Ballin is like a great bass player

southerntiger

Re: Ballin is like a great bass player

Post by southerntiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 12:29 am

Ballin looks like a great buy but Robbie's our starting hooker for this year. Good to have some pressure on him and decent backup

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sat 28 May, 2016 3:52 am

I thought he played very well for his first real NRL game in a long time. Our defence was more convincing with him on and for the most part his service was impeccable. Yes he had a few sloppy passes, but so did Brooks, Moses and Taylor.
As for the Farah argument, he's carried us for years, but I think tonight our halves really took a step up as a combination after a poor first 20 or so and I'm not sure how that would've played out with Robbie there. He stifles our halves and his sheer presence might mean Moses and Brooks pull in to their shell a little bit not wanting to stand on his toes. I think it's a fair call to play him off the bench through the entire origin period, to give him a rest and also to explore that dynamic as I think his attacking flair would be of much more use once the kids have settled in to the game a bit and space has opened up a bit more. If it's working well, move him to lock and spell ET while Ballin comes on to hooker, I think he's more than capable of playing a similar role to what we saw from Taylor tonight given a willingness to accept it.

But on a lighter note, throw Teddy back in to the mix and we suddenly look like a team with attacking options! Taylor brings a whole new dimension to our side, Brooks and Moses are getting a bit of space to ball play and I think we definitely need to mention Aloiai and Lawrence. Rowdy has really reinvented himself out there and Aloiai being on brings a harder edge to the right side which I think notably lessened when he was off, he's really earned his spot.

coopy

Post by coopy » Sat 28 May, 2016 6:04 am

For someone coming back from an ACL, that was a super performance from Matty. Some players take over 12 months to find their feet and form again.

In terms of his performance though it was satisfactory. Some good and some not so good. Defence was excellent, distribution was fair and his passing was reasonable (although in the second half it did noticeably fall away).

I think his biggest deficiency compared to Robbie is other teams know that he is not the attacking threat Robbie is especially when we are close to the line.

As for Brooks and Moses playing better without Robbie, last week according to this forum, they supposedly played better without each other???:crazy

The Mooks' issues vary so much (kicking, defence, passing, option and gme management) that you really can't say Farah is the cause of all of this.

coopy

Post by coopy » Sat 28 May, 2016 6:05 am

coopy wrote:For someone coming back from an ACL, that was a super performance from Matty. Some players take over 12 months to find their feet and form again.

In terms of his performance though it was satisfactory. Some good and some not so good. Defence was excellent, distribution was fair and his passing was reasonable (although in the second half it did noticeably fall away).

I think his biggest deficiency compared to Robbie is other teams know that he is not the attacking threat Robbie is especially when we are close to the line.

As for Brooks and Moses playing better without Robbie, last week according to this forum, they supposedly played better without each other??? :crazy

The Mooks' issues vary so much (kicking, defence, passing, option and gme management) that you really can't say Farah is the cause of all of this.

coopy

Post by coopy » Sat 28 May, 2016 6:06 am

coopy wrote:
coopy wrote:For someone coming back from an ACL, that was a super performance from Matty. Some players take over 12 months to find their feet and form again.

In terms of his performance, I thought it was satisfactory. Some good and some not so good. Defence was excellent, distribution was fair (although in the second half it did noticeably fall away).

As for Brooks and Moses playing better without Robbie, last week according to this forum, they supposedly played better without each other??? :crazy

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 6:28 am

VanillaThunder wrote:........He stifles our halves and his sheer presence might mean Moses and Brooks pull in to their shell a little bit not wanting to stand on his toes. I think it's a fair call to play him off the bench through the entire origin period, to give him a rest and also to explore that dynamic..............
I think this is a good observation.
"Quality Stupidity"

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 28 May, 2016 6:52 am

BalmainJnr wrote:
criwdfluffer wrote:Gee I must have been watching another game.

Took poor options,passes behind the player.

Not impressed at all with Ballin so far.
I think maybe you were..
I think he has a point. He's right that some passes did drop just behind players and he's right Ballin took a couple of wrong options. Others are also right in saying the rest of his game was spot on. I like when someone adds realistic balance to a love fest (or a hate fest for that matter).
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 7:15 am

Forget the 4 minutes played last week. First real game back and it was a really solid performance. What a great buy..

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 7:29 am

Eddie wrote:Tigers record without Farah this year is pretty good. It is Worth discussing.The halves have tended to play better without him, although they did some dumb things tonight again.

However in previous years it has been the opposite. Over and over again. We have had a far better reocrd with Robbie . So to see people on their high horse about it like Robbie has ben holding us back for years I find quite quite amusing. When the stats (facts) say opposite.

Also Ballin did take at least 1 or 2 bad options near the line going himself. If Robbie did that certain posters would have screamed the house down. There were also 1 or 2 high passes, again if it was Robbie they would have pointed this out.

