WESTS Tigers Team V Storm...

innsaneink

Re: WESTS Tigers Team V Storm...

Post by innsaneink » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 5:45 am

hhaahaha
edited to add smileys

coopy

Post by coopy » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 6:38 am

Sooo....it seems to me that peeps either have doubts over JAC or think his imminent departure to the Sorm should preclude him from selection and Rankin isn't really up to it but can kick.

Going off another thread, if Akila Uate was available, should he be given the gig? if he was we'd have to live with Mitch as our kicker.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 7:43 am

To the people who are saying Rankin has shown nothing this year have not be watching the same games I have. Granted he doesn't have the speed of JAC but he has a football brain and is a solid campaigner.

Once again if JAC had signed on for another couple of years I would have continued his development in the top grade because like others I agree he looks like he could be a good un,but as he didn't I would be looking at our next best option and at present that is Rankin. Okay the club probably stuffed up and it is not JAC's fault it did not sign with us but the fact remains he will not be here next year.

I am pretty sure if I went to my boss and said I am off to the opposition next year he would either say on your bike now or find me a brain dead task till I leave, he sure would not promote me.

ITs life Iam afraid

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 8:15 am

pacman wrote:Rankin back in on the wing is a terrible decision. Not only is he a poor defender, he is incredibly slow, he is NOT winger at all and provides nothing in attack. For those that say "oh but goalkicking," his goalkicking record is about as bad as Moses. An absolute nothing selection. Not only this but he's been ordinary in state cup, hasn't exactly been knocking on the door. JAC dropped back to state cup few days ago was best on ground.

So what if JAC is leaving us next year. We're still a chance at the 8, so you play your best possible team. Rankin in front of JAC on the wing is madness. Goakicking isn't an excuse as Rankin is a poor goalkicker as well. I'm annoyed.
You are letting either your dislike of Rankin or your love for JAC cloud your judgement.

*Rankin is not a terrible defender - FACT.

*Has way less mistakes than JAC - FACT

*Better under the high ball than JAC in the NRL - FACT

*Can you guarantee (being a mercenary) that JAC would not help his new club if selected. Rankin won't - FACT

*Rankin will not stand in his in-goal and watch the opposition score - FACT

All in all I would say the Tigers selection committee did a good job.

*Goal kicking is a bonus

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 8:18 am

Nelson wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:Can anyone tell me if Vunuvalu( not sure if that's how it's spelt ) is on Rankins side of the field. I think he is , but could be wrong
Vunivalu plays on the right wing (v Rankin on the left) and Koro on the left wing (v Nofo on the right).
Unfortunately that's what I originally thought .

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 8:22 am

pacman wrote:
Blaze wrote:
851 wrote:
Blaze wrote:And here they come.... Right on time.
Well why don't you enlighten us all with your prophetic wisdom why don't you.
Never said I was full of wisdom mate... Just getting sick of the whinging purely based on Taylor hatred.... The bloke had an opportunity to sign with "his beloved tigers" and he went for more cash, too bad so sad. Enjoy reserve grade and let fans watch a bloke who is committed to OUR team.... It's simple really. But really, keep whinging.... It might help change the selection.
He's been here less than a year, why should the Tigers be so beloved to him lol?

Nonetheless if another club offered you significantly more coin and first grade security (and a proven better coach/team but never mind that) why would you not go?

Guarantee end of next year we will lose 1-2 out of Woods, Tedesco, Brooks, Moses. Should we just drop them all to reserve grade now because undoubtedly at least 1-2 will leave next year because of money?

I thought so.
Are you serious - drop everybody in case they sign with someone else

He has signed - understand the statement - he has signed.

No one else HAS signed with another club so they can play.

In other words - we have a full team of players that want to play for the Tigers.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 8:33 am

lathami wrote:Interesting to see all the scarecrow lovers backing another dud selection!
JAC won us the game against the donkeys, without him we don't win that game!
He's been on the below average of late, but that just means he's due...
And by all reports Rankins been playing poor in statecup!
Yet, top call scarecrow
He should not have been dropped in the first place. Did not do anything wrong to get dropped.

JAC is a dud for us.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 8:36 am

stevetiger wrote:
pacman wrote:We should play our best available players, regardless of where they may end up in future. We are a chance of finals this year.
I agree and I would pick JAC but Rankin hasn't been bad and JAC has some errors in him. I think it's pretty close to our best team and I don't think that spot will make a huge difference. Still JAC has the ability to win us games. I can't see Rankin doing that. It's not a terrible selection considering JAC is leaving us this year.

Steve - and JAC also has the ability to lose us games.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 8:39 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Nelson wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:Can anyone tell me if Vunuvalu( not sure if that's how it's spelt ) is on Rankins side of the field. I think he is , but could be wrong
Vunivalu plays on the right wing (v Rankin on the left) and Koro on the left wing (v Nofo on the right).
Unfortunately that's what I originally thought .
As good as JAC appears to many people,he absolutely bombed a try against South's with the line wide open,watching the opposition and not the ball,rookie mistake, although many seasoned players make the same mistake under pressure,JAC is trying to prove himself NRL standard,those sort of mistakes go against you when there are people watching your every move out on the field especially when you are looking for an NRL contract...unfortunately he is still developing but Storm apparently are willing to take the punt on him..As far as Rankin goes,he is the best option for the spot at the moment and hopefully his kicking game is on song,don't forget he is being played out of position and doing a reasonable job at it,gee I would love to see him in the halves just to see what he can do in a position he has played before,but that won't happen,he proved to be a good fill in at fullback when needed,he is by no means the worst recruit or squad player we have,he is OK for mine..... :D
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Club Sandwich

Post by Club Sandwich » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 9:12 am

Baffled by the Rankin selection over JAC. We should be playing our best 17 every week, regardless of what their contract situation is.

