We'll win it for brave Oscar: Nathan Hindmarsh

•  Recent Topics
Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 7:55 am

Christian Nicolussi From: The Daily Telegraph
March 26, 2010 12:00AM

WHEN the Eels take the field against the Wests Tigers at the SFS tonight, a brave six-year-old boy will be there with them.

Oscar Buhagiar loved Parramatta, particularly veteran Eel Nathan Hindmarsh.

He was at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday to watch his heroes in action.

On Monday, he died in Westmead Hospital, after his little body finally gave up the fight against cancer.

Tonight, in memory of one of their bravest young fans, the Eels will take the field with special jerseys embroidered with Oscar's name and the number 11 - that of his favourite player Hindmarsh.

If the Parramatta players can overcome the Tigers, they have vowed to dedicate their victory to Oscar.

Hindmarsh, who had visited Oscar just three hours before he passed away, paid tribute to his little fan yesterday.

"He lived for his footy on the weekend and would have been at the SFS tomorrow night," he said. "A lot of us will be thinking about him before we run out on to the ground and be doing it for him."

While Oscar watched most of Sunday's game at Parramatta Stadium, he was forced to leave early due to the heat and missed his team's dramatic come-from-behind victory.

"He had been off his medication for a while and was pretty much on pain relief," Hindmarsh said.

"Oscar was someone who I thought about a lot and I always checked up on him.

"He wasn't too coherent on Monday, but his family were there and his grandmother told a joke to lighten the mood.

"He was a cheeky little bugger who was loved by his parents. He fought so hard throughout his illness and his parents are so proud of him."

Oscar played football with the Kellyville Bushrangers before cancer denied him from competing. He was no stranger to the club and was given special treatment at last year's NRL Grand Final, where he took delivery of the premiership trophy from Broncos great Darren Lockyer and former Bulldogs star Hazem El Masri.

Eels winger Eric Grothe said the death of Oscar only served as a timely reminder of what is important in life.

"He was a happy little guy who loved being around us," Grothe said.

"We're a professional football side and you go into all games motivated, but when you hear about a little soul like this it just gives you that extra kick up the backside."

The special-edition jerseys will be auctioned off on the Parramatta Eels website.

Grothe lightened the mood himself when he spoke about tonight's clash against fierce rivals the Tigers.

"It will be a great game. It's unfortunate I have to play [because] I would have loved watching it on TV," Grothe said.

"It won't be as hot as last Sunday, that's for sure. And I'll have to mark up on Lote [Tuqiri]. We'll have to get numbers on him and force him infield. Hopefully the guys around me will tackle him because I don't want to."
:cry:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

triserratops

Post by triserratops » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:34 am

I hope that the player that gets the man of the match award (Tiger or Eels) donates the cash to the family or an associated charity linked to the kids illness!
:idea:
Hearing and reading stuff like this makes me cringe. i've got 1 and 1 on the way and seeing innocent kids in unfortunate situations really rocks me.
:cry:
heart goes out to the family.
:pray:
PS: Good on the boys at Parra for honouring this kid tonight!
:)
Last edited by triserratops on Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
STAND BACK OR SOMEONE WILL
GET HURT! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:35 am

I saw this on the The Footy Show last night and it really highlights how we can get things so out of perspective and how we focus on the negative when it really doesn't matter. All week we have been slitting our wrists because we lost a football game and while all this was going on thousands are going through what this family have been faced with this last year.

I send my heartfelt condolences to Oscar's family and applaude the Eels for their support and to me shows what a top bloke Hindmarsh is. I will always barrack for the Tiges but you know what if it makes just 80 minutes of Oscars's family easier I will not for one second begrudge the Eels a win tonight.

Juro

Post by Juro » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:37 am

Oh great, now we're all going to have a huge guilt trip if we win the game...
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

IronTiger

Post by IronTiger » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:42 am

No not guilty but just makes you realise it really doesn't matter THAT much.

triserratops

Post by triserratops » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:49 am

Juro wrote:Oh great, now we're all going to have a huge guilt trip if we win the game...
To put it simply:
No Guilts!
:|
Go Wests Tigers!
:sign:
We can't change the match result but we can change the way we live our lives.
;)

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:50 am

Juro wrote:Oh great, now we're all going to have a huge guilt trip if we win the game...
If it makes it easier for you to accept a win I will go via a retirement home and hobble some pensioners and than drape tham in a Tigers blanket

FTR I am not deliberatley making light of the situation which is tragic without doubt. What I am saying is tthat there are hundreds, and I mean literally hundreds of fans of NRL teams fighting terminal ilness at the moment and some of those lose their fight every week.
Last edited by smeghead on Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

MGB

Post by MGB » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 8:51 am

IronTiger wrote:I will always barrack for the Tiges but you know what if it makes just 80 minutes of Oscars's family easier I will not for one second begrudge the Eels a win tonight.
Hard to disagree.

triserratops

Post by triserratops » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:10 am

so its a case of:
may the best team win?!
OR
may the team wearing gold,black and white collect the 2 points and offer their condolences later?!

jezz

Post by jezz » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:22 am

This game means a lot to me and my family. This is one time i will cry with joy IF Parra win.
My family lost a child to the same ULTRA agressive cancer as Oscar, in fact the two boys were in westmead childrens hospital at similar times, so much so that oscars parents and my sister in law and her husband became good friends.
Our hearts go out to chris and jane at this time.
Heres hoping that the MOM donates his winnings to Cure our kids, a cancer charity dedicated to creating an oncology department at the childrens hospital at westmead.
Rest in peace little Oscar, your battle is now over and your in a better place, May you and Bailey have fun for all eternity.

willow

Post by willow » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 9:39 am

It's tragic that the poor little bloke was struck down by cancer. No child deserves to have their life cut short. I understand the Tigers have also offered Oscar's family a private box to watch tonight's game.

Beavis

Post by Beavis » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:14 am

And good on the WestsTigers.

It's our home game, and they are giving Oscar's family the use of a corporate box for the evening if they wish to use it.

Adman

Post by Adman » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 1:38 pm

Just once... I would love to win one of these hyped up matches. We always tend to faulter in these kinda games.

chilbury

Post by chilbury » Fri 26 Mar, 2010 3:14 pm

Well i know one thing guys It wont be the bounce of the ball like last year for Hayes !!! and losing our star winger
we should win this!!!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:01 am

Well done Wests Tigers supporters...and the 2 bays of Parra fans...

The minutes silence for Oscar was outstanding....not a pin drop,,,,
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

NJLM78

Post by NJLM78 » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:40 am

Geo. wrote:Well done Wests Tigers supporters...and the 2 bays of Parra fans...

Everytime I have been at a game where a minute silence was taken someone always needs to yell out or blow a horn. Well done to everyone there tonight. Im sure that the respect everyone showed would have helped the family in some very small way.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 12:46 am

Geo. wrote:Well done Wests Tigers supporters...and the 2 bays of Parra fans...

Heh in the feed I was watching online the users actually stopped typing during that time too. It was class.

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:30 am

Yeah I noticed this on the telly but have to say that I was a bit dissapointed becasue before the minutes silence had finished, Rabs started talking which I felt was a but of poor form. Anyway good work to those fans out there for their respect.

RIP Little Guy!!