Today showed me one thing - We're starting to mature

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3170
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: Today showed me one thing - We're starting to mature

Unread post by cktiger » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:23 am

old man tiger wrote:Predictably this thread shows our own supporters were frothing at the prospect of us getting smashed so they could come on here and demand Taylor's sacking.

I agree with gnr, supercoach and southern etc...

To the others, congratulations on the loss. You clearly invested a lot in to this and it paid off. Even though the margin wasn't what you were hoping for, there's still a lot for you to take from the fact you didn't get the two points. Enjoy this feeling of being a miserable sod, you've earned it.
I think most people would prefer we win.
Taylor has made some ridiculous selections and deserves to get bagged if they don't work - and praise if they do.
Unfortunately they are not working as well as he might like.


ricksen
Member
Member
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2015 9:10 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:58 am

Zero maturity on show in the first half. We competed well for 10 mins and then fell in a ridiculous heap for the rest of the half. 10-30 min mark was every bit as bad as the Canberra game, if not worse.

Of course they deserve credit for the second half effort, and the way they went about it, but it was a wasted effort really.

User avatar
stevied
Member
Member
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:45 am
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 1:52 am

I actually think we are maturing steadily but not much more than steadily! If you took out that terrible 20 minutes in the first half, we were actually quite mistake free in attack and defense. However, that flat patch decided the game and we need to learn to avoid the string of mistakes that hand possession to the opposition and make it easy for them to get the jump on us. Where we are gradually maturing is in the halves. I thought Brooks had a great game and looked he actually looked as though he wanted the ball and to run the show. That's a sure sign of maturity.

Needaname
Member
Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:02 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Needaname » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 2:33 am

I cannot believe some of the bull.. sprouted here,
By all means yes we can attack it is / was good to see, there is and never was an issue in our attack, The issue is our composure and consistancy.
You talk about defence, how much better was it in the second half when we completed 11/11 sets and had even share of possession by the end of the match. We missed 23 tackles in the whole match I'm not sure about the halftime misses but i would say we were pretty close to perfect in defence in the second half.
As far as maturing we are getting closer, but until the team plays composed we are not going to win these matches.
Had we scored one more try after that field goal then yes i'd say we're are staring to maturing but as soon as the game was in reach we dropped our bundle, but to fair to the guys, they got that close by playing add lib and hail Mary plays, they just needed to start to compose their plays in the end and build pressure to force Melbourne into a mistake instead they went for the trick play. But hard to do against Melbourne.
So close really but so far also, as soon as Melbourne knew that the game was getting out of hand they got the control back. A sign of a mature team is one that doesn't panick.
Yes moses rushed out and made a bad read twice in that game that lead to trys, but did you also see how many one on one tackles he made effectively by doing exactly that?
The team has confidence in itself which is great to see for such a young team.
They need more time together, I would of loved them to win that game, but I never expected it, the halftime score was pretty close to the full time score I predicted. And before you say I'm a bad fan for having such low expectations for my team. It's fricken Melbourne in Melbourne. Im just a realist. The team is building for something, the balance is there, the coaching is fine, the senior players are fine, everything is just right, they just need more football in them for before we start to see them compete on a consistent basis, be patient it will come!

User avatar
wd in perth
Member
Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by wd in perth » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 3:19 am

First half aside, I thought that there were a couple of turning points in the second half. We really looked like we were coming to get them with ten to go but Brooks got impatient and tried a 10m no look flick pass on the 4th tackle in traffic, Aloiai gave away a penalty as well when we had them pinned up there close to their line and they were deadset buggered I thought. Just some patience and common sense could have had us in for another try. 10 minutes is plenty of time when you're on top. We really could have done it but it wasn't to be. If you look at the type of tries scored, one of theirs was a forward pass, and one was off a dropped ball. a couple were from appalling defence on our part. They got some luck. Our tries were all fantastic. They (I think) kicked all their goal attempts and we missed 3. Not that it matters, but we had to be almost perfect to beat them and we weren't anywhere near that and yet still came close. Things aren't as bad as some make out. The first half was appalling, yeah, no arguments, but the bigger picture is what really matters long term I think. When we finally click on a regular and consistent basis, we'll be flying. I just wish it would happen sooner rather than later.


