Taylor- Post Match Interview

stevied

Taylor- Post Match Interview

Post by stevied » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:20 am

I thought that Taylor said some sensible things in the post match interview although some of it was a little hard to follow. The interviewer made comments about the excellent attack of the team and his reply attempted to dampen the excitement about the flashy plays by focusing on the team's improved composure. Is that the way you saw it? I think it might of been a psychological ploy to avoid our young halves getting too excited and carried away with their performance. Also, it was interesting the way he gave the credit for the kick off try to Sandercock and, also his reluctance to say much about Farah's performance. Nice to see Woods laugh at his occasional dry humour. Altogether it was a good interview although Taylor could definitely afford to smile once in a while!
Last edited by stevied on Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:31 am

It's coaching 101 to play down excitement and praise to put the focus on other areas that either need improvement or have improved and receive very little fanfare. He's had this team heading in the right direction since Canberra. Most would have had us struggling to win 4 more games for the rest of the yr let alone out of the next 6 games.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:40 am

Agreed. Overall, I think Taylor has some sound ideas about how to coach a football team but he and the team have been sent backwards by some of his earlier strategic errors. ie. Playing ultra conservative, defensive football and refusing to drop players.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:47 am

stevied wrote:Agreed. Overall, I think Taylor has some sound ideas about how to coach a football team but he and the team have been sent backwards by some of his earlier strategic errors. ie. Playing ultra conservative, defensive football and refusing to drop players.
We never should have lost 6 in a row, despite a couple of those games we were unlucky. Like I said in the other thread, we don't have the forwards to match a lot of teams, and that will continue to be our alchillies heal.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:58 am

Basically true, as we don't have a lot of size, but look at how our forwards went against Souths and the Burgess brothers. Isn't a lot of it attitude? We could probably do with a bit more Gallen style aggression but is this a coaching factor - the ability to fire up the team?

And, maybe Taylor's found the answer - bring back the offload, a la 2005!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 2:04 am

Good point re attitude, but the Burgess' are playing like busteds this yr. As long as we keep competing and picking up points from the teams around us that's all we can ask for atm.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 7:39 am

stevied wrote:Basically true, as we don't have a lot of size, but look at how our forwards went against Souths and the Burgess brothers. Isn't a lot of it attitude? We could probably do with a bit more Gallen style aggression but is this a coaching factor - the ability to fire up the team?

The offload is always one of the more devastating elements of a teams attack.Pity it has taken 18 months for it to be used :roll:

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 8:00 am

All this talk about attack - we scored the 6th most points in the comp last year despite coming 15th.

The so called boring defensive play of 2015 actually had us scoring more points then Storm, Bunnies, Sharks and Dragons who all made the top 8 in storm's case the top 4.

The other night was great but the best thing about it was keeping a team to under 20 points when we do that we win

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 8:17 am

Boonboon2 wrote:All this talk about attack - we scored the 6th most points in the comp last year despite coming 15th.

The so called boring defensive play of 2015 actually had us scoring more points then Storm, Bunnies, Sharks and Dragons who all made the top 8 in storm's case the top 4.

The other night was great but the best thing about it was keeping a team to under 20 points when we do that we win
Thank you for the inciteful reminder that the aim of the game is to score more points than your opposition. In order to achieve this you MUST RESTRICT the opposition to LESS POINTS than you score, so defence is very important!

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 8:20 am

Boonboon2 wrote:All this talk about attack - we scored the 6th most points in the comp last year despite coming 15th.

Yes but think how many more games we might have won if we'd played to our strengths. No one's saying we shouldn't practice defense but, as well as stopping the opposition, we have to score. The deciding factors in Fridays game were our completion rate AND our defense. Our strong completion rate, came while offloading and throwing the ball around. A perfect combination for us.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 8:45 am

Whilst repeating myself, they have been playing pretty well the same since the opening round, though one player did play more direct than usual when he came on this week. WT just executed the game plan a bit better and timed the similar number of selective offloads, with ET also helping out in the middle of late. Eliminate errors to complete sets and win.

Unlike most I have warmed to Taylor since the very low point a little more than a year ago and think that he goes okay in the pressers. Still can't say that I like him, but he deserves to see out the season at worst, particularly having been already been forced to become part of the "we" coaching staff.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:00 am

Hes improved remarkably on his interviews...

... Wish we could say the same for brooks

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:07 am

stevied wrote:

Yes but think how many more games we might have won if we'd played to our strengths. No one's saying we shouldn't practice defense but, as well as stopping the opposition, we have to score. The deciding factors in Fridays game were our completion rate AND our defense. Our strong completion rate, came while offloading and throwing the ball around. A perfect combination for us.
Geo. wrote:Offloads/Errors

Rd 1 - 8/10
Rd 2 - 2/7
Rd 3 - 9/14
Rd 4 - 9/12
Rd 5 - 5/10
Rd 6 - 6/12
Rd 7 - 5/10
Rd 8 - 1/13
Rd 9 - 4/4
Rd 10 - 1/13
Rd 11 - 10/8
Rd 12 - 10/6
Rd 13 - 8/13
Rd 14 - 9/6

Off loads are great when done effectively our numbers are fairly consistent if you take out the Raiders and Dogs Rd 8/10 pummelling's,...

What I found more interesting was when we have conceded less than 10 Errors we have won every game...Concede more has lost us every game...
From the Offloads thread ...seems appropriate here..Error Counts less than 10 = Win..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:11 am

stevied wrote:Agreed. Overall, I think Taylor has some sound ideas about how to coach a football team but he and the team have been sent backwards by some of his earlier strategic errors. ie. Playing ultra conservative, defensive football and refusing to drop players.
I think the "ultra-conservative" game plan is just a myth. It's impossible to play good attacking footy when you drop the ball and get owned by the opposition pack.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:16 am

jadtiger wrote:
stevied wrote:Basically true, as we don't have a lot of size, but look at how our forwards went against Souths and the Burgess brothers. Isn't a lot of it attitude? We could probably do with a bit more Gallen style aggression but is this a coaching factor - the ability to fire up the team?

The offload is always one of the more devastating elements of a teams attack.Pity it has taken 18 months for it to be used :roll:
Maybe they had to learn to stop dropping the ball and giving away cheap penalties before they earnt the right to off load. It could be all part of a larger progressive plan he has - how would we know. Easier to take things at face value and put the boot in.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:21 am

stevied wrote:Nice to see Woods laugh at his occasional dry humour. Altogether it was a good interview although Taylor could definitely afford to smile once in a while!
He's made me laugh twice recently: When he praised Sandercock but then immediately (jokingly) bagged him for his poor scrum play from a previous week. And when he was asked by Freddy about the one thing the wet weather changes besides ball control. Some here thought he was lost, but his humour is just a little dry.

It shows he is feeling confident in his position. Whether or not you might want him gone, you still want him confident and supported while he is here.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:25 am

If we had a better coach I think we would have been performing a lot better than what we have been.

I think he has been learning on the job which I'm cool with if he gets it right going forward.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:30 am

stevied wrote:

The people arguing defence is so important have no idea. I don't think we've been that bad this year but last year there were times when we didn't threaten with the ball at all. The opposition just got a free ride in defence. That makes it easier to attack.

We looked so much better because we off loaded the footy and came up with some planned attacking plays. It's about trying to win games rather than just hoping that we don't get beat by a lot.