Lovett improving?

stryker

Re: Lovett improving?

Post by stryker » Sun 22 May, 2016 1:31 pm

I think he can be a star as he is hungry and keen to learn.
Not all stars were born footballers. Most of them got there through determination and hard yakka. From all reports, this bloke has that.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 22 May, 2016 1:31 pm

stryker wrote:Yes I agree with the sentiments on here about him. When he is used properly he contributes. He competes all game and is one of the few who seem to be improving.

People give him and Ranko a hard time on here but for mine they are blokes who give their all and are mostly used incorrectly by their coach. When they get the chance to show their wares they prove they have something.
thought ranko was damn good at fullback

1 line break, 2 linebreak assists, 1 try assist.

okay he's no tedesco - but who is aside from rep players?? i think he's solid and he offers some okay kicking (best we can offer anyway)
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 22 May, 2016 1:36 pm

Yep Rankin offers far mote than Taylor is getting out of him. He is reasonably elusive when not runnibg from dummy half and his pass selection is also intuitive.
The few tries he has setup have been done so through visionary ballplaying...something the Broses struggle with.

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Sun 22 May, 2016 4:05 pm

ricksen wrote:Should only ever play in the middle IMO. Gets exposed on the edges every time he plays there.
Well said, I think he could be a very good prop with a few extra kg's added

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Sun 22 May, 2016 7:40 pm

average player but has a good attitude. good on him
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 23 May, 2016 12:06 am

I've said this before, but imagine if the other players in the squad, the more talented players, could gradually improve like Lovett.

He's gone from being the new Fitzhenry to someone most of the forum can actually tolerate now.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Mon 23 May, 2016 8:37 am

I think that he is developing into something like an early version of Bulldogs Jackson mould. But the jury is out. There is lots of talent in lower grades that may overtake him if his progress stalls.

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 23 May, 2016 8:47 am

People are always too quick to judge & always remember the bad more than the good.

The way the forward pack has played, at times, suits players like Lovett. Yes, he's more a middle of the park guy. And having ET probably helps Lovett more as it means he can spend less time on the edges.

If you get a guy off the bench (or starting, lets be fair) who gets about 100m every week & makes 25-35 tackles a game without costing you with dropped ball or missed tackles or... excessive penalties... then you have a 1st grade quality footballer.

My only complain is the penalties. If he can drop them from his game, I'm happy for him to play a lot. He and Alioia make a lot of difference to this team when they are on their game.

stevied

Post by stevied » Mon 23 May, 2016 9:35 am

He is an adequate first grade player and no more. He still lacks the size and proper impact in defense or attack you would like to see but, I agree, he is gradually improving and he definitely puts in the effort. In contrast, Pauli Pauli, of Newcastle, and of similar experience was big, mobile and skillful and probably the most dangerous player on the field. We could do with a player like that!

Moh

Post by Moh » Mon 23 May, 2016 10:38 am

It's a lot harder for young forwards to come in and have an immediate impact, they grow with each game. Lovett is still growing, he's been solid and I'm not too fussed with his selection anymore. I still think at times we've had better options.

I don't know why people say he lacks size, he's a pretty big boy.

notarealtiger

Post by notarealtiger » Mon 23 May, 2016 9:49 pm

I've definitely noticed an improvement in Lovett, he slowly seems to be adapting. The real test will be to see if he keeps this up towards the back end of the year when the grind starts setting in.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 23 May, 2016 11:10 pm

He is improving no doubt. But would it be better for the team for him to continue improving in NSW Cup & give guys like Fine, Edwards or Griffin a go in 1sts to see if they have more of an impact?

Nors05

Post by Nors05 » Tue 24 May, 2016 1:36 am

He's a handy bench player. Can cover Lock, 2nd Row and even Centre if needed. He had that one s*** game against the Panthers when he was at centre but from memory all the other times he went okay (again, it is just cover for injuries)

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 24 May, 2016 9:39 am

Still gets lazy and goes to sleep - missing important tackles .
Jury still out for me.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 24 May, 2016 10:26 am

He puts in twice the effort of another backrower who is being paid a lot of money and spends 3/4 a season in rehab