Tedesco firms for Blues selection

willow

Post by willow » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 9:20 am

Sat 02 Jul, 2016, 10:54pm
By Martin Gabor‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

As the nation nervously watched on to see who will lead Australia for the next three years, the night's other big question appears to have a more definitive answer.

Saturday evening's clash between the Wests Tigers and Penrith Panthers was billed as a potential showdown between rival fullbacks James Tedesco and Matt Moylan to decide once and for all who should wear the No.1 jersey for the NSW Blues.

As his side ran out 34-26 victors, it was Tedesco who emerged as the prime candidate to be his state's No.1 with another mesmerising display of attacking brilliance.

The 23-year-old had a quiet start to the game but exploded into life after 23 minutes when he got on the outside of fellow Origin hopeful Bryce Cartwright to send Tim Simona over for the Tigers' first try.

It was a case of déjà vu in the opening stages of the second stanza as the livewire fullback once again left the Panthers five-eighth in his wake as he sent Jordan Rankin over in the corner.

Tedesco finished the night with two try assists, two line breaks, six tackle breaks and 133 running metres to outpoint his main rival in virtually every key area.

His performance continued what has been a stellar 2016 that has yielded 11 tries and just as many assists, as well as a whopping 81 tackle breaks from just 13 appearances.

Tigers coach Jason Taylor said Tedesco's form "speaks for itself" and reaffirmed his support for his fullback to don a blue jersey for Game III of the Holden State of Origin series.

"He doesn't need me pushing his barrow anymore. It's clear," Taylor said.

"You only have to watch that game. He's a class act and he deserves to be in the NSW team, in my opinion."

Taylor had a pretty clear message to selectors when asked whether he thought Tedesco should play on the wing.

"That would be a silly decision in my opinion," he said.

Moving Tedesco to the flank would mean incumbent fullback Matt Moylan would retain his spot in the starting side after wearing the No.1 jersey for the first two games.

Tigers skipper and Blues prop Aaron Woods endorsed his teammate for an Origin debut, but said he could see the two fullbacks coexisting in the same side.

"I don't see why not," Woods replied when asked about the prospect of both Moylan and Tedesco lining up for NSW.

"The way Teddy's playing is unbelievable. He's been great for us all year and I know he'll do a fantastic job for NSW if they pick him.

"He's done himself no harm today with the way he's played. The way he started the season, probably the only reason he wasn't there was because he was injured at the start. He's come back with a really good attitude and he's been making a massive difference to our squad since he's been back.

"At the end of the day, Laurie (Blues coach Laurie Daley) is the coach and my say doesn't mean anything."

If Tigers forward Ava Seumanufagai was coach of the Blues, he would pick his teammate in a heartbeat.

Speaking to NRL.com after Saturday's eight-point win, the Tigers prop said the "crazy fast" fullback would give the Blues the attacking spark they've so desperately been chasing in recent years.

"He's just got the X-factor that other guys don't have," Seumanufagai said.

"He's got the ability to break through the lines when you need something and he creates opportunities when nothing's doing so I think he'd be a great addition to the Blues."

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 9:26 am

Tedesco may have pushed his own SOO chances but he buried Cartwright's , that for sure

They really targeted him defensively and he got found out big time

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:15 am

So what happens when Teddy gets the call up?

Simona to FB and JAC comes in ?
Rankin to FB ?
Hunt to FB if fit ?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:20 am

happy tiger wrote:Tedesco may have pushed his own SOO chances but he buried Cartwright's , that for sure

Definately. There were concerns about his defence before last night's game . He no chance now.
Teddy simply can't be overlooked now. He's put himself in the team

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:24 am

If Daley picks Teddy on the wing he has rocks in his head!...

Why does Daley have such an affixiation with Moylan?...especially when Teddy was going to be first choice fullback....for game 1

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:32 am

Fixation??

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:36 am

tigerap wrote:If Daley picks Teddy on the wing he has rocks in his head!...

Why does Daley have such an affixiation with Moylan?...especially when Teddy was going to be first choice fullback....for game 1
If Teddy wasnt injured he would have been there game 1
Moylan got picked but he didnt do much wrong game 1 and 2 and i think Daley feels pressured by loyalty.
He needs to know he has to be ruthless to deliver results not be a pussy to swing the axe so he can then pick the better PERFORMING player

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:50 am

That and the Blues flat out need more spark in attack!

willow

Post by willow » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 11:08 am

If Daley picks Teddy on the wing I'd be inclined to withdraw from the team to be honest. It will be a complete waste of Teddy's talent.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 11:15 am

Daleys not that stupid is he? No one is that stupid.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 11:28 am

gallagher wrote:Daleys not that stupid is he? No one is that stupid.
Well he is pretty close.
Seriously, if he picks Tedesco on the wing they should flick him (and tell him to take Bozo with him).

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 11:52 am

Didn't see yesterdays game but the Telegraph were leaving no doubt that he should be in the team at fullback. But the SMH were more reserved in their assesment, not sure why, as he's a mile ahead of Moylan in that position.
I still have a feeling that Moylan is a bit over rated.

ryanda01

Post by ryanda01 » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 11:55 am

Love the WestsTigers wrote:So what happens when Teddy gets the call up?

Simona to FB and JAC comes in ?
Rankin to FB ?
Hunt to FB if fit ?
Thought Rankin was good at FB when Teddy was injured and believed we won that game. Also that's his preferred position. Me thinks that would be the answer. But not counting the chickens before they hatch. Wait till Teddy gets the nod first.

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 12:09 pm

willow wrote:If Daley picks Teddy on the wing I'd be inclined to withdraw from the team to be honest. It will be a complete waste of Teddy's talent.
x2 he needs to be able to play his natural game or it will be pointless having him there

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 12:52 pm

happy tiger wrote:Tedesco may have pushed his own SOO chances but he buried Cartwright's , that for sure

Cartwright is going to get found out constantly if they continue to play him at 6. Bad decision by Griffen amongst many this year.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 12:54 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 301329e232

DT reporting Bozo is quitting. Things are looking up.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:07 pm

Teddy in, Walker out and Moylan to the bench (because there's no way they'll drop him outright)

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:11 pm

Personally, I would hate to see him get picked. Risking injury on a dead rubber, what's the point? They should scrap these dead rubber games I reckon. A win wont alter the fact that the Blues stuffed up again.
But yeah, on form, he's the best fullback at the moment