Today showed me one thing - We're starting to mature

Mac tiger

Re: Today showed me one thing - We're starting to mature

Post by Mac tiger » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 7:19 pm

Russell wrote:A lot has been said about selections for this game. We really do not know the full story sitting on the sidelines. Just making a couple of points (blame who you like, JT, O'Neill, selection committee) that may have been or may not have been the reasoning.

* Farah (with a knock in SOO) was not fit to play.
* Liddle is not ready for first grade this year.
* Second tier salary cap placing limitations on using Cherrington.
* Cherrington's form bordering on less than ordinary (by all reports).
* Ballin out for the rest of the season.

Using this reasoning, it leaves Halatau as the hooker (I'm led to believe was not 100%) who would not last 80 minutes. Therefore we need a second hooker - the only other choice to my mind was ET. Unfortunately Halatau got concussed and that left ET holding the bag. If we had used an 'out of form' Cherrington, that is pretty hopeless in defence trying to plug the middle with the Storm's big forwards coming through it may have been 40 at half time.

Under the circumstances I think it was a good decision gone wrong because of injury.

As for Rankin - that choice I was happy with.
Thanks Russell for a very sensible post.

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 7:24 pm

supercoach wrote:We are leaking points not because our defence is crap,it's because we are not completing our sets and gifting teams possession. What were the first half possession stats,something like 63% to 37%. That is why you miss tackles and make dumb plays,it's all based on fatigue.

Till this team can play like the Storm do most weeks and play with control they will always struggle. I loved the flashy second half, but I am not sure the Storm were ever really concerned they were going to loose
Absolutely. You see this week in week out in the NRL - possession is everything - without it you are at the mercy of fatigue, your small blokes being worked over and penalties. I'm confident our guys will learn that stuff as they get older and wiser.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 8:14 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Yep all Taylors fault. He was shouting in Nofa's earbehen droppsed that sitter.

He made Moses miss that tackle on Nofo that caused the first break. He also made Moses stand in no mans land for the Storm's first try.

He also caused the refs miss the obvious forward pass and Lawrence to attempt an intercept instead of tackling his man.

Taylors influence in making immortals look like A-graders is impressive.

A big part of Taylors job is to put a team on the field that is ready to play,
That failed miserably yesterday,
Yep, the players made the mistakes but Taylors responsibility is to have them ready to play. His selections certainly played a part in the first half results.
Gifting the Storm two sets because of a backrowers bad dummy half work for instance.
Is thanks to Taylor.
Rankin would have handled dummy half better.
No critism of ET meant, with a half decent coach, he wouldn't have been there.
Ha Ha Ha. Post of the year. Nofa dropped the ball, the ref missed a blatant forward pass and Moses made a horrible decision in defence, all because ET was in dummy half. Love it.
'

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 10:05 pm

southerntiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Yep all Taylors fault. He was shouting in Nofa's earbehen droppsed that sitter.

He made Moses miss that tackle on Nofo that caused the first break. He also made Moses stand in no mans land for the Storm's first try.

He also caused the refs miss the obvious forward pass and Lawrence to attempt an intercept instead of tackling his man.

Yep, the players made the mistakes but Taylors responsibility is to have them ready to play. His selections certainly played a part in the first half results.
Gifting the Storm two sets because of a backrowers bad dummy half work for instance.
Is thanks to Taylor.
Ha Ha Ha. Post of the year. Nofa dropped the ball, the ref missed a blatant forward pass and Moses made a horrible decision in defence, all because ET was in dummy half. Love it.

'
Can you tell me where I said that, I merely pointed out that ET was terrible at DH, and gave away two sets because of some terrible passes from there,
Someone needs glasses.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 10:19 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

Is thanks to Taylor.

'
Can you tell me where I said that, I merely pointed out that ET was terrible at DH, and gave away two sets because of some terrible passes from there,
Someone needs glasses.
You said that the reason the players played badly was because ET was in dummy half. Gee we must have players with the mental fortitude of a 2 years old (in fact we probably do).

ET started off badly but actually warmed to the DH role in the second half. Towards the end of the same his service was quite good.

It had nothing to do with ET or JT, the players simply ballsed it up in the first half and the coaching staff righted the ship at half time.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 7:22 am

southerntiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

Is thanks to Taylor.

'
Someone needs glasses.
You said that the reason the players played badly was because ET was in dummy half. Gee we must have players with the mental fortitude of a 2 years old (in fact we probably do).

ET started off badly but actually warmed to the DH role in the second half. Towards the end of the same his service was quite good.

It had nothing to do with ET or JT, the players simply ballsed it up in the first half and the coaching staff righted the ship at half time.
Everyone played their part in the first half balls uo. ET and JT included.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 9:59 am

supercoach wrote:
851 wrote:If we had a hooker in the team we probably would have won, with ET playing 13.
Agree 100%, I remember Taylor saying something along the line that you replace a player for a player who plays the same position when he first came to our club. We needed a real no9 out there and we need ET playing 1st receiver. The Storm targeted Moses all arvo and if he was second receiver he would have had more time and space to deal with the pressure.

Anyway from where I sit we did not loose any friends out there today, that was nearly as good as a win
SC, if you think that perfomance was nearly as good as a win, then we are seriously in trouble. The first 40 was absolute rubbish. The second half was exciting to watch, but they still couldn't get there. "Nearly as good as a win" to me, is when our team can play for 80mins with pride and effort, not just playing catchup footy for 40mins. :(

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:25 am

Tigermama wrote:
supercoach wrote:
851 wrote:If we had a hooker in the team we probably would have won, with ET playing 13.
Agree 100%, I remember Taylor saying something along the line that you replace a player for a player who plays the same position when he first came to our club. We needed a real no9 out there and we need ET playing 1st receiver. The Storm targeted Moses all arvo and if he was second receiver he would have had more time and space to deal with the pressure.

