Today showed me one thing - We're starting to mature

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 4837
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 77 times

Re: Today showed me one thing - We're starting to mature

Unread post by 851 » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:07 pm

Eddie wrote:I just can't agree that this team is mature. Our defence is the 2nd worse in the competition.If thta was getting better i might agree, or if we were grinding out wins against decent opposition.

We gave up a 26-0 lead threw some terrible footy. Storm were missing a couple of their spine yet we played ourselves out of the game in 20 minutes of football.

We made a big comeback, we often play our best football when out of the game. Our attacking players played some sparking football when the pressure was off. Dont get me wrong, it was exciting and showed some character to not give up. This was a big improvement, however Canbrera was a disgrace we should not be comparing anything with that and boasting too much about it.

As soon as it came back within 6 the Storm held us safely at bay as we took a few poor options.

However today showed me something different. That this team does have talent to do something however somthing is not right.I dont think where we are sitting on the ladder reflects the talent in this team.
I agree 100%, our ladder position does not reflect our talent, the comp especially around the bottom of the 8 is very poor, and we are 4 points off that, something is not right.
Go hard or go home


Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4323
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by Snake » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:12 pm

Eddie wrote:I just can't agree that this team is mature. Our defence is the 2nd worse in the competition.If thta was getting better i might agree, or if we were grinding out wins against decent opposition.

We gave up a 26-0 lead threw some terrible footy. Storm were missing a couple of their spine yet we played ourselves out of the game in 20 minutes of football.

We made a big comeback, we often play our best football when out of the game. Our attacking players played some sparking football when the pressure was off. Dont get me wrong, it was exciting and showed some character to not give up. This was a big improvement, however Canbrera was a disgrace we should not be comparing anything with that and boasting too much about it.

As soon as it came back within 6 the Storm held us safely at bay as we took a few poor options.

However today showed me something different. That this team does have talent to do something however somthing is not right.I dont think where we are sitting on the ladder reflects the talent in this team.
Well said there is something not right ,I suppose the powers to be at the club will have to sort this out...

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4240
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:13 pm

Yep all Taylors fault. He was shouting in Nofa's earbehen droppsed that sitter.

He made Moses miss that tackle on Nofo that caused the first break. He also made Moses stand in no mans land for the Storm's first try.

He also caused the refs miss the obvious forward pass and Lawrence to attempt an intercept instead of tackling his man.

Taylors influence in making immortals look like A-graders is impressive.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2234
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:13 pm

Snake wrote:All I can say is the Tigers have the second worst defence in the league to be honest this makes a mockery of Taylor's defensive statements...Whether this is a sign of a mature team ?
Have to agree taylor came to the club saying that he would "fix" the defence,this has clearly not happened.to be honest i have less confidence in our defence now than i had under sheens or potter.It is not working.the 2nd half comeback was good but it was like a half cooked meal it should have been so much better.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4323
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by Snake » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:24 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Snake wrote:All I can say is the Tigers have the second worst defence in the league to be honest this makes a mockery of Taylor's defensive statements...Whether this is a sign of a mature team ?
Have to agree taylor came to the club saying that he would "fix" the defence,this has clearly not happened.to be honest i have less confidence in our defence now than i had under sheens or potter.It is not working.the 2nd half comeback was good but it was like a half cooked meal it should have been so much better.
This alone should see Taylor shown the door at seasons end ,he has had nearly 2 years to rectify this defensive problem and if anything it is worse.


stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:25 pm

southerntiger wrote:Yep all Taylors fault.
It's not all his fault but it's obvious that he is a dud coach. He has improved this year compared to last year but it's also obvious our team is not a dud team and we can win games like today.

User avatar
Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:35 pm

851 wrote: I agree 100%, our ladder position does not reflect our talent, the comp especially around the bottom of the 8 is very poor, and we are 4 points off that, something is not right.
When people talk about our "talent", they are mostly referring to out ability to occasionally do some freakish things in attack. Unfortunately, there are other equally important skills, like winning the wrestle and playing consistently, in which we are untalented.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:38 pm

Masterton wrote:
851 wrote: I agree 100%, our ladder position does not reflect our talent, the comp especially around the bottom of the 8 is very poor, and we are 4 points off that, something is not right.
When people talk about our "talent", they are mostly referring to out ability to occasionally do some freakish things in attack. Unfortunately, there are other equally important skills, like winning the wrestle and playing consistently, in which we are untalented.
I don't see that. I see a team that can play good footy in attack and defence. We have some weaknesses but so do most teams.

I think we have a pretty good team.

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24998
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:41 pm

Talent as in the pretty, flashy stuff.
We are still not there in the tough, grinding arm wrestle stuff.

Today I was about to post at about the 10 minute mark of the game that we looked like we had some attitude in defence today, it went missing big time for half an hour, we switched off bigtime.

Mentally we still are miles off the top teams

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by TYGA » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:45 pm

innsaneink wrote:Talent as in the pretty, flashy stuff.
We are still not there in the tough, grinding arm wrestle stuff.

