WESTS Tigers Team V Storm...

Carefactor

Re: WESTS Tigers Team V Storm...

Post by Carefactor » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 11:07 am

If we are now dropping wingers because of errors , why is Nofo still in the team ?

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 11:20 am

Against the Storm, goal kicking may be crucial and I think that we need two kickers in the team. Moses was woeful with the boot against Souths and we were lucky that it wasn't important. This week, if our starting goal kicker is poor, at least we have another one to turn to and that may make all the difference. I think this is the selectors' reasoning.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 11:28 am

sideline eye wrote:Against the Storm, goal kicking may be crucial and I think that we need two kickers in the team. Moses was woeful with the boot against Souths and we were lucky that it wasn't important. This week, if our starting goal kicker is poor, at least we have another one to turn to and that may make all the difference. I think this is the selectors' reasoning.
Was that the game when one hit the posts and the others went in? (or did he miss two?)
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 11:52 am

TigerWoods wrote: The only thing I can think of is that part of JAC's Storm contract is not to play against them this year, just like how Tariq Sims won't be playing against Newcastle for St George this week.

And no, Dene shouldn't be in the 17 either. I just hope there's some changes between now and then
:pray:
JAC is subject to an existing contract to play for us, he could not compromise that contract without our consent. The Tariq Sims situation is very different - that would have been a negotiated term of release.

I'm not that fussed on Dene being there, he has more utility value than any other hooking options (i.e. Cherrington or Liddle). I think we should avoid having ET at hooker if we can help it.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 11:53 am

Carefactor wrote:If we are now dropping wingers because of errors , why is Nofo still in the team ?
Fair point - he's had as many as Rankin and JAC combined (15).

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 12:45 pm

Russell wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:
Russell wrote:
pacman wrote:Rankin back in on the wing is a terrible decision. Not only is he a poor defender, he is incredibly slow, he is NOT winger at all and provides nothing in attack. For those that say "oh but goalkicking," his goalkicking record is about as bad as Moses. An absolute nothing selection. Not only this but he's been ordinary in state cup, hasn't exactly been knocking on the door. JAC dropped back to state cup few days ago was best on ground.

So what if JAC is leaving us next year. We're still a chance at the 8, so you play your best possible team. Rankin in front of JAC on the wing is madness. Goakicking isn't an excuse as Rankin is a poor goalkicker as well. I'm annoyed.
You are letting either your dislike of Rankin or your love for JAC cloud your judgement.

*Rankin is not a terrible defender - FACT. Questionable

*Has way less mistakes than JAC - FACT

*Better under the high ball than JAC in the NRL - FACT

*Can you guarantee (being a mercenary) that JAC would not help his new club if selected. Rankin won't - FACT

*Rankin will not stand in his in-goal and watch the opposition score - FACT

All in all I would say the Tigers selection committee did a good job.

*Goal kicking is a bonus
Wow, so much bias being presented as FACT.

Every statement is either wrong or highly questionable!
Balmain Boy it is only wrong in your opinion.

So you agree with Pacman that Rankin is a terrible defender obviously.
I stated a fact that he is not terrible - he is not sensational but not terrible.
If you have been watching you would see he has made less errors than JAC and has dropped less catches under the high ball - does that not constitute facts?

I'll give you the other two - Rankin won't stand in the in goal and watch the opposition score and he won't help the Storm win. However I am pretty sure that these would be correct, not a fact agreed but...

So does that make you feel better now, I hope so, wouldn't want to upset anybody over such a "talented player as JAC" - by the way, that is not fact just me being wrong again.
I don't think Rankin is a terrible defender, he's an average defender. But by implying that he's not terrible suggests that JAC is terrible, which he is not.

I would also say that Rankin has dropped more than his fair share of kicks, and considering JAC's were in atrocious weather conditions they're far more excusable. JAC has defused more kicks than any of our wingers this season.

JAC has made some errors yes, but he's young and most have been from over enthusiasm. He tries to get involved, which is more than Rankin has done from the wing. He had an off game against the Bunnies where it looked like the contract stuff had distracted him. That's was his only poor game

You're calling the kid a mercenary? lol, he took a good offer when we hadn't offered him one yet. We subsequently did.

And he has shown far more desperation in defence than Rankin has this season. Picking out an isolated incident doesn't prove a point. The same points could be made to go the other way...

And in the end JAC has scored several tries than Rankin wouldn't have, either because he's too slow, out of position or just not skillful enough. These tries have won us matches. Any coincidence we start winning games the more JAC plays?

