Woods V Hargraves

Telltails

Re: Woods V Hargraves

Post by Telltails » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 11:13 am

Special player JWH and is getting better. Don't think he will get owned by anyone anymore. Hats off to Simon Dwyer - could have been anything.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 12:48 pm

JWH:

252 meters
22 runs
28 tackles
3 offloads
5 tackle busts

This dude single handledly destroyed us.

stevied

Post by stevied » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 1:00 pm

And I have to say I wasn't the least bit surprised. He was the man that had to be stopped but, once again, he was allowed to trample and intimidate us, both legally and illegally.

Post by 851 » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 1:01 pm

Telltails wrote:Special player JWH and is getting better. Don't think he will get owned by anyone anymore. Hats off to Simon Dwyer - could have been anything.
So true, what happened to Simon was terrible, and we have not got even close to replacing him. :cry:
Go hard or go home

turbodewd

Post by turbodewd » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi guys,

Im actually a Raiders fan, but this issue has been troubling me since Origin 3 last year. Now Aaron Woods had never been on my radar until that game when (in his most important game of the year) conceded 4 penalties. He was unlucky on one, but also lucky not to be called on his late hit on Thurston.

Anyway, lets make this an evidence-based post. Yesterday's game was typical Woods:

At 17:26 Daniel Tupou runs at him fast and Woods goes in for a 1v1 – Woods is knocked back. Woods then returns to the tackle and assist. Basically Woods never tackles hard - never. He is an upright grabber and he absorbs the runner.

At 24:00 Woods plays the ball sideways on the Roosers goal line, amazed there was no penalty :crazy

And at 54:47 two tigers wrap up a Rooster, a 3rd Tiger runs past seeing that the tackle is done…but not Woods..he comes from behind the first Tiger who ran past to flop on. what a joke!

Woods trundles when he runs and often ends up bum on. Often ends up on his back. Rarely knocks over tacklers. :(

In defense Woods is an upright grabber, never a punishing tackler. And he loves to flop on as 3rd man and end up at marker.

Im sorry, how on earth is he in the Aus team? How was he Dally M prop of 2015? He is so average! His stats are misleading. :bash

turbodewd

Post by turbodewd » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 1:58 pm

I agree with the sentiment in the thread. Woods isn't a punishing tackler or runner - he is supremely average. He flops in to tackles as 3rd man too often and often ends up on his back when running. What is it about him that ppl think is Dally M Prop of 2015 material?!

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 2:01 pm

It is hard to argue with what you say.
I think it's the hair and the beard which gives him a hard-man mystique.
You pointed out his many faults in game 3 of origin but remember that his game 2 try was not only awesome but an iconic moment for all NSW fans.
He is a very good front-rower, not great. He is probably a top 15 prop. The better one's arguably being: Tamou, Scott, Hannant, McGuire, Fifita, George Burgess, Lillyman, Matulino, Waerea-Hargreaves, Klemmer, Kasiano, Graham, Bromwich (and there are others but only 2/3 of this list are NSWelshmen, so his selection in origin is justified for me).
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 2:01 pm

the problem is he hasn't developed in the last 2 years. he's had the same definiciencies when he was 22/23 when he got picked in SOO and test matches. he hasn't improved his first contact when tackling and marker defence. he's developed an ability to pass at the line and has always had the ability to poke his head through the defensive line.

anyway, let's not forget he's only 25 still. he still has a long way to go and im positive he'll improve on his game.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

turbodewd

Post by turbodewd » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 2:46 pm

Now the unfortunate thing for Woods is that now, due to Daley, he will always be a Blue - so why try harder?! He got Dally M prop last year - why try to fix the flaws in his game?! Im just baffled...

jctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jctiger » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:04 pm

bigsiro wrote:It is hard to argue with what you say.
I think it's the hair and the beard which gives him a hard-man mystique.
You pointed out his many faults in game 3 of origin but remember that his game 2 try was not only awesome but an iconic moment for all NSW fans.
He is a very good front-rower, not great. He is probably a top 15 prop. The better one's arguably being: Tamou, Scott, Hannant, McGuire, Fifita, George Burgess, Lillyman, Matulino, Waerea-Hargreaves, Klemmer, Kasiano, Graham, Bromwich (and there are others but only 2/3 of this list are NSWelshmen, so his selection in origin is justified for me).
The hair has to go. He's taken the likeable larrikin too far and that's exactly how he plays on the field.
Every time I look at him I see Wilfred the dog, I don't know how his misses puts up with it.
He needs a makeover with some agro thrown

Post by 2041 » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:15 pm

My word there is some dribbling on this thread. There isn't a team in the competition that Woods wouldn't start for and yes I include the Cowboys in that - Woods is clearly doing more than Tamou week in, week out. He's a rep quality prop playing in a busted pack, he plays major minutes week after week and is almost always produces the best numbers of any Tiger. We should be bloody glad he didn't go to Manly when he had the chance, because without him we've got very little up front.

Yes, Hargreaves had a much better game yesterday. It happens. Last week Woods was clearly the best prop NSW had, and there were multiple match reports I saw arguing that one of Daley's big mistakes was not giving Woods enough game time. To expect the guy to knock out 200 metres, 50 tackles and half a dozen offloads game after game without ever having an off week is just insane.

I simply cannot believe that there are people who call themselves Tigers fans who are turning on the guy (I couldn't give a monkeys about some troll Raiders fan jumping on - whatever mate, no-one asked you). Seriously, whoever it was said George Burgess is better than Woods - go for a lie down, pal. Or, better: have a look at a Souths forum - half of them want both the Burgess twins punted. Lillyman! Take a look at yourself mate.

I mean, as if the Tigers don't have problems enough without this sort of garbage.

turbodewd

Post by turbodewd » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:19 pm

2041, I posted 3 factual things from the game with the times mentioned. Woods is average.

Woods has never put a hit on anyone as far as I can tell. His run stats are decent - but the quality of those runs is debateable.

And his tackle stats are misleading coz he is a 3rd-in-flopper. And a bad one at times. Mate, I was so puzzled by his worship I decided to join the Tigers forums to see if Im alone, im not. Woods needs a rocket.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:26 pm

Fair enough, Lillyman was a bit of a stretch - but he is consistent.
George Burgess however is better than Woods. He would walk into the NSW team.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:29 pm

I see the point of fact that everyone has said about woodsy. Was it stated on here early in the season by the torch that he was doing extra sessions on making more dominant tackles. If so I really do think he is failing, having said that I'm not against his performances this season.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Post by 2041 » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:39 pm

turbodewd wrote:2041, I posted 3 factual things from the game with the times mentioned. Woods is average.

Woods has never put a hit on anyone as far as I can tell. His run stats are decent - but the quality of those runs is debateable.

And his tackle stats are misleading coz he is a 3rd-in-flopper. And a bad one at times. Mate, I was so puzzled by his worship I decided to join the Tigers forums to see if Im alone, im not. Woods needs a rocket.
Cool story bro.

Post by 2041 » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:41 pm

bigsiro wrote:Fair enough, Lillyman was a bit of a stretch - but he is consistent.
George Burgess hasn't been able to walk into the Souths team this season, even when he's been fit. As I say, you should hear what their fans think about him. Offer a straight swap to Souths, Woods for George Burgess, and they'd almost be laughing too hard to say yes. Then they'd say yes.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:45 pm

2041 wrote:
bigsiro wrote:Fair enough, Lillyman was a bit of a stretch - but he is consistent.
George Burgess hasn't been able to walk into the Souths team this season, even when he's been fit. As I say, you should hear what their fans think about him. Offer a straight swap to Souths, Woods for George Burgess, and they'd almost be laughing too hard to say yes. Then they'd say yes.
Cool story bro

Post by 2041 » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 3:49 pm

bigsiro wrote:
2041 wrote:
Cool story bro
Jacob Lillyman liked yours more.