Anyway from where I sit we did not loose any friends out there today, that was nearly as good as a win
SC, if you think that perfomance was nearly as good as a win, then we are seriously in trouble. The first 40 was absolute rubbish. The second half was exciting to watch, but they still couldn't get there. "Nearly as good as a win" to me, is when our team can play for 80mins with pride and effort, not just playing catchup footy for 40mins. :(
Yeah it was like the old week after the bye demons hit for the first 25 minutes

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:26 am

jadtiger wrote:
Snake wrote:All I can say is the Tigers have the second worst defence in the league to be honest this makes a mockery of Taylor's defensive statements...Whether this is a sign of a mature team ?
Have to agree taylor came to the club saying that he would "fix" the defence,this has clearly not happened.to be honest i have less confidence in our defence now than i had under sheens or potter.It is not working.the 2nd half comeback was good but it was like a half cooked meal it should have been so much better.
A "Half cooked meal" is never appetizing, i agree. :lol: Your description sums up it up perfectly Jad.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:30 am

Masterton wrote:
851 wrote: I agree 100%, our ladder position does not reflect our talent, the comp especially around the bottom of the 8 is very poor, and we are 4 points off that, something is not right.
When people talk about our "talent", they are mostly referring to out ability to occasionally do some freakish things in attack. Unfortunately, there are other equally important skills, like winning the wrestle and playing consistently, in which we are untalented.
Spot on Masterdon. Well said.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:57 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tigermama wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Yeah it was like the old week after the bye demons hit for the first 25 minutes[/quote...

Yes, can't recall WT winning many games after a bye Happy. :(

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 11:26 am

Tigermama wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Tigermama, waiting for the tigers to put 80 minutes together is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt to return. Your right the first half was abysmal,but it was stupid errors and a bad call,what they showed is with 50% of the ball they are dangerous and with 60% of the ball they are unstoppable. You have to remember we had 37% of the ball in the 1st half.

If we can keep this side together we should a very good side running around in 2017 and beyond

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 2:09 pm

supercoach wrote:
Tigermama wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Tigermama, waiting for the tigers to put 80 minutes together is like leaving the porch light on for Harold Holt to return. Your right the first half was abysmal,but it was stupid errors and a bad call,what they showed is with 50% of the ball they are dangerous and with 60% of the ball they are unstoppable. You have to remember we had 37% of the ball in the 1st half.

If we can keep this side together we should a very good side running around in 2017 and beyond

Well let's hope 2017, is the start of us rising above the waves and finally becoming the champion team we all like us to be, instead of continuing to drown in defeat SC, ;)

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 2:31 pm

Tigermama,the game against the Storm in the first half was well and truly below NRL standard,our TALENTED team must learn to play a grinding 80 minutes of football,complete their sets,win the middle and try not to play the flashy game..when they did get it together they found giving a huge start to a well disciplined team to much to overcome...I hope they learnt a lot out of that game,because in my opinion the team should have won that game,they had Melb on the back foot a heap of times and made rookie mistakes and gave away silly penalties,without these they could have quite easily accounted for the Storm....
Bring on the Panthers and see if they have learnt from the previous week... :)
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 3:08 pm

TrueTiger wrote:Tigermama,the game against the Storm in the first half was well and truly below NRL standard,our TALENTED team must learn to play a grinding 80 minutes of football,complete their sets,win the middle and try not to play the flashy game..when they did get it together they found giving a huge start to a well disciplined team to much to overcome...I hope they learnt a lot out of that game,because in my opinion the team should have won that game,they had Melb on the back foot a heap of times and made rookie mistakes and gave away silly penalties,without these they could have quite easily accounted for the Storm....

It was not the flashy plays that in the first half that caused the problems, it was basic skills. The D/H throwing two forward passes,kick off going out on the full and Nofo dropping a sitter of a kick return just to name a few things that sit in my brain. It is all about doing the little things right, good sides make these basic mistakes once a month we make them ten times a game.

Although these mistakes are what I base my optimism on. We are pushing and beating the odd good side by playing some good football mixed with a lot of crap, when the day comes when we are playing mainly good football we will push this comp way into September... and I think it is not far away

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 3:46 pm

TrueTiger wrote:Tigermama,the game against the Storm in the first half was well and truly below NRL standard,our TALENTED team must learn to play a grinding 80 minutes of football,complete their sets,win the middle and try not to play the flashy game..when they did get it together they found giving a huge start to a well disciplined team to much to overcome...I hope they learnt a lot out of that game,because in my opinion the team should have won that game,they had Melb on the back foot a heap of times and made rookie mistakes and gave away silly penalties,without these they could have quite easily accounted for the Storm....
I dont know if its true as I hadnt counted them , But i heard on the radio yesterday, that we had 9 penalties in a row(for us)
Does anyone know if that was right or not,
It seemed that we had a lot near the Storm's 20 metre line

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 4:03 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
I dont know if its true as I hadnt counted them , But i heard on the radio yesterday, that we had 9 penalties in a row(for us)
Does anyone know if that was right or not,
It seemed that we had a lot near the Storm's 20 metre line
we had 7 all up, so very doubtful

probably heard em wrong and they said 'no penalties in a row'
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 4:24 pm

southerntiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

'
Someone needs glasses.

'[Gifting the Storm two sets because of a backrowers bad dummy half work for instance.
Is thanks to Taylor.
Rankin would have handled dummy half better."
Thats what I said,
I never said that Taylor was to blame for everything that happened it was an example of the bad decisionto use our best attack forward there.