Good signs

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Good signs

Unread post by larrycorowa » Sun 29 May, 2016 1:00 am

Ok so on face value we made hard work of beating and under strength Brisbane.

But delving a bit deeper....we had a poor first 20 mins where moses seemed out of sorts but we gradually wrestled momentum back by halting their go forward and putting pressure of their kicking game. We won field position and brooks took control of the game. Our bench strength helped us dominate the rookie Broncs.

We started the second half poorly but didn't panic and again got on top by stopping their go forward. Brooks then started to struggle with closing out the game and then Moses took over kicked to the corners and we ground the game out in a fashion.

Without the ball and behind a beaten forward pack One of the form halves pairing of the Comp looked clueless. Our much maligned pack monstered Brisbane, again assisted by our game control.

It's a good lesson for the halves that we have to manage the game to give our forward pack a chance.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 29 May, 2016 10:38 am

I really liked that performance but Brisbane were without a bunch of forwards. I still think though that our pack now shouldn't be getting rolled. We have plenty of big guys that can play good footy up the middle.

TigerSkins
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by TigerSkins » Sun 29 May, 2016 10:54 am

Yes our side is big enough to control the middle in both our defence and attack. Having Elijah Taylor in side in a real advantage for us, he go take the ball up, be an extra pivot with the ball, and defensive wise, 40 to 50 tackles a game. Woods, Grant, Ava, Jessie, Aloiai and JJ, all are big enough to cause any sides problems. It's now up to our halves to control the show, then finishers like Teddy and JAC to add the polish to this side. We can be competitive in the comp.

Russell
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 118 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 29 May, 2016 11:46 am

I would like to know what time Halatau went off in the first half and Ballin came on - have not rewatched and checked this. Seemed to me without doing this that Moses / brooks kicking game improved. May be off the mark.

Whilst Aloiai and JJ were good I don't expect them to be good every week unfortunately. They are going to be good forwards from what we have seen but they are still a work in progress. With Chee-Kam and Lovett we could have a little rotation happening - keeps them happy and not over using them whilst they are youngsters.

Chevy
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Chevy » Sun 29 May, 2016 12:55 pm

Dare i say Brisbane used a game plan that asked little questions of the opposition defence,something we are usually guilty of..!

Return to “Round 12: Brisbane Broncos vs Wests Tigers”