User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 4895
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 3:31 am

I'm not really sure what to make of it. We got absolutely steamrolled by Canberra. First half of today had the hallmarks of that game and I feared us coming out too recklessly and gifting Melbourne more opportunities.

Similarly we played such a poor match against Roosters just a few weeks ago - and the Chooks are struggling to match most other teams.

Proud of the second half in and of itself, but honestly sick of gifting teams like Melbourne two points because we can't put together two halves of footy.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 1895
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Telltails » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 7:05 am

4 -1 penalties at one stage in the first half combined with error after error and. 30% -70% possession and couple of dud calls one that resulted in six points - could have easily been another Canberra result
I didn't expect them to level it at four tries a piece and strangely was not that down about losing.
Almost 're -signed to the fact that this competition
favours the front runners - see it week in and week out
and there is really not a lot you can do about it. In
saying that Melbourne are also a better team than us -
but in the tight ones the better teams just seem to get
the 50/50 calls. Cronulla classic example.
Great effort in the second half by our team - but will
be surprised if we move too much further up the
ladder this year - and not sure you can blame either Farah or Taylor for that.

User avatar
westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: with Daffy Duck, having fun
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 7:41 am

Simply can't give teams a very good lead, and expect to run it down.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold



" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5462
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 8:05 am

southerntiger wrote:Yep all Taylors fault. He was shouting in Nofa's earbehen droppsed that sitter.

He made Moses miss that tackle on Nofo that caused the first break. He also made Moses stand in no mans land for the Storm's first try.

He also caused the refs miss the obvious forward pass and Lawrence to attempt an intercept instead of tackling his man.

Taylors influence in making immortals look like A-graders is impressive.

A big part of Taylors job is to put a team on the field that is ready to play,
That failed miserably yesterday,
Yep, the players made the mistakes but Taylors responsibility is to have them ready to play. His selections certainly played a part in the first half results.
Gifting the Storm two sets because of a backrowers bad dummy half work for instance.
Is thanks to Taylor.
Rankin would have handled dummy half better.
No critism of ET meant, with a half decent coach, he wouldn't have been there.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5462
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 8:40 am

old man tiger wrote:Predictably this thread shows our own supporters were frothing at the prospect of us getting smashed so they could come on here and demand Taylor's sacking.

I agree with gnr, supercoach and southern etc...

To the others, congratulations on the loss. You clearly invested a lot in to this and it paid off. Even though the margin wasn't what you were hoping for, there's still a lot for you to take from the fact you didn't get the two points. Enjoy this feeling of being a miserable sod, you've earned it.
Very unlikely that anyone wanted a loss, but I for one am over the s##t selections , the coaches favourites, and the non existing game plans as well as the lack of accountability for bad performances from players for their continual ordinary performances.

This team isn't maturing , in fact some in the team including the coach, have been going off for a while now.
We get excited about a good half, that's all it takes
I admit , I started cheering during the second half yesterday, but what's it mean,
With a few exceptions, this team is , and probably hardly ever has been , capable of 80 minutes of real effort.
The 2005 final and GF was two of the few times where we have actually played
Great football for a whole game, there's probably been more, but I can't remember many.
Even in the last couple of seasons , we have had games where we were world beaters in one half and had 30 points peeled off us in one half e.g. against Canberra last year, The Dogs last yr. , Yesterday.
Weve got the potential to blow teams off the park, but then , mostly get blown off the park ourselves( or vice versa, as in a Warriors game in Auckland a couple of seasons back, where we won a game with 10 minutes of football
We accept that and that's our problem, we need a Coach who won't accept that.
.The problem is that the CurrentCoach is a big part of our problem

What this post shows OMT is that you think 40 minutes is enough
Last edited by goldcoast tiger on Wed 29 Jun, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6453
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:59 am

diedpretty wrote:
supercoach wrote:
851 wrote:If we had a hooker in the team we probably would have won, with ET playing 13.
Agree 100%, I remember Taylor saying something along the line that you replace a player for a player who plays the same position when he first came to our club. We needed a real no9 out there and we need ET playing 1st receiver. The Storm targeted Moses all arvo and if he was second receiver he would have had more time and space to deal with the pressure.

