What a performance!!

Year of the Tiger

What a performance!!

Post by Year of the Tiger » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:54 pm

I haven't had much web time in the last few days but I can’t find a dedicated topic where our team has received the praise they deserved for Friday's game and maybe it goes without saying but this is my praise space because I was Thomas the doubter last week ...

I watched Friday night’s game (live) in Fiji. Now yes, I am on holidays drinking a Fiji gold watching the game live but that was an awesome if not extraordinary performance by the team against Parra. For 5 days we faced a demoralising loss, bad press, a short turnaround and we were about to face our nemesis who were last years’ grand finalists.

The forwards were a totally different pack! No point in highlighting one of them (except maybe KG who stood out with some big hits) because they all dominated parra for the whole game. They all hit and ran harder. I kept thinking at each 20 min interval that they would capitulate and Fui or Poore would get on top them but it never happened, even when the bench came on - we stayed strong - FOR 80 MINS - well done forwards! It was the platform they laid for our backs that really highlighted where this team could go. Great to see Heighno have a big game.

What can I say about the back? Well our backline given the front foot is the best in the NRL IMO. Marshall had room and went to town - an unbelievable performance. Yes, that flick pass happened on our line but it demonstrated Lote is already in our boys groove and that Marshall is about to have another 05 season :righton: Haven't looked but Benji's Dally M odds just got very short no doubt. And Lote is a star - what a buy. He is a consummate professional and on par with any other finisher. I don’t wont to create another 7 topic but Moltz was a different player and he played the right game for Marshall to shine. I really hope he stays for the duration of Lui's break, and IMO Sheens will have no choice :pray:. Beau Ryan - hasn't this kid come along! He is such a hard worker. It wasn't just his running game (think those sidelines runs out of our half) but he defended well too. Farah was back to his best (or close) and that kick for Lote was amazing. Lawrence was oh so close to breaking the line so many times - pity he didn't see the tryline because he deserved it. And with Ayshford we are just spoilt - and we still have TNT to come!

IMO there was not one performance in 2009 (even in our run home) that came close to that one. To my surprise, we really the showed the "grit and mental toughness" that had been talked of all pre-season.

So where to now? Just more of that boys. A good dose of guts, a limited dose of razzle-dazzle, and loads of classy, quality footy :master:
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

thylacine

Post by thylacine » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 2:53 pm

What he said :supporter:

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 8:35 pm

Hey hey settle down now yes we played well but Parra were ordinary to say the least but they were still in the game well into the second half, we had a lot of ball in the first half and the score was only 8-0 and i was nervous.
We kept them quiet with good defence but they just didn't fire and in the end the scoreline didn't reflect how close the game actually was for some time before the late blowout.
Not taking anything away from a good win but nothing to get excited about yet, and i bet Sheens isn't all that fussed either, he's seen it all before.
If we can defend like that all year we will go a long way. It's just a pitty that it takes someone to publicly say we have no ticker for us to come out and defend like that.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 8:40 pm

TIGER wrote:Hey hey settle down now yes we played well but Parra were ordinary to say the least but they were still in the game well into the second half, we had a lot of ball in the first half and the score was only 8-0 and i was nervous.
We kept them quiet with good defence but they just didn't fire and in the end the scoreline didn't reflect how close the game actually was for some time before the late blowout.
Not taking anything away from a good win but nothing to get excited about yet, and i bet Sheens isn't all that fussed either, he's seen it all before.
If we can defend like that all year we will go a long way. It's just a pitty that it takes someone to publicly say we have no ticker for us to come out and defend like that.
You settle down mothette.

We owned Parra and our boys deserve the kudos.

IMO the score flattered Parra......we came out,starched up and owned them.

2 out of three.

Very nice.

Year of the Tiger

Post by Year of the Tiger » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 9:36 pm

TIGER wrote:Hey hey settle down now yes we played well but Parra were ordinary to say the least but they were still in the game well into the second half, we had a lot of ball in the first half and the score was only 8-0 and i was nervous.
Seriously, when did we last have a game like that? The game was in the balance and parra showed last week that they were very capable of taking it from us. A huge win IMHO

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm not saying we weren't great but i think you have to say Parra got off to a slow start and never really got going.
Just don't get too excited about the win because i think Parra and the final score made us look better than we were.
It just worries me when we have a heap of possession but don't put many points on, we should of put Parra away much earlier.
What i'm trying to say is we still struggle to put teams away we give them too many opportunities to get back in the game even though we dominate possession and field position for long periods. Benjis kicking was a big factor.

Year of the Tiger

Post by Year of the Tiger » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:10 pm

I suppose the thrust of my glory post was that we finally did what all the pundits said we couldn't do or said we weren't doing. We lived up to our pre-season hype (and gee I have lived the hype - after 4 years) and we did it in a rather convincing style. For my mind, you compare us to the game against the same team in round 24 - we are much better now and its damn exciting. PS I am not saying we are there yet, and "mental toughness and grit" is better handed out as an accolade after a few games. But this tiger has a sniff ...! PPS and I still think thats our best game in a very long time

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:52 pm

Year of the Tiger wrote:I suppose the thrust of my glory post was that we finally did what all the pundits said we couldn't do or said we weren't doing. We lived up to our pre-season hype (and gee I have lived the hype - after 4 years) and we did it in a rather convincing style. For my mind, you compare us to the game against the same team in round 24 - we are much better now and its damn exciting. PS I am not saying we are there yet, and "mental toughness and grit" is better handed out as an accolade after a few games. But this tiger has a sniff ...! PPS and I still think thats our best game in a very long time
Storm Leichhardt..09

Cows Townsville .....08

see the need for consistancy...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Mon 29 Mar, 2010 1:38 pm

we might see some consistency this season....this year is different. can you sense it?
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"