A few observations

stryker

Re: A few observations

Post by stryker » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:36 am

Our right side defence is dispicably embarrassing.
What has happened to Kevvy and Nofo? At the start of the year they were hammering people. Now they are constantly out of position and finger grabbing. They were our weak link tonight and have been several times now.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 5:38 am

It was a very gutsy effort under difficult circumstances.As others have said our right hand side defence was terrible with constant miss reads.It was great to wake up this morning with a win.

Whoever it was that decided Brown should go is an idiot he was souths best forward tonight and caused us a lot of trouble as he seems to do every week.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 6:08 am

stryker wrote:Our right side defence is dispicably embarrassing.
What has happened to Kevvy and Nofo? At the start of the year they were hammering people. Now they are constantly out of position and finger grabbing. They were our weak link tonight and have been several times now.
I think we underestimate how important Moses is to our right side defence. That may say strange considering how much he cops it about defence. But his decision making and communication is exactly what Kev and Nofo need inside them. Believe it or not they missed Moses defending inside them. No one communicates better than Mitch and when you have 2 outside backs that can make bad decisions, its vital to have a good decision maker inside them talking all the time.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 7:06 am

happy tiger wrote:I loved the Lawrence at 6 idea

Defensively he is a massive improvement and he straightens us up in attack

I think we have enough points in us and you could still play Moses off the bench as a back up hooker /half if we keep brooks on the other side
The role of Lawrence was very interesting to me. With all due respect to our preferred starting "spine", are we one ball player too heavy in this area?

Brooks looked a completely different player. Without seeing stats, to me he got more touhes with the ball, but critically, he looked a lot better with guys around him running straight and hard. Farah also played well and could it be this was from knowing he had three options, forward run, brooks or go himself.

As I said, nothing against the preferred spine. However, we looked calmer last night when close to the line. With all 4 starting, do we have too many chiefs, too many options and that leads to indecision?

It was raised in the press conference with Taylor.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 7:10 am

old man tiger wrote:
The hugs at the end were great.
That was my favourite part of the whole match. Shows they are still genuinely playing for each other and care about winning.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 8:50 am

We did well to walk away with the 2 points
We looked shot when they started to make a come back
The defence at the start was solid, quick off the line and hitting hard however at the start of 2nd half when the bunnies starting to put points on our defence started to doubt itself
It went back to the holding back and sliding style which gave then ample offload chances

Watch the reply to see what I mean
I suspect it has a lot to d with confidence

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 8:52 am

PYMBLEPETE wrote:
TIGER wrote:Without throwing a cold wet towel over our win, my observation was souths were woeful and they still nearly beat us. I'll leave it at that
And that says a lot about you - cant mention the adversity under which the win was achieved, just that the opposition was poor, which it was.
And if you read some of my other posts, i praise us for turning it around, but I'm a realist and i call it like i see it and Souths we're terrible, i think everyone can agree that if we come up against a commited opposition this forum would be a lot different right now. Melbourne were almost as bad 2 weeks ago yet they still beat us.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 8:57 am

Love the WestsTigers wrote:We did well to walk away with the 2 points
The defence at the start was solid, quick off the line and hitting hard however at the start of 2nd half when the bunnies starting to put points on our defence started to doubt itself
It went back to the holding back and sliding style which gave then ample offload chances

It has a lot to do with losing the ruck and fatigue, having to back up and make effort after effort. Once a team gets a roll on and we have to pick ourselves up off the ground and get to marker quickly we fall apart, we're bad at reseting our defensive line and dominating a ruck once we lose it and it usually leads to points. Last week was a classic example it was a tidal wave slowly rolling in and ww we're literally powerless against it.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:01 am

TIGER wrote:
Love the WestsTigers wrote:We did well to walk away with the 2 points

It has a lot to do with losing the ruck and fatigue, having to back up and make effort after effort. Once a team gets a roll on and we have to pick ourselves up off the ground and get to marker quickly we fall apart, we're bad at reseting our defensive line and dominating a ruck once we lose it and it usually leads to points. Last week was a classic example it was a tidal wave slowly rolling in and ww we're literally powerless against it.
Halatau had his best game last night but the poor bloke was so spent he didn't even bother getting into marker position so many times in the 2nd half.

Having no marker alone advanced them 10meters.

