Tigers look to stop Penrith offloads

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Re: Tigers look to stop Penrith offloads

Unread post by stryker » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 12:00 am

Their offloads... which we allowed FAR too many of...created at least half a dozen try scoring opportunities that were thwarted through a mixture of their lack of execution and our second phase scramble.

I still see no improvement in defensive structure.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 8:25 am

stryker wrote:I still see no improvement in defensive structure.
I said this from another side and some peeps got all upset. We are winning games based on our attack. I also think it's unreasonable to expect to win games solely on your defence. You need to work on both sides of the game.

Juro
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Juro » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 9:41 am

It seemed to me that many of their offloads came at the tail end of the game, when they were getting desperate. Despite the lopsided possession, we did well to contain them defensively. Scrambling defence certainly worked well.
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 10:50 am

Man for man the Panthers are a much bigger side than us. Bigger, stronger and with longer arms. Makes it much easier for them to offload and harder for us to contain them. We can't always stop them from offloading, but we can maintain a structure which means the player receiving the ball has nowhere to go...

We are probably the smallest side in the NRL. Sometimes size does matter.

Return to “Round 17: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”