Bennett the supercoach

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 14 times

Bennett the supercoach

Unread post by cqtiger » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:42 pm

I had to laugh after watching some of Bennetts comments post game. Old grumble-bum moaning about missing a third of his team and the new guys having never played together.

Boohoo

Isn't that why you pay a supercoach $1M a year? So that he can win these games? Hell, most of us on here would have a pretty good win/loss ratio with a team full of stars like the Broncs.

I am also smirking about wonderboy coach Robinson at the Roosters. Wins 3 minor premierships in a row with uncle Nick's well paid stars but when they lose a few to injury or stupidity, what happens? Welcome to our world.

Bellamy? I prefer him to the other two but he has had the world's best spine for many years, that helps. And don't believe that he pulls reserve graders into first grade over night. He gets tried and tested first graders from other clubs mostly on the cheap.

Bennett has never coached a bottom table team and everywhere he goes he always brings in quality. Newcastle liked him for two seasons but then reality hit. As Moley says, has Bennett ever apologised to the Knights about the mess he left them in?

Myth. Absolute myth.

Nuff said
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 28 May, 2016 9:06 pm

I did not hear the interview but thought that as it was known for months beforehand that many Bronco players would be missing and therefore he would have had a second string composite team occasionally training for when needed for SOO period.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 28 May, 2016 9:13 pm

He would have been prepared for the origin period.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 103 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 28 May, 2016 11:28 pm

Broncos - 3rd place, 16 points
Wests - 12th place, 10 points

I'd wager Bennett knows what he's doing.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Sun 29 May, 2016 12:24 am

it must suck to have so many rep players.

if only everyone could afford... i mean have great recruitment like the broncos
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

EndlessPassion

Unread post by EndlessPassion » Sun 29 May, 2016 8:11 am

And yet his broncos team still had more rep representation than the Tigers on friday

glebe_tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by glebe_tiger » Sun 29 May, 2016 8:53 am

I actually loathe the guy and think he's a bit of a myth. Only ever went where the money was. And all the success at broncos with their resources, facilities, brown paper bag payments etc was always going to happen. His success at St George was just icing on the cake, they were couple players off from winning the comp in that period and left the place in a worse state. The knights he flopped, but the McKinnon saga certainly affected that club also so i will cut him some slack there. I heard Gallen on the radio once saying how he spoke to Bennett and said why dont you come to Cronulla during their most turbulent years and Wayne told him he can't perform miracles. There you go, he can't walk on water unlike what many people think but given a giant talent pool and open cheque book at his disposal he will guide the bigger teams to success. He's not a rebuilding or transitional coach by any stretch.

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sun 29 May, 2016 9:05 am

He can mould a team full of stars into a premiership team,which they should be anyway. Other than that, he cannot build a team from the ground up.

Tigertigertiger

Unread post by Tigertigertiger » Sun 29 May, 2016 9:12 am

Great coach but I think he is losing his edge in his older days, the Broncos of old would attack non stop in the glory days, last years Grand Final was so negative from the Broncos when protecting a lead which cost them the Grand Final

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by eyewonder » Sun 29 May, 2016 9:14 am

resentment is a driving emotion,and i have that in bucketloads.

for all those older forumers, we remember the pre state of origin setup where nsw would go to queensland and towel up any side that queensland put on the park,regardless of where they were born.

it really was a no contest. then this state of origin thing was created.so we have equity,for the sake of a game.

going back even further we had a viable sydney competition where good folk could go and watch their side every week because it was travelling distance within sydney.we could see wests or balmain every week,if we wanted to.

then we were told we had to expand the competition and include brisbane,canberra etc.

in the long run ,wests and balmain lost their single identity ,i believe,indirectly,due to the expansion.

so i reckon brisbane and or queensland have done pretty well for themselves.

wayne bennett alo needs to think how well rugby league has been for him.the australian team used to be picked on the nsw - queensland game.

wayne bennett was picked on the wing to play when there were much better credentialled wingers in the sydney comp.

so when brisbane and or queensland and or bennett start to have a grissle,they need to consider how
southern folk have been inconvenienced along the way.

so when ben hunt missed that field goal attempt,it was sweet victory.

some of my resentment washed away.

thats how i see it,anyway.