Anyway from where I sit we did not loose any friends out there today, that was nearly as good as a win
You baffled me supercoach - I used to think you knew something about the game - if you want him at 1st recievr why not play him in the halves. I like the idea of playing him at lock where he can chime in and take the first pass - but not every time. Moses and Brooks aren't there yet but they getting there. I hate to say it because I want Robbie gone but we need a really experienced distributor who picks between Moses, Taylor and Brooks and very occasionally runs himself. Robbie is the player to do it but I don't think he wants to - he wants to run the plays he sees and over calls what the game plan is .

What I want is Taylor playing lock and being able to play 1st receiver, not every play but it than gives us some variety and takes some pressure off the dynamic duo. I also want a real dummy half, Farah,Cherrington or Liddle, a player who can throw a pass and a player who instinctively knows the numbers and what direction to go. Okay yesterday with Deano getting concussed all the plans went out the window, but if it was my call I would have had a real no9 in the mix

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:12 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
supercoach wrote:We lost the game between about the ten and thirty minute mark, we had no ball, we made school boy errors and took some dumb options, not many teams could turn a game around like we did today
I think the turning point was the poor kick that lead to the Storms first try. We did a great job early repelling them off our line, and we just completed a set on halfway, and instead of driving it into the corner to play field position, we put up a terrible bomb and Koro cut us to pieces.
I thought the same .
That was the kick which brooks should've took but he passed it to Moses ( they panicked )
Like so many plays that break down for us, one of the halves continues with the pre-called play rather than look up to see what the best option is half-way through.

In this case Brooks obviously should have kicked instead of passing.

Then it was Moses' turn to do the same, went through with the pass to Tedesco that clearly was not on, Teddy tried to change direction while catching the ball and slips, Koro snaps it up and once again results in a big turnaround.

Until our halves can stop making these dumb decisions, we will continue to lose games that we could otherwise win.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3281
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:53 pm

A lot has been said about selections for this game. We really do not know the full story sitting on the sidelines. Just making a couple of points (blame who you like, JT, O'Neill, selection committee) that may have been or may not have been the reasoning.

* Farah (with a knock in SOO) was not fit to play.
* Liddle is not ready for first grade this year.
* Second tier salary cap placing limitations on using Cherrington.
* Cherrington's form bordering on less than ordinary (by all reports).
* Ballin out for the rest of the season.

Using this reasoning, it leaves Halatau as the hooker (I'm led to believe was not 100%) who would not last 80 minutes. Therefore we need a second hooker - the only other choice to my mind was ET. Unfortunately Halatau got concussed and that left ET holding the bag. If we had used an 'out of form' Cherrington, that is pretty hopeless in defence trying to plug the middle with the Storm's big forwards coming through it may have been 40 at half time.

Under the circumstances I think it was a good decision gone wrong because of injury.

As for Rankin - that choice I was happy with.

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 1:55 pm

wd in perth wrote:First half aside, I thought that there were a couple of turning points in the second half. We really looked like we were coming to get them with ten to go but Brooks got impatient and tried a 10m no look flick pass on the 4th tackle in traffic, Aloiai gave away a penalty as well when we had them pinned up there close to their line and they were deadset buggered I thought. Just some patience and common sense could have had us in for another try. 10 minutes is plenty of time when you're on top. We really could have done it but it wasn't to be. If you look at the type of tries scored, one of theirs was a forward pass, and one was off a dropped ball. a couple were from appalling defence on our part. They got some luck. Our tries were all fantastic. They (I think) kicked all their goal attempts and we missed 3. Not that it matters, but we had to be almost perfect to beat them and we weren't anywhere near that and yet still came close. Things aren't as bad as some make out. The first half was appalling, yeah, no arguments, but the bigger picture is what really matters long term I think. When we finally click on a regular and consistent basis, we'll be flying. I just wish it would happen sooner rather than later.
WD I get what you are saying mate, and do agree to a point.

But for how long do we keep giving the young players more time, or saying "we're almost there".

Losing a close game is not a tragedy but allowing the same mistakes to keep causing those losses over the course of a year, or two years, is pretty tragic must be addressed.