The only thing I can think of is that part of JAC's Storm contract is not to play against them this year, just like how Tariq Sims won't be playing against Newcastle for St George this week.

And no, Dene shouldn't be in the 17 either. I just hope there's some changes between now and then
:pray:
Tigers tragic since 1980.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 9:32 am

Rankin does offer a few advantages over JAC

- Goal Kicking
- Versatility if 1,6 or 7 goes down.

Considering JAC dropped it with the line wide open last week, he has errors in his finishing abilities.

I'm happy with Rankin's selection.

Andyvee

Post by Andyvee » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 9:33 am

TigerWoods wrote:Baffled by the Rankin selection over JAC. We should be playing our best 17 every week, regardless of what their contract situation is.

The only thing I can think of is that part of JAC's Storm contract is not to play against them this year, just like how Tariq Sims won't be playing against Newcastle for St George this week.

And no, Dene shouldn't be in the 17 either. I just hope there's some changes between now and then
:pray:
I wouldn't think his current WT contract would allow the Storm to have him not play them as an option.

Regardless of his new contract, he should be playing, as he still is our best option on the wing. Storm would be loving us keeping him in cotton wool until he joins them. We should be getting our money's worth and have him play every week, if nobody else steps up.

I like Rankin. He puts in 110% every time he plays. He gets smashed more than most, but keeps motoring on. If some of our other team members put in the same effort as this guy, we would be sitting much higher on the ladder.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 9:43 am

Rankin was unlucky to be dropped in the first place, has always been one of the consistent performers. the only terrible game I recall him having was against Canberra and most of the team were absolute dross that game.

I am not upset to see him back, hopefully he brings his kicking boots this week though as his goal kicking has been average thus far. Will also be handy if one of the halves or Teddy goes down.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 9:59 am

with injuries, our other backup plans would involve Simona to FB, or probably Lawrence into the halves. While they're not terrible options, I would much prefer Rankin to slot into either.

...and while people think he is a terrible goal kicker. I thought I noticed a bit of improvement in him there before he was dropped. He certainly seems to strike the ball with a better technique than Moses. Would far prefer him taking them than mitch.

While he doesn't have the speed or strenth of JAC. He brings more reliability and versitility.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 10:18 am

He's not a terrible goal kicker, he's just average.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 10:20 am

Russell wrote:
pacman wrote:Rankin back in on the wing is a terrible decision. Not only is he a poor defender, he is incredibly slow, he is NOT winger at all and provides nothing in attack. For those that say "oh but goalkicking," his goalkicking record is about as bad as Moses. An absolute nothing selection. Not only this but he's been ordinary in state cup, hasn't exactly been knocking on the door. JAC dropped back to state cup few days ago was best on ground.

So what if JAC is leaving us next year. We're still a chance at the 8, so you play your best possible team. Rankin in front of JAC on the wing is madness. Goakicking isn't an excuse as Rankin is a poor goalkicker as well. I'm annoyed.
You are letting either your dislike of Rankin or your love for JAC cloud your judgement.

*Rankin is not a terrible defender - FACT. Questionable

*Can you guarantee (being a mercenary) that JAC would not help his new club if selected. Rankin won't - FACT

*Goal kicking is a bonus
Wow, so much bias being presented as FACT.

Every statement is either wrong or highly questionable!

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 10:28 am

They gave JAC a game against the Rabbits after knowing he signed elsewhere for 2017 so you would have to imagine the selection team have done this based on who they think will handle the job better.

Of course we will never know if they are right. One thing playing on the wing for us this season is a case of catching the ball and planting it over the line, all the hard stuff is been done by the blokes inside. One thing JAC excels in is his dirty yards taking the ball up in our own red zone, that will be missed. As I have said I would have stuck with JAC but I can see what Taylor thinks, one less inexperienced player out there against a very good football team

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 11:04 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Russell wrote:

*Rankin is not a terrible defender - FACT. Questionable

*Goal kicking is a bonus
Wow, so much bias being presented as FACT.

Every statement is either wrong or highly questionable!
Balmain Boy it is only wrong in your opinion.

So you agree with Pacman that Rankin is a terrible defender obviously.
I stated a fact that he is not terrible - he is not sensational but not terrible.
If you have been watching you would see he has made less errors than JAC and has dropped less catches under the high ball - does that not constitute facts?

I'll give you the other two - Rankin won't stand in the in goal and watch the opposition score and he won't help the Storm win. However I am pretty sure that these would be correct, not a fact agreed but...

So does that make you feel better now, I hope so, wouldn't want to upset anybody over such a "talented player as JAC" - by the way, that is not fact just me being wrong again.