Lawrence = our true leader

Spartan117

Re: Lawrence = our true leader

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:05 am

I really respect this Man, has always shown himself to be all class and IMO sould have been our captain.

The instinct to salute the faithful crowd yesterday
The Double fist pump
The Composure and thoughtful answers in the Channel9 interview
The humility in changing positions
The negotiations to extend stay here

Yeah, I really like this guy

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:11 am

Ill put my hand up. Before his switch to the forward pack I wanted him gone. I thought the ROI on him was terrible and it would be best to cut ties.
Pleasingly he has taken to the backrow quite expediently and is always adding something to his play in this position. He has been reinvented as a player and now we are getting our moneys worth out of him.
Well done on another very solid performance.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:52 am

Always said he could be another Luke Lewis moving into the backrow. He's a born footballer, he was always going to make the adjustment.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:40 am

Lawrence's 10 and a half performance

Jack Brady Fri 29 Apr, 2016, 7:41am
By Jack Brady ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Wests Tigers veteran Chris Lawrence was already bound for the field when he was called back to the sheds and told he'd be assuming playmaker duties in his side's eventual 30-22 win over the Rabbitohs on Thursday night.

Five-eighth Mitchell Moses was ruled out after the Tigers' warm-up with a quad strain, unbeknown to most of his teammates who had already left ANZ Stadium's inner-sanctum.

The verdict on Moses's fitness apparently came 10 seconds before the scheduled kick-off, which left Tigers' staff little time to round up the players and deliver the bad news.

"We only found out about it when we were running out on to the field. We were halfway out the tunnel and we were pulled back because we weren't aware he had an issue," Tigers co-captain Dene Halatau said.

"I had left the sheds already and half of the team was just about on the field so we turned around and ran back up and JT let us know what was going on. Quick reshuffle and we didn't have much time to think about it."

Lawrence, known for his versatility throughout his 11-year career, was not daunted by the late positional shift.

"I was basically out of the tunnel and I hear this 'hang on' and I thought we weren't supposed to head out yet so I walked back in and they were like 'you're five-eighth now, mate'," Lawrence said.

"I've been playing the game long enough now and I've played in a number of positions so it didn't really faze me and that's probably why they put me there.

"Even though I hadn't trained there all week, we just had to tweak a few things with Mitch being out and (halfback Luke) Brooksy taking over all the kicking."

Lawrence was buoyed by the Tigers' ability to finally prove their worth after their past six games prior to beating South Sydney had ended in defeat.

It was only five days before their win over Souths that they were comprehensively beaten 60-6 by a rampant Raiders outfit, which Lawrence said humiliated them into a result.

"It was very embarrassing last week and very out of character. In previous weeks we didn't get the wins but we had been close and the effort had been there. I don't know where that was last week," Lawrence said.

"Our attitude was just wrong. Obviously after a loss like that you do a lot of soul searching as a team and for us senior players we had a point to prove too.

"We believed in our ability when nobody else did so it was time to prove that not only to everyone else but ourselves too."

Prior to their 54-point loss to Canberra, the Tigers' five other losses were on average by a converted try or less.

However Lawrence said the Tigers took confidence rather than frustration from their narrow defeats to top eight outfits Parramatta, Melbourne and Cronulla.

"That's why last week was so disappointing because there were so many steps backwards and it was just a terrible performance," he said.

"It really hit home that if you're far off your game you're going to get beaten heavily by any team in the competition so it was a nice lesson for the young guys."

http://www.nrl.com/lawrences-10-and-a-h ... fault.aspx

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:10 am

He wasn't playing a traditional playmaker role....more like an extra forward don't know too may 5'8's who crack 100m and 30 odd tackles with zero misses..

As a man he his an absolute legend ... a credit to him and our Club...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

willow

Post by willow » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:26 am

Lawrence's 10 and a half performance

Fri 29 Apr, 2016, 7:41am
By Jack Brady ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Wests Tigers veteran Chris Lawrence was already bound for the field when he was called back to the sheds and told he'd be assuming playmaker duties in his side's eventual 30-22 win over the Rabbitohs on Thursday night.