Not bagging anyone, they really gave it their all but those were the things I noticed

Twodogs

Post by Twodogs » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:49 am

TIGER wrote:Without throwing a cold wet towel over our win, my observation was souths were woeful and they still nearly beat us. I'll leave it at that
True. We made easy metres up the middle without Woods. Soufs have some serious issues.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:06 am

pHyR3 wrote:thank god livestream had fox sports commentary not ch9

its bloody chaos on ch9 - absolute trash

im understanding this season why people literally mute that crap its #!@#ing crap. when you have the commentary side by side it really does make it clear which is amateur hour
They were gearing themselves up for an 80 minute Souths love-a-thon. Gus even said right on kick off that he was expecting GI to make a statement, and you just know they were presenting it as a Souths redemption game and we were........just there. So glad we threw a bucket of ice water over that crap.

palms

Post by palms » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:12 am

I think it has been a blessing in disguise having Woods and Grant injured at the same time. Ava Seumanufagai has been nothing short of outstanding since Woods has been injured. The way he has stepped up into the senior prop position has been impressive considering he himself is still just 24. Likewise, Aloiai has really stepped up over the last few games and continues to get better. He hits hard and sticks in defense and looks to have a really good motor. For a 20yr old in just his 9th first grade game I believe he will become a really solid prop. Lets look at some stats since Woods has been out....

Ava

Round 7 - 16 runs 166m 24 tackles 0 missed 0 penalties 0 errors
Round 8 - 13 runs 117m 28 tackles 1 missed 0 penalties 0 errors
Round 9 - 14 runs 133m 28 tackles 1 missed 0 penalties 0 errors

I have always maintained that Ava is a starting prop. Once we are at full strength, Grant coming off the bench will ensure we maintain those quick play the balls and strong charges. Combined with Aloiai and JJ's leg speed and power hopefully those middle periods will become a lot stronger.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:39 am

Nofo is a terrific front-on defender, i.e. when he's set and they run straight at him. He dumped someone again last night, I think Gray.

But he is a hopeless slide and up-and-in defender, never seems to pick the right mark or moment when to stay in or out. So often when they shift left, he looks panicked.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:54 pm

Did anyone see Brooks hit Sam Burgess front on and put him on his back? Classic little man on big man front on tackle ala Ben Hunt. Admittedly Burgess was hitting it up like a cat.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 1:08 pm

TIGER wrote:
PYMBLEPETE wrote:
And that says a lot about you - cant mention the adversity under which the win was achieved, just that the opposition was poor, which it was.
And if you read some of my other posts, i praise us for turning it around, but I'm a realist and i call it like i see it and Souths we're terrible, i think everyone can agree that if we come up against a commited opposition this forum would be a lot different right now. Melbourne were almost as bad 2 weeks ago yet they still beat us.
Tiger you are right to be a realist, we are a long way off. My only issue with your view is where you say Souths nearly beat us. As we learnt against parra, the storm and newcastle nearly winning/losing has nothing to do with winning and losing. One gets you 0 points, the other gets you 2 points. I don't think we can put the boot in after close losses and then use the same arguments to criticise close victories. If you win 28 games in a season by one point you have won the grand final, so I'll take any win, over any quality opposition.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 6:12 pm

king sirro wrote:
I think we underestimate how important Moses is to our right side defence. That may say strange considering how much he cops it about defence. But his decision making and communication is exactly what Kev and Nofo need inside them. Believe it or not they missed Moses defending inside them. No one communicates better than Mitch and when you have 2 outside backs that can make bad decisions, its vital to have a good decision maker inside them talking all the time.
I think Naiqama's problem is he comes screaming out of the line and smashing fresh air too often and clubs are expecting him to do it , and Nofoaluma's always had issues as well

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 6:15 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:

I think we have enough points in us and you could still play Moses off the bench as a back up hooker /half if we keep brooks on the other side
The role of Lawrence was very interesting to me. With all due respect to our preferred starting "spine", are we one ball player too heavy in this area?

Brooks looked a completely different player. Without seeing stats, to me he got more touhes with the ball, but critically, he looked a lot better with guys around him running straight and hard. Farah also played well and could it be this was from knowing he had three options, forward run, brooks or go himself.

As I said, nothing against the preferred spine. However, we looked calmer last night when close to the line. With all 4 starting, do we have too many chiefs, too many options and that leads to indecision?

Bloody good point and I'd never even considered it

Too many cooks in the kitchen , Tedesco can play as the 2nd ballplayer and having a 6 who can straighten us up is ideal

Have we stumbled onto the key to the WT's and some success ??

Snake

Post by Snake » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 6:21 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Gary Bakerloo wrote:

Bloody good point and I'd never even considered it

Too many cooks in the kitchen , Tedesco can play as the 2nd ballplayer and having a 6 who can straighten us up is ideal

Have we stumbled onto the key to the WT's and some success ??
I never take to much out of an individual game..last night was what it was fill ins all over the park and a jagged win.Rowdy has to go back to the forwards ,Taylor has to persist with the 2 halves just to talented not to,Rowdy has found his spot!.