Wests Tigers upset win over Brisbane fuelled by Tommy Raudonikis visit

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Wests Tigers upset win over Brisbane fuelled by Tommy Raudonikis visit

Unread post by willow » Sat 28 May, 2016 7:59 pm

By Matt Logue - The Daily Telegraph

IF anyone personifies the fighting spirit of the Wests Tigers, it’s hard to go past Tommy Raudonikis.

And it’s why the Tigers asked the much-loved club legend to spend time with the playing group in the lead-up to Friday night’s impressive upset victory over Brisbane.

Speaking with The Sunday Telegraph, Raudonikis lifted the lid on his passionate pre-game address to the players, saying it was part of the club’s plan to reconnect with its rich history of defying the odds.

“The Tigers are trying to get the club culture back again, so it was an honour to be invited into the camp,” Raudonikis said.

“I had dinner with them on Thursday night, I had lunch with them and I was in the dressing rooms before the game.

“I was very impressed and I got a real kick out of it. They want people to come to the club and players stay.

“It’s just a new thing they are trying and I think next week they might have Noel Kelly in to speak.”

Raudonikis admitted he was originally reluctant to impose on the team when he was approached to speak by the club’s general manager of football, Mark O’Neill.

He said his initial fear was quickly put to rest by Tigers coach Jason Taylor.

“Jason was terrific,” he said. “He told me to get in the dressing room and make it known to the players that I was there.

“So when they walked out for the match I made sure I put myself in a place where they had to walk past me.

“I didn’t talk tactics or anything like that — it was just my presence. Put it this way, it worked a treat and they played very well.”

Despite the Tigers’ inconsistent start to the season, Raudonikis has no doubts the joint-venture club is on the cusp of glory.

He is particularly excited about the prospects of young halves Mitch Moses and Luke Brooks — who are expected to officially commit their long-term futures to the club this week.

“That’s the first time I’ve been able to sit down and talk to them and I was very impressed,” Raudonikis said.

“I told them after the game that this club is renowned for its great halves and they are the next ones coming along and they can uphold the tradition. That’s why I’m hoping they can stick together and stay at the club.”

Raudonikis also backed coach Taylor to lead the Tigers to brighter times.

“A couple of weeks ago people wanted his blood, but I can tell you now he is a very good coach,” he said.

“The way he handled those young players was something special. I told Jason don’t worry I went through all of what you’re going through.

“I got two wooden spoons at Wests, so there are tough times. But he (Jason) is the man to coach this club.”

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:07 pm

Lots of BS in there but who cares, good on him

tiga4eva
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by tiga4eva » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:08 pm

I get that we are in our 17th season and we have to build our own history. But getting past stalwarts and icons in is a great touch by the Club. Well done

softlaw
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by softlaw » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:10 pm

Is that the first ever daily terror article that has been positive about the Tigers?
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:28 pm

softlaw wrote:Is that the first ever daily terror article that has been positive about the Tigers?
Would you mess with Tommy even after a triple by pass and two major battles with cancer

Even the big man upstairs has given up sending the grim reaper to visit Tommy

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 28 May, 2016 9:36 pm

Tommy ought to have smacked a few of them about.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

sideline eye
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:08 pm

When he had his testicular cancer, he remarked that you only need one ball to play football! Tough man who I nominate to be Australia's first president.

cunno

Unread post by cunno » Sat 28 May, 2016 10:57 pm

Plenty of face slapping before the game along with beer and pizza after the game plus a win sounds like a great night out to me, love cattle dog......

Eddie
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Sat 28 May, 2016 11:19 pm

Certain people have been quick to bag Mark O'Neill bout some of the things he has bought in.

Well, they should praise him for this (however i suspect that will fall on deaf ears). Tommy must have got them fired up a bit and it worked.

Imagine if they had lost 30-0 people would have crucified Oneill.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 29 May, 2016 12:22 am

The gutsiest thing I ever saw him do wasn't on the footy field

He took a bet with a life saver to swim in some horrendous surf up the Sunny Coast while he was the Jets coach

No one bar Steve Nance knew he had cancer at the time , he made it back just , he was absolutely shot

Sorry if I've told that story before , just something that will always stick with me

Chevy
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Chevy » Sun 29 May, 2016 2:07 am

You have to love Tommy,a real character..!

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Sun 29 May, 2016 5:56 am

The forwards definitely seemed fired up and ready to go right from the kick off. If that was Tommy's doing then top marks all round.

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by MightyMaggy » Sun 29 May, 2016 6:10 am

happy tiger wrote:The gutsiest thing I ever saw him do wasn't on the footy field

He took a bet with a life saver to swim in some horrendous surf up the Sunny Coast while he was the Jets coach

No one bar Steve Nance knew he had cancer at the time , he made it back just , he was absolutely shot

Sorry if I've told that story before , just something that will always stick with me
I am one of the older Magpies/Tigers supporters, but while I am a big Tommy supporter, your story was news to me. Please, would you give me some background information, so I can access more information on the story.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 29 May, 2016 9:59 am

MightyMaggy wrote:
happy tiger wrote:The gutsiest thing I ever saw him do wasn't on the footy field

I am one of the older Magpies/Tigers supporters, but while I am a big Tommy supporter, your story was news to me. Please, would you give me some background information, so I can access more information on the story.
I think it was the either 86/87 pre season training camp with the Ipswich Jets , he had already been diagnosed with cancer and the only person who knew in the squad was Steve Nance the head trainer

The rest happened exactly like I said it , it took him an age to get out and when he got he literally had to be helped up the steps

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 29 May, 2016 10:24 am

That was a good effort by the club and JT as well.

Yossarian
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 29 May, 2016 12:58 pm

I love Tommy but come on, that's just dumb not gutsy. He doesn't need to risk his life doing something like that too prove how tough he is to me.

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by eyewonder » Sun 29 May, 2016 2:42 pm

if bringing a club legend to a game works,do it again.

tommy said that noel kelly may be next?

gee,noel kelly would have to be an age.

he would have to be in the 75-80 age bracket.

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Sun 29 May, 2016 3:40 pm

Tommy was in the 1981 Newtown side when the famous fight between Newtown and Manly erupted in a 1981 semi-final. I am sure that he had something do with that even though he was playing halfback. Anyway Newtown won that semi-final and continued through the finals to play in the 1981 grand final against Parramatta in which Tommy scored a try.

Return to “Round 12: Brisbane Broncos vs Wests Tigers”