Wests Tigers have a shot in 2016

ricksen

Re: Wests Tigers have a shot in 2016

Post by ricksen » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 10:01 pm

Problem is we have a pretty tough draw over the next little while, so I think we'll struggle to keep the points coming in. Too many poor results in the first half of the season.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:37 am

Fun facts.
Since 2005.
We are 1 win better at this stage in the season than our premiership year of 2005.
If we win against the storm we would equal our second best start to a season on 7 wins out of 15 rounds.
Our most wins by round 15 is 8 only achieved once in 2010.
Doesn't seem all that bad does it.
Imagine if we had of beat Melbourne in golden point and shown up against knights in the first game.
And the good news is we finish much better than we start, evidenced even in last year's performances.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 5:55 am

Needaname wrote:Fun facts.
Since 2005.
We are 1 win better at this stage in the season than our premiership year of 2005.
If we win against the storm we would equal our second best start to a season on 7 wins out of 15 rounds.
Imagine if we had of beat Melbourne in golden point and shown up against knights in the first game.
And the good news is we finish much better than we start, evidenced even in last year's performances.
More than 50% once in 16 years at halfawy.
No...not that bad. :|
Considering we make the finals once every five years on avg, Im not filled with confidence...shows me weve been consistently bad

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 7:12 am

AmericanHistoryX wrote:............With Origin having little effect on them..........Jack Aubrey
Does that mean the players selected out of WT to play origin are no great loss?
Cultured Bogan wrote:We were good against the Bunnies, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves though. They were diabolical........
These kind of comments bug me. How often to WT supporters downplay the teams efforts with comments about how poor the opposition was.
I thought that this was how competition worked. We play our game, they play theirs. If we play our game better than they do, we win. But also sometimes if we play our game very well we put them off their game altogether, making it look like they played poorly.
I think this team has the capacity to play their own game well, as evidenced by close results, IE we played well they played a bit better. On occasion we get swamped and play badly e.g. Raiders result.
I doubt that the Raiders supporters said after that game, 'Yeah we won, but the Tigers were awful'.
Rant over.
"Quality Stupidity"

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 8:49 am

I think that Canberra game stuffed up our for and against too much and with the lack of goal kicking, it's going to be harder to clear that ledger

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 9:51 am

NT Tiger wrote:
AmericanHistoryX wrote:............With Origin having little effect on them..........Jack Aubrey
Does that mean the players selected out of WT to play origin are no great loss?
Cultured Bogan wrote:We were good against the Bunnies, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves though. They were diabolical........
These kind of comments bug me. How often to WT supporters downplay the teams efforts with comments about how poor the opposition was.
I thought that this was how competition worked. We play our game, they play theirs. If we play our game better than they do, we win. But also sometimes if we play our game very well we put them off their game altogether, making it look like they played poorly.
I think this team has the capacity to play their own game well, as evidenced by close results, IE we played well they played a bit better. On occasion we get swamped and play badly e.g. Raiders result.
I doubt that the Raiders supporters said after that game, 'Yeah we won, but the Tigers were awful'.
Rant over.
Results are extremely subjective. You can have a game where both teams are excellent and neither deserve to lose, and you have games where one team is seriously off the boil and is rightfully beaten.

I agree, you can only play what is in front of you, but when you're beating (and being beaten by,) other teams in the bottom 8 and still cannot hold a candle to those in the top 8 you have no real cause to be excited. If we beat or play a good game against the likes of Melbourne, Cronulla, NQ & Brisbane then I will get excited (yes, aware we beat Brisbane, but both sides were crippled by Origin and injury so that's no real arbiter of where we really stand.)
Don't try to tell me awesome power can corrupt a person, you haven't enough to know what it's like; you're only angry because you wish you were in my position, you nod your head because you know that I'm right.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 9:59 am

Wasn't it Melbourne who beat us in Golden Point by a point at full strength a few weeks back who have now gone one to keep teams to blot while racking up a score themselves...off day for them I guess...

