Chris Lawrence

Harvey

Chris Lawrence

Post by Harvey » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 7:35 pm

Early in the season I was singing his praises as a backrower, and thought that he would improve and be a top rate 2nd rower. Lately though I am getting worried about his defence and technique. I keep noticing missed tackles, or him laying in the ruck (and being out of the line) after he makes a tackle. I am trying to work out if the fault lies with him, or he is getting caught out trying to cover some of the teams weaker defenders. I remember a couple of the Melbourne forwards going straight through attempted tackles today, and him stuggling to stop others close to the line. Have just extended him for another 3 years, I would suggest that he is going to need to do some work on his defence.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 7:38 pm

I'd like to know where his step has gone ?
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 7:42 pm

I watch Chris play and think he has 3 more seasons ..well the previous administrations have a lot to answer for.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 7:49 pm

I think he is a lot like Robbie in that he isn't worth what we are paying him but you may as well use him because he is still a decent first grader.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 7:51 pm

Needs a rest I think. First full season in the pack and he is playing 80. Harsh.

batboy

Post by batboy » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 7:52 pm

Queue Gunners with the old "Pride of the Club" "100% footballer" "Playing fantastic in the back row"
lines...

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 7:55 pm

MacDougall wrote:Needs a rest I think. First full season in the pack and he is playing 80. Harsh.

He's wearing a lot of hospital passes and crap inside balls and getting bashed for the privilege
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:01 pm

Snake wrote:I watch Chris play and think he has 3 more seasons ..well the previous administrations have a lot to answer for.
I agree, and am not sure whether he should be expectec to be an 80min player at this stage. A lot of it does seem to be fatigue

Club Sandwich

Post by Club Sandwich » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 8:56 pm

Yep, he's just knackered.
We shouldn't have extended him for 3 years. Should have been 1 at most and re-evaluate from there. I predict he could end up leaving early for ESL or an ambassador/behind the scenes role.
Stick a fork in him.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 9:04 pm

I said month ago 3 years was a year or two too long for a player with his history.

He is 27 but has the body of a 33 year old. He has been in the NRL for over a decade now and taken plenty of hits.

I think he has done pretty well this year,and he deserves credit. Its not easy adapting to the rough and tumble of the forwards in the NRL. My point is with his body it would be a year to year proposition about extending him.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 9:20 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:
MacDougall wrote:Needs a rest I think. First full season in the pack and he is playing 80. Harsh.

He's wearing a lot of hospital passes and crap inside balls and getting bashed for the privilege

I agree. Can't fault his effort but I think a couple of weeks off the bench or at least give him a breather each game will help. Although we did just come off the bye.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 9:42 pm

Chris is a good second rower and he'd be really effective in a side like Melbourne tbh. He's great for us when we're winning the go forward battle as he gets to the defensive line really quickly because he still has a fair level of speed, especially for a backrower. On a retreating defensive line his speed causes problems. But when we're getting pushed back he's not helpful at all. I admire that he still takes hard carries though. The boy is all heart. He's going to be a huge success after football in business land imo.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:07 pm

He has a lot to work on defensively. Linespeed, first contact, wrestle etc are all pretty poor for a starting NRL edge forward.
He runs good lines and work rate is generally pretty good in attack, but we need more from a guy playing 80 mins every week.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:19 pm

He's playing tough, but he also looks like he's carrying a few niggles. Watch him closely next time he plays the ball, he has an awkward manner in getting to his feet and playing the ball, like he's lost some mobility. Doesn't look natural and it looks like it hurts.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:22 pm

willow wrote:He's playing tough, but he also looks like he's carrying a few niggles. Watch him closely next time he plays the ball, he has an awkward manner in getting to his feet and playing the ball, like he's lost some mobility. Doesn't look natural and it looks like it hurts.
That's because he's just been belted in the tackle .
He needs to find his lost footwork he once had .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Sun 26 Jun, 2016 11:19 pm

Harvey wrote:
Snake wrote:I watch Chris play and think he has 3 more seasons ..well the previous administrations have a lot to answer for.
I agree, and am not sure whether he should be expectec to be an 80min player at this stage. A lot of it does seem to be fatigue
Well, when you only get 37% possession in the first half against Melbourne, of course he'd be knackered. They are a big side and trying to stop them when they have all the ball is nigh on impossible. Chris will be OK and is OK when we value possession.

stevied

Post by stevied » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 2:23 am

Without sounding too critical, because I think Lovett can be put in the same category, Lawrence really does lack penetration in most of his hit ups. I don't think he ever had much of a step, even when he was in the backs and totally relied on his speed. Now he doesn't have the same speed, or a lot of size for a forward, he struggles to break a tackle. However, I'm a big fan of his for his effort and commitment.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 3:28 am

I'm surprised so many here are agreeing with the OP. He does little for me in the team at all. I think he should be one that has to earn his place and perhaps should switch between firsts and reggies to keep him on his toes, fresh and to create competition. But I respect the fact that he's giving his all and is prepared to work. not everyone is a superstar and we certainly can't afford to buy any.