Ok, So Why Are We So Soft?

happy tiger

Re: Ok, So Why Are We So Soft?

Post by happy tiger » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 7:09 pm

jctiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Did anyone honestly think we could match the Roosters size and speed in those conditions

Especially when matched with their kicking game
We could of if we had some line speed.
We don't move up, we just stand there waiting for them to come to us.
By the time we make contact they have all the momentum and put us on our backsides instead of us knocking them down.
When we have the ball they are meeting us at the ruck hense the trouble we always have making ground against the bigger sides.
I'd like to blame the refs for allowing them to be offside but on the weekend our line speed was non existent.
Unless you have someone who can lead the line speed and hit and stick , line speed is worthless

jctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jctiger » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 7:41 pm

happy tiger wrote:
jctiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:Did anyone honestly think we could match the Roosters size and speed in those conditions

Especially when matched with their kicking game
We could of if we had some line speed.
We don't move up, we just stand there waiting for them to come to us.
By the time we make contact they have all the momentum and put us on our backsides instead of us knocking them down.
When we have the ball they are meeting us at the ruck hense the trouble we always have making ground against the bigger sides.
I'd like to blame the refs for allowing them to be offside but on the weekend our line speed was non existent.
Unless you have someone who can lead the line speed and hit and stick , line speed is worthless

Cool, so the alternative is to stand there and get smashed.
If only we had a coach that could rectify this.

Chevy

Post by Chevy » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 8:04 pm

Soft,leaderless,hookerless no wonder we lost,JWH showed nothing but contempt for WT.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 8:05 pm

Too focused on KPI's... JWH showed us what we need!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 9:22 pm

This is the real problem in our club. Not the coach, or maybe all the coaches, not the players or maybe all the individual players. I dunno. But soft is the word, and I would apply it to every single year of our existence except 2005 and 2010. Even 2011, against the Warriors, we beat ourselves. Don't get me started on the other years Lol

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 10:14 pm

Reckon Marty and Blair would hep address this issue.
Taylor has to go. He wanted a forward style game while he let them go.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 3:39 am

stevetiger wrote:
bonstonker wrote:it's our culture.

now you may ask why is it always the same even with different coaches.
for us it has been about bringing in junior talent.
these kids only know the wests tigers way.
they come into grade and it just continues.
we need to start with recruiting the best line speed defenders in the comp and create a new standard in defense.
this also needs to start with u/20 or whatever the comp is in the future.
I don't believe any of this. We need to balance defence and attack. We need to have a coaching staff that know how to prepare a team and get them up for games. We need a quality squad.
I don't expect you to believe something you don't understand

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 6:01 am

Lol

krayola

Post by krayola » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 11:41 am

Not really sure why we can't attract ferocious players the same way most clubs can. I mean, we have Sue and....., well that's about it. Felise will be a handful in years to come. But Canberra has about 10 of them; they're not in short supply.
One of my sources is Pascoe

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 12:29 pm

Anyone remember this?
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

tigersforever

Post by tigersforever » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 7:24 pm

Why is it that only the fans know that we continually make the wrong decisions defensively down Naiqama and Nofoaluma's side. Kevin may defend one on one ok but that is it. Only good thing about it I continually clean up on try scorers from the other teams on that side on the punt.
It is hard for the halves without much go forward, Moses has really come on unfortunately Brooks has struggled a bit, maybe a week down a grade to help his confidence.

stevied

Post by stevied » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 9:55 pm

Of course Brooks should be demoted. Most of us agree but it's probably the most futile selection suggestion any of us will make....