All Wests Tigers can do is just keep winning...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 10:10 am

innsaneink wrote:
Needaname wrote:Fun facts.
Since 2005.
More than 50% once in 16 years at halfawy.
No...not that bad. :|
Considering we make the finals once every five years on avg, Im not filled with confidence...shows me weve been consistently bad
we're equal 7th at the moment if you look at wins and take out parra

not too bad considering how poor some of our performances have been (especially the raiders)
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 10:17 am

Geo. wrote:Wasn't it Melbourne who beat us in Golden Point by a point at full strength a few weeks back who have now gone one to keep teams to blot while racking up a score themselves...off day for them I guess...

Yes, and it was a good game, but we haven't shown much outside of that.

One could argue that game against Melbourne was an aberration for us as much as them.
Don't try to tell me awesome power can corrupt a person, you haven't enough to know what it's like; you're only angry because you wish you were in my position, you nod your head because you know that I'm right.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 10:42 am

I think we'll finish somewhere between 9th and 12th which would be an improvement on last yr. Next yr there are zero excuses for not making the 8. I'm sure the club will agree.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 11:03 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:I think we'll finish somewhere between 9th and 12th which would be an improvement on last yr.
I think we will miss the 8 and hope we finish 9-12. It's an improvement but that's not saying very much.
GNR4LIFE wrote: Next yr there are zero excuses for not making the 8.
There is NEVER an excuse for missing out on the 8. Top 8 is bare minimum expectation and every year that we miss is another year of abject failure.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 11:08 am

Geo. wrote:Wasn't it Melbourne who beat us in Golden Point by a point at full strength a few weeks back who have now gone one to keep teams to blot while racking up a score themselves...off day for them I guess...

Yeah we're often quite good against the better teams. We could easily have beaten Melbourne in that game and we only went down to Cronulla by 8 and they sit top of the table. We beat the team Brisbane fielded on the night.

We are still terrible against teams like the Titans and Knights though. I'm more confident of us putting in a good showing against the better teams than our fellow cellar dwellers. It has long been a problem with the team and it has generally been the thing that has cost us a real run at the 8. They need to adopt a new approach to motivating the team in the weeks when we're playing matches we "should" win.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 11:20 am

From memory we competed with Melbourne in the middle, they didn't run over the top of us like the Dogs and Roosters. If we can hold our own in the middle we're half a chance. Coming off Origin, Cronk may get a rest, but that's wishful thinking.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 12:53 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:From memory we competed with Melbourne in the middle, they didn't run over the top of us like the Dogs and Roosters. If we can hold our own in the middle we're half a chance. Coming off Origin, Cronk may get a rest, but that's wishful thinking.
We have always been able to compete with Melbourne, mainly because they do not play the power game and the gorillas that some other clubs have who continue to thump us. In saying that we would be a long odds to beat them down there

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 1:06 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:

One could argue that game against Melbourne was an aberration for us as much as them.

Why the hell are you following this crap team??

:bash

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 2:18 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

Why the hell are you following this crap team??

:bash
Que...?

Lets see... Maybe because they're my team, through thick and thin? Didn't realise I had to see things through rose coloured glasses under the auspice of being a "true supporter."

Do you have an opinion or are you going to take shots from the peanut gallery like you always seem to here? How about you nail your colours to the mast if you insist on being lippy?

Fuerza en la adversidad.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 3:51 pm

bigsiro wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:I think we'll finish somewhere between 9th and 12th which would be an improvement on last yr.
I think we will miss the 8 and hope we finish 9-12. It's an improvement but that's not saying very much.
There is NEVER an excuse for missing out on the 8. Top 8 is bare minimum expectation and every year that we miss is another year of abject failure.
JT openly declared that top 8 was a pass mark LAST year (2015). I doubt he'll get another mulligan if we don't make the 8 in 2016.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 4:00 pm

ricksen wrote:
bigsiro wrote:
JT openly declared that top 8 was a pass mark LAST year (2015). I doubt he'll get another mulligan if we don't make the 8 in 2016.
If we finish anywhere between 9th and 12th, I'll bet you he does.