Defence won us the game: Taylor

User avatar
Love the WestsTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 3095
Joined: Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:03 pm
Location: Ex Ctown Resident Now Qlander
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Defence won us the game: Taylor

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:32 pm

I think we really need to make an effort to improve our points Diff
Those kicks we miss after tries can help each time

Suspect the -/+ will play a part in separating teams from making the top 8

8. Warriors 16 8 0 8 1 363 379 -16 5 - 3 3-5 18

9. Panthers 15 7 0 8 2 313 333 -20 4 - 3 3-5 18

10. Dragons 15 8 0 7 1 209 304 -95 6 - 1 2-6 18

11. Titans 16 7 0 9 1 335 358 -23 4 - 4 3-5 16

12. W/Tigers 16 7 0 9 329 406 -77 5 - 4 2-5 16


larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by larrycorowa » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:41 pm

Steve....I read all your posts..... But I gotta say it's hard to take any of your posts seriously after this clanger.

coopy
Member
Member
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat 23 Apr, 2011 6:13 pm

Unread post by coopy » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:50 pm

JT said D won the game, not so sure about that. The Panther's handling and execution left lots to be desired. Regardless of us being in their faces. They hold the ball and I think they get up.

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 1721
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by larrycorowa » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:55 pm

Some on here have a problem with Taylor trying to fix our teams defensive structure ahead of attack. Firstly the statistics are undeniable.....virtually the best defensive teams share the competition between themselves each year....it's like arguing against fluoride in the water and vaccinations.

But it's not just nrl where this mindset works and much of its pyhscological. I read the Steve Waugh book and one if the things I remember from it is that it was not until he had a proper defensive technique that he forged his career in cricket. Basically he went from a flasher to someone who could dig in behind his defence for long periods until he was confident to start playing his shots. same with Ponting.....if he got to 20 in periods through his career you weren't going to get him out and he demoralised the opposition because they thought that as well.

Anyway just an analogy to help people understand.

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25020
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 136 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 1:55 pm

coopy wrote:JT said D won the game, not so sure about that. The Panther's handling and execution left lots to be desired. Regardless of us being in their faces. They hold the ball and I think they get up.
Oh....so its REGARDLESS of us being in their faces, they still dropped the ball?
When we cant hold the ball its what costs us the game, but when our opposition do it, its "if they hold it they win"
:bash
Unbelievable


happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 35889
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 2:01 pm

innsaneink wrote:
coopy wrote:JT said D won the game, not so sure about that. The Panther's handling and execution left lots to be desired. Regardless of us being in their faces. They hold the ball and I think they get up.
Oh....so its REGARDLESS of us being in their faces, they still dropped the ball?
When we cant hold the ball its what costs us the game, but when our opposition do it, its "if they hold it they win"
:bash
Unbelievable
Cmon Coopy , how many turnovers did our defence create , must of been close to double figures

Our defence still isn't great but it is definitely moving in right direction and can improve a hell of a lot more

People need to at least give Taylor and the players credit for that :deadhorse:

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by TYGA » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 3:59 pm

It was a massive win considering possession 58% Panthers vs Tigers 42%, Penalties 8 -2 in favour of the Panthers and also a dubious try for the Panthers. Penrith were bad but I loved the way we punished them by scoring at almost every opportunity. We rushed up and created intercept opportunities and dropped balls. They scored in garbage time 74th and 78th minutes and Nofo was impeded on their second try from a bomb. The scoreline was flattering to the Panthers to be honest. Great performance.

magpiecol
Member
Member
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:02 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 4:15 pm

:roll
Tigerdon wrote:
gallagher wrote:
cktiger wrote:
gallagher wrote: Farah off the bench is working very well.
If you were interested in the team winning you'd see this.
If you were interested in the team winning by more or not have to chase a lead you might want him on for the 80.
We are a far better team when he is on the paddock.
I don't think Farah has quality 80 mins in him. His performances off the bench has vindicated Taylor's decision.
Only Farah's staunchest supporters don't see it.
....and NSW selectors

That would be the losing NSW selectors?

:roll

magpiecol
Member
Member
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:02 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 4:18 pm

TYGA wrote:It was a massive win considering possession 58% Panthers vs Tigers 42%, Penalties 8 -2 in favour of the Panthers and also a dubious try for the Panthers. Penrith were bad but I loved the way we punished them by scoring at almost every opportunity. We rushed up and created intercept opportunities and dropped balls. They scored in garbage time 74th and 78th minutes and Nofo was impeded on their second try from a bomb. The scoreline was flattering to the Panthers to be honest. Great performance.


Don't forget the best forward pass in history!!!!


:brick:

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by TYGA » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 4:24 pm

magpiecol wrote:
TYGA wrote:It was a massive win considering possession 58% Panthers vs Tigers 42%, Penalties 8 -2 in favour of the Panthers and also a dubious try for the Panthers. Penrith were bad but I loved the way we punished them by scoring at almost every opportunity. We rushed up and created intercept opportunities and dropped balls. They scored in garbage time 74th and 78th minutes and Nofo was impeded on their second try from a bomb. The scoreline was flattering to the Panthers to be honest. Great performance.


Don't forget the best forward pass in history!!!!


:brick:
Very true. We get the rough end of the pineapple quite often.

User avatar
Tbone
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1052
Joined: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:07 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Tbone » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 4:59 pm

I thought defence was a 4 in backyard cricket. :?

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3055
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 5:16 pm

cktiger wrote:Looked to me like our defensive structure was as bad as usual but the boys really scrambled well and put in for each other.
Penrith had us done plenty of times but either butchered it completely or gave us a second chance to come at them (which we did well)
Our attack is just about the best in the competition when on song.
Be careful Sensible analysis will be pounced on on here.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 6:27 pm

The true emotions of the team showed when Robbie scored that try - they were all around him congratulating and happy, lays to rest a lot of the silly comments about him and the rest of the team.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Post Reply

Return to “Round 17: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”