Absolute disaster, not first grade standard

Re: Absolute disaster, not first grade standard

Post by 2041 » Tue 17 May, 2016 9:07 am

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think getting rid of Taylor will solve the problems. But Taylor is clearly one of the problems: he's hung his hat on defence since day one, and here we are 18 months later and the defence is, if anything, worse. He's either useless or the players aren't listening, and either way he's a lame duck. Has to go.

Having said that, this is the first time ever that I really don't see a route to improvement. The club has either wasted a crop of young players or vastly overrated them, it apparently still has no cap relief coming, there's no supplementary income, no progress on club facilities and minimal sign of any useful plan being in place to actually run the operation in a way that supports success.

2016 is gone, obviously, and I assume 2017 will be too - as there's no cap room and no sign of improvement from the young players who were meant to be the future core of the team. All I can think is that they should give Tedesco and Woods "name your price" deals for 2018 onwards and otherwise start from scratch completely. There are half a dozen players potentially worth keeping for 2018 on low salaries - Sue, Simona, Ava - but that really might be it. The only up side is that basically everyone is off contract after 2017 - maybe it really is time to blow the whole thing up for real.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Tue 17 May, 2016 11:43 am

innsaneink wrote:
PYMBLEPETE wrote:It might be worth bearing in mind we had lost 3 of our selected starting players (all forwards) before half time and two after I think 20 odd minutes. Its worth mentioning that every dud refereeing decision that was made - and there were plenty - went against us. At least three of their tries involved dud or dubious decisions. Also it happens that the Dogs came to play today and were as fired up as I have seen them since round 1. An 'absolute disaster not first grade standard' was Newcastle today. I thought we played poorly, especially the halves who I am tiring of rapidly and Nofaluma. And Kevvie wasnt much if any better. However in the circumstances of the above, not a complete disaster.
They ambushed us?
Took us by surprise?
''...came to play, and were fired up...?''

Thats not worth bearing in mind....it should be a pre-requisite every bloody week....
...for us.

The worst dud decision (Hunt staying on) went our way
Sorry Pete I just see excuses
I dont know why you are being so nit picky about the highlighted sentence. Every team plays with a different intensity from week to week. Thats one of the main reasons why the best team isn't undefeated each season. I was simply opining that the Bulldogs seemed to be close to maximum intensity on Sunday.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Tue 17 May, 2016 11:49 am

Thats the best Ive seen the dogs this year.

Defense key...hard and in numbers all day.

They would have beaten anyone!

CocaCola

Post by CocaCola » Tue 17 May, 2016 12:40 pm

2041 wrote:2016 is gone, obviously, and I assume 2017 will be too - as there's no cap room and no sign of improvement from the young players who were meant to be the future core of the team. All I can think is that they should give Tedesco and Woods "name your price" deals for 2018 onwards and otherwise start from scratch completely. There are half a dozen players potentially worth keeping for 2018 on low salaries - Sue, Simona, Ava - but that really might be it. The only up side is that basically everyone is off contract after 2017 - maybe it really is time to blow the whole thing up for real.
Tedesco is a top 5 player across the entire backline of the NRL. You build teams around special players like him. He is to us what Milford is to the Broncos.

Woods is a consistent performer & our best forward, but he's not a powerhouse forward to demand that sort of money.