I don't think Rankin is a bad player, but as has been stated ad nausiem, he's not a winger. SImple as that. JAC is the best winger in our top squad at the moment, and that alone should be enough reason not to drop him.

Nofo has been poor on the wing. Rankin has been average on the wing. JAC has been above average on the wing. Naiqama is a poor winger (but hasn't there much this season). We have no top wing prospects at the club in nsw cup.

People say JAC shouldn't play because he won't be there next season. But will Rankin be there in 2 seasons? Highly doubtful. He's a backup player (to a highly capable player in Teddy) and a utility, and should be used as such.

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 1:19 pm

TigerWoods wrote:Baffled by the Rankin selection over JAC. We should be playing our best 17 every week, regardless of what their contract situation is.

The only thing I can think of is that part of JAC's Storm contract is not to play against them this year,
JAC's performance against the Bunnies earned him a week off, simple as. Bombed a try and let in probably 3 more with textbook errors. I was all for keeping him in the squad regardless of next year especially after the Broncos game, but he is still very underdone.

A couple of weeks working on his reads and I hope JAC can still play a role in first grade this year. Blokes like him can win tight semi finals if you can point them in the right direction.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 1:24 pm

I'd probably pick Rankin ahead of JAC this week as well given the circumstances, especially given he'd have been playing against his future team mates.
He's a talented lad that needs some development, and I don't see why we should be doing that when another club will be the beneficiary.

That said, I can appreciate the other side of the argument as well - I'd have JAC ahead of Rankin in the pecking order comfortably, if I were picking a team in a vacuum.

barra

Post by barra » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 1:29 pm

Personally, I'd have preferred JAC over Rankin. JAC is a rookie and that inherently means he'll make rookie errors and have some bad performances among the good ones, there should be absolutely no surprises about that.

But it does depend on whether you want to risk that situation or not, and on a game-by-game basis the coach obviously doesn't want to this week.

And to be honest I find it hard to argue against his decision.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 5:47 pm

NT Tiger wrote:As a person who doesn't use emoticons can someone please explain, do three rolling smiley faces mean it's funnier than one rolling smiley face. And in terms of oneupmanship do three trump one?

Happy with the Rankin selection by the way.
NT when you have to add them in as an afterthought , I think you come of 2nd best no matter how many you use :roll :roll :roll :roll

4 of a kind beats 3 of a kind every day ;)

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 6:00 pm

hammertime wrote:Rankin does offer a few advantages over JAC

- Goal Kicking
- Versatility if 1,6 or 7 goes down.

Considering JAC dropped it with the line wide open last week, he has errors in his finishing abilities.

I'm happy with Rankin's selection.
Finally waiting for someone to bring this up.

Farah and Woods both backing up from Origin, only forwards on the bench. If there is a niggle anywhere in the backline, you want Rankin there as cover not JAC.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 6:40 pm

Russell wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
pacman wrote:We should play our best available players, regardless of where they may end up in future. We are a chance of finals this year.
I agree and I would pick JAC but Rankin hasn't been bad and JAC has some errors in him. I think it's pretty close to our best team and I don't think that spot will make a huge difference. Still JAC has the ability to win us games. I can't see Rankin doing that. It's not a terrible selection considering JAC is leaving us this year.

Steve - and JAC also has the ability to lose us games.
I also think Rankin may lose us games as well. I'm okay with the decision to choose Rankin over JAC but I'm not convinced it's dependable Rankin vs erratic JAC.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 6:44 pm

I really like the look of this side. Full strength. Can't wait to test ourselves against one the comp's benchmark teams.

Carefactor

Post by Carefactor » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 6:51 pm

Nelson wrote:
Carefactor wrote:If we are now dropping wingers because of errors , why is Nofo still in the team ?
Fair point - he's had as many as Rankin and JAC combined (15).
At least you acknowledged the point Nelson.
Unlike the many clueless keyboard coaches here !

But facts are a bit much for most .

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 9:37 pm

QLD just scored their second and I thought of this thread. See the way Cronk suckered in Jennings to open the hole for Gagai, that's what he'd do to JAC all afternoon.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 10:46 pm

I would highly doubt Farah playing now

After the knee he just took from Woods in SOO in the head , Farah was in Disneyland

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 11:48 pm

Woods did it deliberately cause he doesn't get on with Robbie.

:o

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 11:56 pm

Any flights to England before Sunday?