Today I was about to post at about the 10 minute mark of the game that we looked like we had some attitude in defence today, it went missing big time for half an hour, we switched off bigtime.

Mentally we still are miles off the top teams
We are weak minded and for mine its the coach where that stems from.
Its like Taylor went into the Storm sheds at halftime and Bellamy went into the Tigers room.

In all seriousness it seems we need to be embarrassed before we concentrate on the game.

User avatar
Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:46 pm

stevetiger wrote:
Masterton wrote:
851 wrote: I agree 100%, our ladder position does not reflect our talent, the comp especially around the bottom of the 8 is very poor, and we are 4 points off that, something is not right.
When people talk about our "talent", they are mostly referring to out ability to occasionally do some freakish things in attack. Unfortunately, there are other equally important skills, like winning the wrestle and playing consistently, in which we are untalented.
I don't see that. I see a team that can play good footy in attack and defence. We have some weaknesses but so do most teams.

I think we have a pretty good team.
Just MHO, but we have more faults than any other team bar Newcastle. They've all been discussed here before. Weak in the wrestle, lacking aggression, poor right edge defensive communication, unforced errors. Sometimes we can overcome those deficiencies with attacking brilliance, but not always.

Personally, I love supporting a team that can do anything on their day, but it doesn't win many grand finals.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6378
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 9:31 pm

We are leaking points not because our defence is crap,it's because we are not completing our sets and gifting teams possession. What were the first half possession stats,something like 63% to 37%. That is why you miss tackles and make dumb plays,it's all based on fatigue.

Till this team can play like the Storm do most weeks and play with control they will always struggle. I loved the flashy second half, but I am not sure the Storm were ever really concerned they were going to loose

User avatar
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:37 am
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 9:33 pm

Predictably this thread shows our own supporters were frothing at the prospect of us getting smashed so they could come on here and demand Taylor's sacking.

I agree with gnr, supercoach and southern etc...

To the others, congratulations on the loss. You clearly invested a lot in to this and it paid off. Even though the margin wasn't what you were hoping for, there's still a lot for you to take from the fact you didn't get the two points. Enjoy this feeling of being a miserable sod, you've earned it.

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:25 pm

851 wrote:If we had a hooker in the team we probably would have won, with ET playing 13.
We have had a hooker in the team for most of the year and lost - just give it a rest.

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:40 pm

supercoach wrote:
851 wrote:If we had a hooker in the team we probably would have won, with ET playing 13.
Agree 100%, I remember Taylor saying something along the line that you replace a player for a player who plays the same position when he first came to our club. We needed a real no9 out there and we need ET playing 1st receiver. The Storm targeted Moses all arvo and if he was second receiver he would have had more time and space to deal with the pressure.

Anyway from where I sit we did not loose any friends out there today, that was nearly as good as a win
You baffled me supercoach - I used to think you knew something about the game - if you want him at 1st recievr why not play him in the halves. I like the idea of playing him at lock where he can chime in and take the first pass - but not every time. Moses and Brooks aren't there yet but they getting there. I hate to say it because I want Robbie gone but we need a really experienced distributor who picks between Moses, Taylor and Brooks and very occasionally runs himself. Robbie is the player to do it but I don't think he wants to - he wants to run the plays he sees and over calls what the game plan is .

User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 805
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 11:11 pm

We were just appalling in the first half, looking like a schoolboy team. That was all about attitude and it's down to the players, who need to take a good hard look at themselves. In the second half, the attitude changed and then they started to play the way they have been coached.... possession and defence first and foremost. It speaks volumes that, for the whole second half, when we started to actually get some sort of order into our defence, on the back of a high completion rate, Melbourne couldn't score a try against us.

I just hope that our team has learned something from this game because it was a game we could and should have won.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 11:30 pm

Masterton wrote:
851 wrote: I agree 100%, our ladder position does not reflect our talent, the comp especially around the bottom of the 8 is very poor, and we are 4 points off that, something is not right.
When people talk about our "talent", they are mostly referring to out ability to occasionally do some freakish things in attack. Unfortunately, there are other equally important skills, like winning the wrestle and playing consistently, in which we are untalented.
Well said.
We have a really talented OzTag side.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3055
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:01 am

stryker wrote:
Masterton wrote:
851 wrote: I agree 100%, our ladder position does not reflect our talent, the comp especially around the bottom of the 8 is very poor, and we are 4 points off that, something is not right.
When people talk about our "talent", they are mostly referring to out ability to occasionally do some freakish things in attack. Unfortunately, there are other equally important skills, like winning the wrestle and playing consistently, in which we are untalented.
Well said.
We have a really talented OzTag side.
It's a very fair point and probably a big frustration for the coach. Whilst we have some great strike players, fundamentals like making your tackles, finishing a set or winning the wrestle are not done well here.

However,

I would have some more sympathy, however Taylor came in all bravado saying it was simple to fix the defence and it was all about structure not players. He bagged previous coaches and our previous style.

He put his foot in his mouth there. So I have little sympathy really.

Post Reply

Return to “Round 16: Wests Tigers vs Melbourne Storm”