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 10:09 pm

we need to start with recruiting the best line speed defenders in the comp and create a new standard in defense.
I tend to agree with this

A heavy focus on juniors it seems its just a natural progression for many of these kids, its like the senior district team...Matts -> ball -> 20s -> firsts.
Blokes like Sirro and Teddy were from our two diff districts playing against each other for years , district reps and then theyre in the same team at the top with others like Brooks Moses Sue Woods...were a district team in a national comp, and play like one...just the same ol same ol for them
A focus away from juniors with more emphasis on Origin & NRL quality imports can go a long way to changing a culture. We can dream...I know the reasons why its difficult for us in the regard
Add a hard nose capable experienced coach

Ive heard it many time Ben Kennedy on his own changed the culture at manly

Canberra for years have been a development club like us, providing juniors for others to hand pick when theyre ripe...they recruit blokes liek Austin, Sezer, Paulo Hodgson Soliola Lima etc...

Relying on juniors keeps the old fans happy...we had a crack SG Ball team a few years back that killed everything yet thats really got us nowhere up top now

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 10:29 pm

innsaneink wrote:

A heavy focus on juniors it seems its just a natural progression for many of these kids, its like the senior district team...Matts -> ball -> 20s -> firsts.
Blokes like Sirro and Teddy were from our two diff districts playing against each other for years , district reps and then theyre in the same team at the top with others like Brooks Moses Sue Woods...were a district team in a national comp, and play like one...just the same ol same ol for them
A focus away from juniors with more emphasis on Origin & NRL quality imports can go a long way to changing a culture. We can dream...I know the reasons why its difficult for us in the regard

Canberra for years have been a development club like us, providing juniors for others to hand pick when theyre ripe...they recruit blokes liek Austin, Sezer, Paulo Hodgson Soliola Lima etc...

Relying on juniors keeps the old fans happy...we had a crack SG Ball team a few years back that killed everything yet thats really got us nowhere up top now
You both have made excellent points. Imagine what a few hard nosed imports could do for this clubs culture? The young blokes would crap themselves or rise to the challenge.

No one appears to be leading from the front, Woods gallivants around with the (C) next to his name but does nothing to back his players. To think we nearly had James Graham burns me even more now, we need a bloke like him more than ever.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 4:15 am

innsaneink wrote:

I think you two have nailed it. Great observations.
"Quality Stupidity"

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 8:29 am

I agree with the last few posts - I am sure management do as well.

We do not have the money to buy hard nosed players.

We will though and then we can see what the management do.

I would like to know why Brown left, did he have issues with what was going on?, didn't like the coach?, wanted a chance to play NRL sooner?, was it a money issue, was it a Farah issue?, Was he pushed because he wasn't wanted?
Anyone know the real reason? JT haters can opt out. I want a real answer and if it was JT that's fair enough.

I think, like a lot of others that we should have kept him (would have been a much better proposition than Koro, Austin, Tapau, Martin, JAC etc.

Thoughts please.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 8:53 am

Russell wrote:I agree with the last few posts - I am sure management do as well.

We do not have the money to buy hard nosed players.

We will though and then we can see what the management do.

I would like to know why Brown left, did he have issues with what was going on?, didn't like the coach?, wanted a chance to play NRL sooner?, was it a money issue, was it a Farah issue?, Was he pushed because he wasn't wanted?
Anyone know the real reason? JT haters can opt out. I want a real answer and if it was JT that's fair enough.

I think, like a lot of others that we should have kept him (would have been a much better proposition than Koro, Austin, Tapau, Martin, JAC etc.

Thoughts please.

Without doubt the cap and the backended deals the club entered into has been our biggest problem. Yes we have let some quality players go but if we had retained them you probably would not have had Teddy, Woods and a few others. So it has been all about trying to get the right balance and they have made some big mistakes like all clubs, but they have made some very good calls also.

I think the basic problem we face is, no team in the NRL can get anywhere close to putting a top four team together by spending their cap, you need TPA's and plenty of them to assemble a champion team. Okay people will argue in 2005 we did it being 500 grand under the cap, that was a once in a blue moon happening and I doubt will happen again. People look at the Titians and compare them to us, but if you go through there roster they have a lot of players with plenty of NRL experience, they are a better side on paper and on the field than our mob.

Anyway Iam optimistic that things will change in the next two years, but I also could be way off the money