Five-eighth Mitchell Moses was ruled out after the Tigers' warm-up with a quad strain, unbeknown to most of his teammates who had already left ANZ Stadium's inner-sanctum.

The verdict on Moses's fitness apparently came 10 seconds before the scheduled kick-off, which left Tigers' staff little time to round up the players and deliver the bad news.

"We only found out about it when we were running out on to the field. We were halfway out the tunnel and we were pulled back because we weren't aware he had an issue," Tigers co-captain Dene Halatau said.

"I had left the sheds already and half of the team was just about on the field so we turned around and ran back up and JT let us know what was going on. Quick reshuffle and we didn't have much time to think about it."

Lawrence, known for his versatility throughout his 11-year career, was not daunted by the late positional shift.

"I was basically out of the tunnel and I hear this 'hang on' and I thought we weren't supposed to head out yet so I walked back in and they were like 'you're five-eighth now, mate'," Lawrence said.

"I've been playing the game long enough now and I've played in a number of positions so it didn't really faze me and that's probably why they put me there.

"Even though I hadn't trained there all week, we just had to tweak a few things with Mitch being out and (halfback Luke) Brooksy taking over all the kicking."

Lawrence was buoyed by the Tigers' ability to finally prove their worth after their past six games prior to beating South Sydney had ended in defeat.

It was only five days before their win over Souths that they were comprehensively beaten 60-6 by a rampant Raiders outfit, which Lawrence said humiliated them into a result.

"It was very embarrassing last week and very out of character. In previous weeks we didn't get the wins but we had been close and the effort had been there. I don't know where that was last week," Lawrence said.

"Our attitude was just wrong. Obviously after a loss like that you do a lot of soul searching as a team and for us senior players we had a point to prove too.

"We believed in our ability when nobody else did so it was time to prove that not only to everyone else but ourselves too."

Prior to their 54-point loss to Canberra, the Tigers' five other losses were on average by a converted try or less.

However Lawrence said the Tigers took confidence rather than frustration from their narrow defeats to top eight outfits Parramatta, Melbourne and Cronulla.

"That's why last week was so disappointing because there were so many steps backwards and it was just a terrible performance," he said.

"It really hit home that if you're far off your game you're going to get beaten heavily by any team in the competition so it was a nice lesson for the young guys."

underdog

Post by underdog » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:34 am

I've said for years he should be our captain, and stands tall when the chips are down.

Well spoken, tough, versatile and intelligent (the kid got a 94 UAI when he completed year 12 at St Gregs)

Fast forward 10 years, and Tigers supporters will be discussing whether we should be appointing him our head coach - mark my words.

Goose

Post by Goose » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:42 am

Been terrific all year. As said by everyone, a leader in every sense of the word.

I think his poor form as Centre was overstated ( think that the system was getting beaten and showing up around his area)

As a backrower he has been amazing. In AFL parlance he has been in All Australian form, there are very few backrowers in the comp going better than him.

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:43 am

What a Guy!!!!!

Should Have been appointed Captain at the start of the year.

So pleased you are playing for us Rowdy.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 1:14 pm

The title of this thread would of been a joke post not that long ago.
Wow!! how things change, not only did people want him shifted from the centres they wanted him gone completely, some threatened to hand in their membership and quit supporting the club if his name appeared in the team 17. Never doubted the man, he's a professional and had gone through some horrific injuries , yes his biggest attribute was no longer there (speed) but he's a goer and always does his best and that's all we can ask for plus he's a clubman, loves the place.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 1:37 pm

People laughed when I called him a club legend at the start of the yr. As UD said, well spoken, just the sort of player you want representing the club.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 1:59 pm

He's an exceptional role model and a great leader.

However, we still need an on field general: vocal, bark instructions/encouragement etc at the troops. We are the quietest team in the comp. Need a William Wallace out there to get the best of his troops and fire them up to win.

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 2:06 pm

Has always been my favourite tigers player and so glad he has found a home in the forwards and no longer the scapegoat for our teams poor performances. He deserves the accolades and aupport he is currently receiving after a really consistent few months. Good stuff rowdy!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 2:43 pm

Always puts the team above himself. All class