Defence won us the game: Taylor

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 30428
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

Defence won us the game: Taylor

Unread post by willow » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 9:23 am

Defence won us the game: Taylor
Sun 03 Jul, 2016, 8:34am
By Martin Gabor‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor has credited his side's resolve in defence for their crucial 34-26 win over the Penrith Panthers on Saturday night.

A quick glance at the final score doesn't do the Tigers' defence any justice as the black and golds repeatedly held out their higher-ranked opponents before conceding two tries in the final few minutes.

The Tigers made more tackles, had less possession and received fewer penalties but that didn't stop them for registering their seventh win of the season to move within two points of the top eight.

Their desperation and scramble without the ball didn't just stifle Penrith's options in attack; it also led to points at the other end with two goal-line interceptions in the first half resulting in tries.

"We won the game with our defence," the proud Tigers coach said after the game.

"Penrith had a lot of sets at our line. They had something like 27 plays in our 20 [metre zone] compared to us having eight in theirs.

"We won the game because we defended that really well. We got some points that we needed, but it was about defence and we're really pleased with that.

"After 20 minutes, they'd had 70 per cent of the possession and we'd had 30. That slowly came back our way from that point but the game still finished at a point where they had 56 per cent of possession and we had 44 per cent.

"We got two penalties to eight and they just had so much footy, and we just defended and defended and defended, and it was really impressive."

Taylor acknowledged the importance of last week's fightback against the Melbourne Storm as the confidence boost his side needed to win a game he thinks they would have lost 12 months ago.

The Tigers trailed 26-0 at the break at AAMI Park last Sunday before limiting their opponents to just three points in the second half.

"I think it's a game we probably would have lost not that long ago," he said.

"We've been working really hard on it; we're making great improvements.

"Our defensive approach last week in Melbourne – albeit they got those four tries really early – we took a lot of encouragement out of that. We were really excited about how we did that and it was there again tonight.

"There's some real positivity around the way the guys are defending and it's great progress for us as a club."

Tigers prop Ava Seumanufagai told NRL.com that Saturday's win could prove crucial in the side's hunt for a spot in this year's finals series.

Like his coach, the Tigers prop said defence was the biggest thing to take out of the contest; especially their ability to handle Penrith's 25 offloads.

"I think they're the top offloaders in the competition so we did a lot of video on that throughout the week," the try-scoring front-rower said.

"That was something we needed to work on and I think the boys did really well tonight to stay committed up in the line.

"It's a really close competition this year so any two competition points we can get are crucial. It's important that we set ourselves up for the back end of the year because it's anyone's game once you make the eight."


Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 9:45 am

Its a bit of a stretch to say defence won us that game when we needed to score 6 tries to get the win.
26 is still not a great score to conceed.

However the refs were doing everything possible to get Penrith over the line it seemed tonight. I reckon the possession split was close to 60% for them for the game. We did defend our line a number of times in multiple sets so there was some improvement on show there.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 9:47 am

Taylor did not state that after 20 mins he brought Farah on .........

and Brookes could have been down at the RSL
Last edited by Byron Bay Fan on Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 9:50 am

Typical stupid Taylor comments. There is some truth there in that our defence was great. We won though because we played some great attacking footy and really gave it a shot.

Defence is important but it's obvious that when we attack we are a quality footy team.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36308
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 9:54 am

stevetiger wrote:Typical stupid Taylor comments. There is some truth there in that our defence was great. We won though because we played some great attacking footy and really gave it a shot.

Defence is important but it's obvious that when we attack we are a quality footy team.
And how would we attacked if our defence didn't create so many turnovers

Pease don't take this the wrong way Steve , but at first I thought you were just stirring the pot , now I just think you lack a clue


User avatar
notarealtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed 12 Aug, 2015 7:24 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by notarealtiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:01 am

Ya know, normally I don't agree with Taylor, but this time I think he's right. Granted, I only caught that second half when we already had a good lead and never lost it. Even still, Penrith got all the penalties and had tons of field position, and the players just kept turning up and making a lot of cover tackles. Then we cut em to bits with a couple of extra tries, before the boys clocked off and let a few bad ones in.

Looking at the field after the game was over all I saw were WT players too tired to walk. You certainly can't question the effort.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3279
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:02 am

stevetiger wrote:Typical stupid Taylor comments. There is some truth there in that our defence was great. We won though because we played some great attacking footy and really gave it a shot.

Defence is important but it's obvious that when we attack we are a quality footy team.