Im all for picking in form players. All this Pro Robbie, Against Robbie rubbish is just that in my opinion.

Sane fans just want to win and have the best 17 on the paddock. If Ballin is playing better then Farah then I say give him the starting gig. Well done Ballin on a pretty good game.
Yep. The BS written about Robbie amazes me.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 7:30 am

king sirro wrote:
BalmainJnr wrote:

I think maybe you were..
I think he has a point. He's right that some passes did drop just behind players and he's right Ballin took a couple of wrong options. Others are also right in saying the rest of his game was spot on. I like when someone adds realistic balance to a love fest (or a hate fest for that matter).
Ballin wasn't great at all. The over the top reaction from some posters on here is pretty funny.

Like I said earlier if Robbie played a game like that he would cop it.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 28 May, 2016 7:30 am

coopy wrote:
coopy wrote:

In terms of his performance, I thought it was satisfactory. Some good and some not so good. Defence was excellent, distribution was fair (although in the second half it did noticeably fall away).

Just thought that I would quote you're qoute of your qoute of your qoute. Big night celebrating the win Coopy?

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 28 May, 2016 7:47 am

stevetiger wrote:
king sirro wrote:
BalmainJnr wrote:

I think maybe you were..
Ballin wasn't great at all. The over the top reaction from some posters on here is pretty funny.

Like I said earlier if Robbie played a game like that he would cop it.
Sadly I couldn't watch the game, so can only go by the radio call and live/post match comments on here regarding last night, but I did hear that Ballin ran the ball once on the fourth, tackle which is one of my pet hates about Robbie. Other than that, some are talking about an odd loose pass, but that is pretty well the norm as well.

The big thing for me is that he plays direct to get his big men going forward and allows the halves to dictate play. Passing off the ground and generally out in front are also the bread and butter of a dummy half, which he brings to the table. I thought he looked good in his cameo appearance last weekend, albeit a very brief one for a couple of sets with the ball in hand.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sat 28 May, 2016 7:58 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:

Yes, we must have been watching the same game. His passing to the left to Brooks was slow, high and behind him. I know he is coming back from a knee injury but he is painfully pedestrian out of dummy half. Was selfish on a number of occasions and went missing from dummy half and at one stage Grant had to rush in to retrieve the ball, I believe it was four play the balls until he got in position.
I blame the coach.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:01 am

Tony33 wrote:I like Ballin.

Great guy, team player and does his job admirably.

Got smashed a few times when he took the line on though but kept going again which shows determination.

At this point Ballin delivers much better service then Robbie; however Robbie is more of an attacking threat and is better at taking the markers and line on. Robbie also has a better kicking game and provides a left foot option. Their defence is probably equal.

You could mount a case for either to be our number nine. I don't know about having both in the 17 though, I'm more of a fan of the 4 forward bench. I'd be happy to have either as our 9, but I can't see JT dropping Robbie. We will probably see
9. Farah
14. Ballin
Just hope we don't see
9 Farah
14 Balin
15 Halatua
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:01 am

Got smashed a few times when he took the line on though but kept going again which shows determination.

At this point Ballin delivers much better service then Robbie; however Robbie is more of an attacking threat and is better at taking the markers and line on. Robbie also has a better kicking game and provides a left foot option. Their defence is probably equal.

You could mount a case for either to be our number nine. I don't know about having both in the 17 though, I'm more of a fan of the 4 forward bench. I'd be happy to have either as our 9, but I can't see JT dropping Robbie. We will probably see
9. Farah
14. Ballin
Just hope we don't see
9 Farah
14 Balin
15 Halatua
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:02 am

How can anyone say he was poor? it wasn't a man of the match performance but did what he does best.....tackles his ring off and gave quick good service to his halves.

Farah plays a more attacking role and is one of the best at catching markers offside around the ruck, but nowadays he has become a slow decision maker from dummy half and is undecisive when he has the ball in hand.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:02 am

Ballin did the Robbie run on the 4th. Seriously. He also had some ordinary service. His game was pretty Robbie like actually without the skill and he was less involved which meant he went missing for a chunk of the game. There was one point where Ballin was out there but we had no dummy half. Dene and I think Moses went in there.

People on here just hate on Robbie but in a delusional way.

Ballin wasn't terrible. He was actually decent considering it was his first game but to get so worked up about an average performance is funny.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:05 am

maxxy86 wrote:

9. Farah
14. Ballin
Just hope we don't see
9 Farah
14 Balin
15 Halatua
I can see this happening. If Farah left Ballin was a great signing. Maybe Ballin will come on and turn into a great player and Robbie gets the sack but I doubt it. Maybe Ballin will be good in 2018 when Robbie leaves but again I doubt it.

Overall though I just see signing Ballin as being about JT's ego.