Ballin is like a great bass player

andrew 474
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Ballin is like a great bass player

Unread post by andrew 474 » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:13 am

Ballin has only played 1 game and looked good considering the amount of time he has been out , He will only get better and if he gets near the level he was at out at Manly it will lift us even more , give the guy a chance he is a good solid player

Nelson
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 67 times

Unread post by Nelson » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:17 am

stevetiger wrote:Ballin did the Robbie run on the 4th. Seriously. He also had some ordinary service. His game was pretty Robbie like actually without the skill and he was less involved which meant he went missing for a chunk of the game. There was one point where Ballin was out there but we had no dummy half. Dene and I think Moses went in there.

People on here just hate on Robbie but in a delusional way.

Ballin wasn't terrible. He was actually decent considering it was his first game but to get so worked up about an average performance is funny.
The guy did a good job for his first game in a long time, and his first decent game time in a new side. If a few passes went astray, or he went astray, towards the back end of his stint then it's hardly a surprise. His fitness will improve and his cohesion with the team will also improve if he gets more game time. There was plenty to like about what he did out there though.

Club Sandwich
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Club Sandwich » Sat 28 May, 2016 9:48 am

Definitely solid out there tonight. I'll admit it took him a little bit to get going once he came on but once he seemed to get his mojo back we looked like a far superior team.
Much rather him playing 9 each week and Farah on the bench/reggies. You can tell he just gels better with everyone on the team too
Tigers tragic since 1980.

Gary Bakerloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:00 am

Very good out of dummy half and solid defender. However talk of him possibly playing in the back row or lock are off the mark, he got belted. Needs to stay around the ruck in attack.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:03 am

Nelson wrote:
stevetiger wrote:Ballin did the Robbie run on the 4th. Seriously. He also had some ordinary service. His game was pretty Robbie like actually without the skill and he was less involved which meant he went missing for a chunk of the game. There was one point where Ballin was out there but we had no dummy half. Dene and I think Moses went in there.

Ballin wasn't terrible. He was actually decent considering it was his first game but to get so worked up about an average performance is funny.
The guy did a good job for his first game in a long time, and his first decent game time in a new side. If a few passes went astray, or he went astray, towards the back end of his stint then it's hardly a surprise. His fitness will improve and his cohesion with the team will also improve if he gets more game time. There was plenty to like about what he did out there though.
Yep anyone being critical of Ballin on that performance is either blinded by their love for RF or doesnt know football. Matt played well. Gave simple, quick service and we looked a different side for it. His ego didnt require him to walk three steps before passing as if giving the runner less time makes it easier for them.

Russell
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:25 am

criwdfluffer wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
criwdfluffer wrote:Gee I must have been watching another game.

Took poor options,passes behind the player.

Not impressed at all with Ballin so far.
Yes, we must have been watching the same game. His passing to the left to Brooks was slow, high and behind him. I know he is coming back from a knee injury but he is painfully pedestrian out of dummy half. Was selfish on a number of occasions and went missing from dummy half and at one stage Grant had to rush in to retrieve the ball, I believe it was four play the balls until he got in position.
Exactly how i saw it.....took some terrible runs close to the line with the backs screaming for it.

Gave some shockers to Brooksie and yes he was MIA at dummy half for a bit there. And he seemed way slow with these passes.

Im suprised everyones all lovey dovey over him....so far very average.
On those occasions you mentioned he was trying to emulate our RF - then he realised hang on...

I'm Matt Ballin I can play better than this - and he did.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:28 am

JAC is like Hendrix after 4 tabs of acid. No idea what he's going to do, but it'll probably be good.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:29 am

Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by eyewonder » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:31 am

if ballin becomes the incumbent bass guitarist ,does that relegate robbie to be the team percussionist?

Russell

Unread post by Russell » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:58 am

stevetiger wrote:
king sirro wrote:
BalmainJnr wrote:
criwdfluffer wrote:Gee I must have been watching another game.

Took poor options,passes behind the player.

Not impressed at all with Ballin so far.
I think maybe you were..
I think he has a point. He's right that some passes did drop just behind players and he's right Ballin took a couple of wrong options. Others are also right in saying the rest of his game was spot on. I like when someone adds realistic balance to a love fest (or a hate fest for that matter).
Ballin wasn't great at all. The over the top reaction from some posters on here is pretty funny.

