw him under the bus, they are having a dig most of the time and showed they at least have some ticker tonight.

Lawrence is a great leader.

Brooks will be fine if he just focuses on underplaying his hand, which is the opposite of what he does by instinct. The ball is in his court.

The hugs at the end were great.

that old fool rabid warren called Felise aloiai twice in two rucks, one of which involved an offload from the real aloiai. Isn't he embarrassed?

Rankin is a solid player, I liked his enthusiasm and he is head and shoulders the next best fullback we have.

The hugs were great at the end. Full of emotion, pride and relief. Wonderful to see. :)

Gary Bakerloo
Member
Member
Posts: 2463
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 02 May, 2016 7:07 am

old man tiger wrote:

On a related note, I remember when Souths were coming back at us and we had a couple of sets to defend our own line. CL was there, in the middle, making tackles that broses might not have made. It is for for thought.
Defensively, that is the other bonus. You only need to protect one halfback defensively, not two.

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 02 May, 2016 8:39 am

Quote goldcoasttiger: " In a game when there should have been a fair bit of confusion early, surprisingly, there wasn't any."
Yes! It speaks volumes about the high quality of our coaching that the team can take fairly major changes, at short notice, in their stride and play as a team.
It looks like JTs long term structural and attitude plans are working.
"Quality Stupidity"

Post Reply