User avatar
wd in perth
Member
Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by wd in perth » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 2:36 pm

barra wrote:
wd in perth wrote:First half aside, I thought that there were a couple of turning points in the second half. We really looked like we were coming to get them with ten to go but Brooks got impatient and tried a 10m no look flick pass on the 4th tackle in traffic, Aloiai gave away a penalty as well when we had them pinned up there close to their line and they were deadset buggered I thought. Just some patience and common sense could have had us in for another try. 10 minutes is plenty of time when you're on top. We really could have done it but it wasn't to be. If you look at the type of tries scored, one of theirs was a forward pass, and one was off a dropped ball. a couple were from appalling defence on our part. They got some luck. Our tries were all fantastic. They (I think) kicked all their goal attempts and we missed 3. Not that it matters, but we had to be almost perfect to beat them and we weren't anywhere near that and yet still came close. Things aren't as bad as some make out. The first half was appalling, yeah, no arguments, but the bigger picture is what really matters long term I think. When we finally click on a regular and consistent basis, we'll be flying. I just wish it would happen sooner rather than later.
WD I get what you are saying mate, and do agree to a point.

But for how long do we keep giving the young players more time, or saying "we're almost there".

Losing a close game is not a tragedy but allowing the same mistakes to keep causing those losses over the course of a year, or two years, is pretty tragic must be addressed.
I know mate. Its painfully slow but if the club decides to go with these guys, then I guess there's no option but to hang in there. I'd rather the players were held accountable than sack the coach. We simply can't turn over coaches every 18 months or whenever we feel as a lot both here and elsewhere seem to think we should. The mess that began with previous management isn't a quick fix - obviously.
Ive said before, my preference would be to see Brooks dropped and promoted based on his form. It's unfortunate that most feel that's not possible due to his price tag. I say it's no different. Performance based opportunity for first grade.

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 1727
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 2:44 pm

Spot on SuperCoach, u ain't gonna beat anyone with 37% of the ball, all the other issues stem from this. Doesn't matter if you are coached by Bennett Gibson and Bellamy with a team of superstars you can't compete at this level...simple as that

eyewonder
Member
Member
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue 08 Mar, 2011 5:02 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by eyewonder » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 4:08 pm

forum users know more about playing football than i do.i have never played the game

but it seems illogical to take away a strength of a team taylor ball player,support player and put him at hooker.dumb.
we couldnt get any possession in the first half- three mistakes,melbourne kept rolling through us and the game gone.

ad another thing- how could not one tigers player figure in the dally m's.
not cricket- gary belcher.

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 4948
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm
Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by 851 » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 5:07 pm

supercoach wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
supercoach wrote:
851 wrote:If we had a hooker in the team we probably would have won, with ET playing 13.
Agree 100%, I remember Taylor saying something along the line that you replace a player for a player who plays the same position when he first came to our club. We needed a real no9 out there and we need ET playing 1st receiver. The Storm targeted Moses all arvo and if he was second receiver he would have had more time and space to deal with the pressure.

Anyway from where I sit we did not loose any friends out there today, that was nearly as good as a win
You baffled me supercoach - I used to think you knew something about the game - if you want him at 1st recievr why not play him in the halves. I like the idea of playing him at lock where he can chime in and take the first pass - but not every time. Moses and Brooks aren't there yet but they getting there. I hate to say it because I want Robbie gone but we need a really experienced distributor who picks between Moses, Taylor and Brooks and very occasionally runs himself. Robbie is the player to do it but I don't think he wants to - he wants to run the plays he sees and over calls what the game plan is .

What I want is Taylor playing lock and being able to play 1st receiver, not every play but it than gives us some variety and takes some pressure off the dynamic duo. I also want a real dummy half, Farah,Cherrington or Liddle, a player who can throw a pass and a player who instinctively knows the numbers and what direction to go. Okay yesterday with Deano getting concussed all the plans went out the window, but if it was my call I would have had a real no9 in the mix
That is my take on yesterday and moving forward also, but according to a couple of forum members if I say this I get the old "give it a rest" or "let it go" or "get over it".
Go hard or go home

Post Reply

Return to “Round 16: Wests Tigers vs Melbourne Storm”