Like I said earlier if Robbie played a game like that he would cop it.
I agree - Ballin wasn't great but he was a lot better than Robbie has been playing - and after only one NSW Cup game.

More to the point - the halves played better with Ballin than Farah.

The three of them will only get better as they play longer minutes together and then when you add Teddy to the mix - it will be like old times.

Makes a difference having someone playing for the team instead of themselves.

gallagher
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sat 28 May, 2016 11:08 am

I'd rest farah through the origin period and see if the improvement in the halves continues. It's not like we can't cover his spot now.
Very good first up game for Ballin. Unsurprisingly.

Russell

Unread post by Russell » Sat 28 May, 2016 11:12 am

After all this time you still do not understand!

Wasn't so much what he was doing - it was what he wasn't doing.

He was allowing others to play well - The halves played better by having more time, the big forwards were making more ground and straightened up the attack.
This all went into winning the game.

You are a fence sitter that is the problem - you are not keen on Farah but you don't want to get rid of him, You have slammed Brooks at times but "I think he will come good" - put crap on Moses "but maybe he will reach his potential".

Here is the BIG chance - Brooks and Moses and the forwards will I guarantee play better with Ballin at dummy half than with Farah. This will settle your hopes with Brooks and Moses.

You say he was average (after one NSW Cup game after about 8-9 months) - that may well be but he lifted the team by about 40% during most of the time he was on.

Credit where credit is due - and there will be lots more to come.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 11:15 am

Russell. I completely disagree with you.

Robbie is a better player than Ballin and our team will play better with him there over Ballin. Just because we won games without Robbie it doesn't mean Robbie is the issue. Do we also sack Woods ? Do we sack Tedesco ?

Ballin was average last night. He wasn't terrible but he definitely wasn't at Robbie's level. Robbie is the SOO hooker.

You and others need to start dropping the hate towards Robbie (who I don't like either) and start thinking about winning games.

gallagher
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sat 28 May, 2016 11:17 am

eyewonder wrote:if ballin becomes the incumbent bass guitarist ,does that relegate robbie to be the team percussionist?
Roadie.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Sat 28 May, 2016 12:14 pm

gallagher wrote:
eyewonder wrote:if ballin becomes the incumbent bass guitarist ,does that relegate robbie to be the team percussionist?
Roadie.
Ballin good but Robbie adds a little more Pizazz. Just like the Jass Flute
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Russell

Unread post by Russell » Sat 28 May, 2016 12:24 pm

stevetiger wrote:Russell. I completely disagree with you.

Robbie is a better player than Ballin and our team will play better with him there over Ballin. Just because we won games without Robbie it doesn't mean Robbie is the issue. Do we also sack Woods ? Do we sack Tedesco ?

Ballin was average last night. He wasn't terrible but he definitely wasn't at Robbie's level. Robbie is the SOO hooker.

You and others need to start dropping the hate towards Robbie (who I don't like either) and start thinking about winning games.
I don't hate Robbie at all - I hate what he has done and what he is still doing.

You think Ballin was average - that is ok.
You think Ballin is not at Farah's level - disagree.
You think Farah is the SOO Hooker - yes he is but shouldn't be on form.

So we disagree again, as usual really - that is what the Forum is about.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 12:42 pm

Russell wrote:
stevetiger wrote:Russell. I completely disagree with you.

I don't hate Robbie at all - I hate what he has done and what he is still doing.

You think Ballin was average - that is ok.
You think Ballin is not at Farah's level - disagree.
You think Farah is the SOO Hooker - yes he is but shouldn't be on form.

So we disagree again, as usual really - that is what the Forum is about.
The bolded is part is what I think matters to you and others on here. Winning games is what is important to me.

Adamtiger1

Unread post by Adamtiger1 » Sat 28 May, 2016 12:50 pm

I just watched the replay. Ballin played good without being outstanding. He did his job well. I thought his service from DH was solid, he defended well, he talked in the middle with ET (They played well together) and he was a calm head for the younger guys. Not a MOM performance but he played well. His first full game after being out for 3/4 of year. He is going to only get better.

Return to “Round 12: Brisbane Broncos vs Wests Tigers”