Woods V Hargraves

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Re: Woods V Hargraves

Unread post by willow » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 7:50 pm

JWH loves playing the Tigers, no one in our pack is capable of putting him firmly on his backside, the only player we had who could do it had his career cut short. Woods just isn't an aggressive player, he's pretty smart and chews the metres up but defensively he is not strong which is his only real downfall IMO. If Woods could flatten blokes he'd be the best front rower in the comp.

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 7:55 pm

willow wrote:JWH loves playing the Tigers, no one in our pack is capable of putting him firmly on his backside, the only player we had who could do it had his career cut short. Woods just isn't an aggressive player, he's pretty smart and chews the metres up but defensively he is not strong which is his only real downfall IMO. If Woods could flatten blokes he'd be the best front rower in the comp.
He doesnt even try Willow. Hargraves and Evans ran straight over him and it did nothing to change his lacklustre mood. He's in Origin cruise mode.

Over the next 18 months, if Felise, Tatola and Alioai come on i would let Woods go.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 7:58 pm

king sirro wrote:
willow wrote:JWH loves playing the Tigers, no one in our pack is capable of putting him firmly on his backside, the only player we had who could do it had his career cut short. Woods just isn't an aggressive player, he's pretty smart and chews the metres up but defensively he is not strong which is his only real downfall IMO. If Woods could flatten blokes he'd be the best front rower in the comp.
He doesnt even try Willow. Hargraves and Evans ran straight over him and it did nothing to change his lacklustre mood. He's in Origin cruise mode.

Over the next 18 months, if Felise, Tatola and Alioai come on i would let Woods go.
Cruise is a good description. Woods just goes through the motions. Whenever we play a top forward pack you can see the difference between Woods and the best props in the game.

Mickeyboy
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Mickeyboy » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 7:58 pm

I wonder what other teams forward pack gets a bit worried knowing they have to face the tigers pack. i don't really - it would be no team

cunno

Unread post by cunno » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:06 pm

I wonder whether Woods easy come easy go attitude makes him look soft and just going through the motions or whether he really is more of a gentle giant. Whilst he is a good player he gives the impression that he is playing with the same intensity he had when in the U20s. He needs to develop some controlled Agro to compliment his playing ability. So instead of chewing up meters, hurt some defenders along the way rather than submit and include some punishing hits in the tackle count not just numbers.

Eddie
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:09 pm

Woods is a different type of forward.

He is valuable however he lacks aggression.

Hargraves bullied him.

Doesn't mean we get rid of Woods.

However we need a player like Bird , Gareth Ellis or Beau Scott who can stand up to these guys.

We have no one.

tiga4eva
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tiga4eva » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:13 pm

Fordy20 wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:all starts with our pack and we havent had a good one since arguably 2014 before injuries, otherwise 2011.
Woods, Galloway and Sue starting with Gavet and Taupau coming off the bench... those were the days. I remember that pack steamrolling Souths, Manly and a couple of other rated packs. I thought it was going to be the start of something until that horror run with injuries that lead to Potter being sacked.
Not injuries mate, Robbie happened

Fordy20

Unread post by Fordy20 » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:38 pm

That's right Robbie got injured. During that time, we had a narrow win against Parra and lost two on the trot before he came back. Then during the Origin period, we won every game he played and lost every game he didn't. Then injuries caught up with us, with Bodene Thompson playing in the centres before he got injured too and other second rowers like Sitaleki Akauola and Cory Paterson playing on the wing.

bp tiger
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by bp tiger » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:57 pm

woods should have been the one rested today he played like a powder puff, once again our forwards went missing.

tigermac88
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by tigermac88 » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:57 pm

It's really starting to get to me with Woods, why on earth does he turn and back into the defensive line every time he takes a hit up instead of trying to run with intent and get through the line. It's almost as if he's afraid of the heavy contact so turns his back to the defence so he doesn't get hurt.

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 8:58 pm

As per earlier comments, Woods is a workhorse - he's a rich man's Aiden Tolman, rather than a firebrand.
That said, he looked disinterested today and was very poor. SOO obviously has an impact on him - it was around this stage last year where his form really dropped off.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 9:08 pm

king sirro wrote:

I like Woods but anyone who thinks he is worth top dollar for us is crazy. If we retain him it needs to be on fair money. He is a solid prop. Great metres. Solid defence. Good footwork for a big man. Not a game breaker or anywhere close to it.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 9:14 pm

but he says 2041 a lot

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 153 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 10:15 pm

Eddie wrote:Woods is a different type of forward.

Hargraves bullied him.

However we need a player like Bird , Gareth Ellis or Beau Scott who can stand up to these guys.

We have no one.
I was hoping for Sue to be this guy, but he hasn't come on as the enforcer that I'd envisaged.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 153 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 10:17 pm

:(

I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sun 05 Jun, 2016 10:17 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Eddie wrote:Woods is a different type of forward.

Hargraves bullied him.

We have no one.
I was hoping for Sue to be this guy, but he hasn't come on as the enforcer that I'd envisaged.
He goes hard, but always seems to be slow to get up whether defending or being tackled.

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 4:37 am

I agree completely with Willow's post about the stark contrast between Woodsy and Waerea-Hargreaves. Waerea- Hargreaves would be rubbing his hands together with glee at the prospect of playing the Tigers. He smashes us every time with his bull-like charges and quick play the balls whereas Woods plods for his metres and basically gives the opposition defenders time to get set with his slow motion trundles.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 6:59 am

Early in the game Hargreaves had a scowl on his face like he had a bad stomachache or he wanted to bite the heads off chickens.
Woods had what was almost a smile.
"Quality Stupidity"

Return to “Round 13: Wests Tigers vs Sydney Roosters”