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Sun 29 May, 2016 9:59 am

Bennetts record speaks for itself. The Newcastle situation was not really of his own doing (tinkler wasn't paying players).

He win a minor premiership with an ordinary bunch at st George, enough said I think

glebe_tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by glebe_tiger » Sun 29 May, 2016 4:41 pm

Not sure about that. If you check their premiership winning team of 2010 most players 1-13 besides their halves were rep players of some sort - origin and or international.

Swordy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by Swordy » Sun 29 May, 2016 4:58 pm

glebe_tiger wrote:I actually loathe the guy and think he's a bit of a myth. Only ever went where the money was. And all the success at broncos with their resources, facilities, brown paper bag payments etc was always going to happen. His success at St George was just icing on the cake, they were couple players off from winning the comp in that period and left the place in a worse state. The knights he flopped, but the McKinnon saga certainly affected that club also so i will cut him some slack there. I heard Gallen on the radio once saying how he spoke to Bennett and said why dont you come to Cronulla during their most turbulent years and Wayne told him he can't perform miracles. There you go, he can't walk on water unlike what many people think but given a giant talent pool and open cheque book at his disposal he will guide the bigger teams to success. He's not a rebuilding or transitional coach by any stretch.
Could not agree more !!!!!

Except with Newcastle, he had the bottomless pit of money from Tinkler, and when that dried up, he was out of there faster than a fart in an Indian restaurant.

Anyone can do what he has done with money.

Glebe Tiger, I wanna give you a big kiss because I thought I was the only one that thought like that.

And as for the Broncos, Boo Hoo. If I could have multiple Origin players on my books, all playing at no more than $250K because they love the place, I'd cop it sweet for a couple of weeks.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sun 29 May, 2016 6:39 pm

pHyR3 wrote:it must suck to have so many rep players.

if only everyone could afford... i mean have great recruitment like the broncos
Exactly.

These dogs complain about the origin period but forget that they have such a great advantage the other 20 rounds against teams like us who dont have the same roster.

So [automatically edited] about 3 rounds when u dont have players worth 3 million OVER the cap, and lap it up with laughter the other 23 rounds.

I agree witj Tallis, Bennet is a blight on the game.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 29 May, 2016 7:22 pm

larrycorowa wrote:Bennetts record speaks for itself. The Newcastle situation was not really of his own doing (tinkler wasn't paying players).

He win a minor premiership with an ordinary bunch at st George, enough said I think
Bennett always has final say wherever he's been, so now Tinkler coached the side did he ??? :lol:

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 159 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 29 May, 2016 7:26 pm

If Bennett isn't the greatest coach ever, who is? We hear over and over the excuses for why he isn't, but no one ever provides an alternative. Same goes with Bellamy when he cops it for being a cheat. I'd like to start hearing who are supercoaches as opposed to who aren't.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Sun 29 May, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black'n'White
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Sun 29 May, 2016 7:27 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:If Bennett isn't the greatest coach ever, who is? We hear over and over the excuses why he isn't, but no one ever provides an alternative. Same goes with Bellamy when he cops it for being a cheat. I'd like to start hearing who are supercoaches as opposed to who aren't.
Easy.... Gibson

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Sun 29 May, 2016 7:55 pm

What really installed me with a hope of winning on Friday was the front and back of the courier mail. It was the stouch that of Bennett tallis and probably Blair.
I thought finally a bit of controversy at the broncos and we'd had a settled week, Lawrence had resigned. So I'd like to thank those 2 for having a [automatically edited] to one another and Adam Blair for being Adam Blair.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Return to “Round 12: Brisbane Broncos vs Wests Tigers”