Doesn't matter what he says with you Steve - he is stupid.

He wouldn't know what won us the game - he is only the coach.

Yet, you say it was the attack - For the life of me I can't figure out why you are not our coach - you obviously know more than stupid Taylor - well in your mind anyway.

User avatar
MacDougall
Member
Member
Posts: 8006
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 4:03 am
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:04 am

He is bang on.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:08 am

happy tiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:Typical stupid Taylor comments. There is some truth there in that our defence was great. We won though because we played some great attacking footy and really gave it a shot.

Defence is important but it's obvious that when we attack we are a quality footy team.
And how would we attacked if our defence didn't create so many turnovers

Pease don't take this the wrong way Steve , but at first I thought you were just stirring the pot , now I just think you lack a clue
I like Steve. He has an opinion. I agree with very little of them but at least they are well formed. Once again I dont agree with what he says here but lacking a clue is a bit harsh.

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:08 am

Russell wrote:
stevetiger wrote:Typical stupid Taylor comments. There is some truth there in that our defence was great. We won though because we played some great attacking footy and really gave it a shot.

Defence is important but it's obvious that when we attack we are a quality footy team.

Doesn't matter what he says with you Steve - he is stupid.

He wouldn't know what won us the game - he is only the coach.

Yet, you say it was the attack - For the life of me I can't figure out why you are not our coach - you obviously know more than stupid Taylor - well in your mind anyway.
You just came up with a great idea. You should raise this with the team. If I was the coach we would be unstoppable.

It's obvious now how important it is for us to get our attack firing. Of course if winning games doesn't matter to you all that matters is defence.

I thought our defence was great last night. I was impressed. The key difference though when we win games is that we attack. Taylor should be given credit for our attack being a lot better. I am not one of Taylors minions who agree with everything he says even when what he says is stupid.

It was a great win last night. Let's be honest about why it happened though. Our defence was great as it needs to be. Our attack was also great. The balance was right where it should be. Well done to Taylor, the coaching staff and the players.

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25340
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:09 am

Usual suspects spewing the same garbage here

I love the fact our D seems to be improving, JT is cooking up a lot of egg for a lot of people

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25340
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:13 am

southerntiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:Typical stupid Taylor comments. There is some truth there in that our defence was great. We won though because we played some great attacking footy and really gave it a shot.

Defence is important but it's obvious that when we attack we are a quality footy team.
And how would we attacked if our defence didn't create so many turnovers

Pease don't take this the wrong way Steve , but at first I thought you were just stirring the pot , now I just think you lack a clue
I like Steve. He has an opinion. I agree with very little of them but at least they are well formed. Once again I dont agree with what he says here but lacking a clue is a bit harsh.

If by well formed you mean his fence sitting each way bet stance, where he has a. Little bit of either side so he can point and cry......"....but I did give him credit.... " (while bagging the crap out of him in the same post)

Lol

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18810
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:15 am

Anyone who doesn't think defence won us that game has their eyes painted on. We conceded 2 tries in the last 5 minutes, so what? One was off the worst forward pass in the games 108 yr history. I shook my head when we let those 2 tries on, purely because i knew the desperados on here who'll look for anything to complain about, would be complaining about the last 5 minutes. And i wasn't wrong.
Last edited by GNR4LIFE on Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25340
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:16 am

I thought our defence was great last night. I was impressed. The key difference though when we win games is that we attack
Mastercoach.... So when we win it's because we attack?
Yep.... Brilliant
Never seen a team score 0 and win
... I think you're on to something

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:16 am

Looked to me like our defensive structure was as bad as usual but the boys really scrambled well and put in for each other.
Penrith had us done plenty of times but either butchered it completely or gave us a second chance to come at them (which we did well)
Our attack is just about the best in the competition when on song.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3898
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:19 am

Of course Taylor deserves some credit but surely Farah deserves to retain his no. 9 guernsey, there is no real competition for the spot. And Brookes is missing in action on this board as well.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4065
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:24 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:Of course Taylor deserves some credit but surely Farah deserves to retain his no. 9 guernsey, there is no real competition for the spot. And Brookes is missing in action on this board as well.
Farah off the bench is working very well.
If you were interested in the team winning you'd see this.

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 7001
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 97 times

Unread post by hobbo » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:26 am

I thought on our line we defended well .
But...we always struggle shutting down the oppositions offloads and second phase plays ...
Resulting in poor scramble defense .
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

Post Reply

Return to “Round 17: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”