Moses - "There's a new-found confidence"

stevetiger

Re: Moses - "There's a new-found confidence"

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 8:10 am

NT Tiger wrote:Is that a whiff of team spirit? Cohesion! I like that word.
How long has this forum been calling for leadership on the field? Great to see one of the future leaders talking up team confidence.
I think the team sounds like they are really pulling together and Woods to me is showing great leadership. I think he has supported Robbie but still said to the guys we need to stick together on the field and win games. Robbie being there or not being there does not impact the team playing to the best of their ability.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 8:10 am

And mentioned he's still running around at about 81kg. His game has already improved but if he packs on more for next season, can only see him getting better, handling opponents even more easily.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 9:51 am

Moses has always going to be a star.
I've said since before he even played first grade he would be a champion and, with luck from the injury gods, he could end up being a very special player.
Apart from him we've got so much talent in this team it's not funny.
These young guys were always going to take time to get consistency into their games - and they're nearly there.
I don't think you can say Taylor has done anything to make them better but the fact is they are gaining experience every week by playing.
Oddly enough it was Farah who pushed Moses case to play first grade before Taylor even considered him.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:01 am

cktiger wrote: Oddly enough it was Farah who pushed Moses case to play first grade before Taylor even considered him.
Potter was coach at the time.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:32 am

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
cktiger wrote: Oddly enough it was Farah who pushed Moses case to play first grade before Taylor even considered him.
Potter was coach at the time.
Haha

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:46 am

cktiger wrote:Moses has always going to be a star.
I've said since before he even played first grade he would be a champion and, with luck from the injury gods, he could end up being a very special player.
These young guys were always going to take time to get consistency into their games - and they're nearly there.
I don't think you can say Taylor has done anything to make them better but the fact is they are gaining experience every week by playing.
Oddly enough it was Farah who pushed Moses case to play first grade before Taylor even considered him.
Could you not concede;
that the way Taylor has structured the team game plan since he started as coach, has helped them gain that experience.
Starting with basic tactics originally, with an effort to gradually expose the game and place more control in the younger players hands, has enabled them to improve their game management, making them more confident and capable of playing consistent and controlled football over the course of their first grade career.
I would think thats something you could say Taylor has done to make them better.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:20 am

Needaname wrote:
Could you not concede;
that the way Taylor has structured the team game plan since he started as coach, has helped them gain that experience.
Starting with basic tactics originally, with an effort to gradually expose the game and place more control in the younger players hands, has enabled them to improve their game management, making them more confident and capable of playing consistent and controlled football over the course of their first grade career.
I would think thats something you could say Taylor has done to make them better.
So, what you're saying is he took them backwards to help them go forward?
Who will ever really know.
All I can add is that both halves were dominant as attacking weapons their entire junior careers.
We are still only seeing glimpses of it.

Post by 2041 » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:34 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
wd in perth wrote:
Regan wrote:
wd in perth wrote:His form lately has been fantastic. Especially against the dragons. I wonder if JTs cohesion theory has merit? Anyway, he's going to have to get even better if we're to get into the finals this season. On a side note, Brooks is looking better too.

Maybe the coach knows more about the team then the fans
Now that's crazy talk.
I will only be convinced when we pass over the easy peasy teams and are playing the leaders at full strength. We are now in a late Indian Summer phrase and soon we will be humming that song There aren't no sunshine anymore
I hate to be a gloom monger but I think you're right here. Let's look at the recent run (which isn't only three defeats out of 10 as the article says, it's four defeats out of 10):
- Beat Souths, who I don't think have won since.
- Absolutely hammered by the Dogs.
- Beat the Knights, unconvincingly.
- One point win over the origin-affected Broncos (who have also been crap since).
- Dismal defeat to the Roosters.
- Beat Souths (see above).
- Creditable second half but still defeated by the Storm.
- Beat the Panthers.
- Lost to the Bulldogs, albeit with origin hurting us.
- Beat the Dragons, who are dreadful.

Really the only good win in that lot is against the Panthers, and even they did their best to lose. The Broncos was a decent one I guess, albeit with both teams missing origin players, and probably the next best performance was the second half against the Storm.

Ok, I'lkl certainly accept that in the Potter/early JT era we could have lost three or four more but I'm also not going to acclaim this as a turnaround until we put a good win or two on a genuine contender.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:42 am

2041 I agree that recent form can be misconstrued and in reality we aren't exactly setting the world on fire.
Having said that, I don't think anyone here is saying we are premiership contenders yet....just that there is greater team cohesion.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 11:58 am

We have a tonne of talent right now. Stepping up to first grade though is always an issue.

I don't know if any coach can help with the step up though and our young players still have to make a lot more progress if we are going to be a gun club.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 12:02 pm

cktiger wrote:
Needaname wrote:
Could you not concede;
All I can add is that both halves were dominant as attacking weapons their entire junior careers.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 12:03 pm

Needaname wrote:
cktiger wrote:
Needaname wrote:
Could you not concede;
te="cktiger"]
Needaname wrote:
Could you not concede;
We are still only seeing glimpses of it.[/quote]

Essentially 1 step back for 2 steps forward. Although I'd admit it looked more like 2 steps back with 1 step forward last year.
They were dominant attacking players they were picking holes in the defence at will I remember watching them dominate for example both under 20's origin games they were in.
But the NRL is a different game.
20's players play against the same side 2 years in a row, after that a new team comes in, players can dominate because they are playing against their comparative opponents.
In the NRL those players have to evolve over a 10 year career, whilst playing against players that have had the chance to improve their games over those 10 years.
They are both different players to a Nathan Cleary or Ash Taylor who have grown up controlling games playing with a more composed mindset.
Our halves are instinctive players, which sets them aside from the above and makes them more valuable to a team especially when they develop the skills to game manage.
Think of Thurston as oppose to Cronk. One's Solid and dependable the other is a Superstar!

It's not just a case of the halves either. The other players in the team are playing with more confidence, offloads are back and they are becoming more timely and effective.

Despite what everyone believes with our defence in stats and numbers, I believe we have a more cohesive unit in total, our stats may be worse than last year, but our attitude and communication is improving. The biggest issue is how compressed we play on our goal line, but I'm guess that is a risk the coaching staff is taking to protect the middle and risk the chance of a try being scored out wide.
Was very impressed with the defence on the weekend in that final 20 mins when fatigued, the guys were really talking and sliding together, hanging tight and playing as one. The dragons didn't throw alot of angles at them, but they still threw alot of bodies at them and they handled it for the most part.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 12:05 pm

2041 couldn't have said it better myself.

If anything where we sit on the ladder I think we are just better than the bad lot around us.

We are 2 points from the 8 which is great but seriously we have won 8 Games and lost 10.

Bring back the Top 5 as it's an embarrassment to the League IMO teams limping in.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 1:16 pm

cktiger wrote:I don't think you can say Taylor has done anything to make them better.
How about the fact we haven't conceded a single big lead we've gotten out to this yr. Warriors, Manly, Souths temwice, Penrith, Dragons. All games we could have lost last yr. We conceded them last yr. None this yr. So that right there is something that's improved.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 1:19 pm

foreveratiger wrote:2041 couldn't have said it better myself.

If anything where we sit on the ladder I think we are just better than the bad lot around us.

We are 2 points from the 8 which is great but seriously we have won 8 Games and lost 10.

Bring back the Top 5 as it's an embarrassment to the League IMO teams limping in.
If we make the 8, we won't have limped in.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 1:39 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:2041 couldn't have said it better myself.

If we make the 8, we won't have limped in.
I agree with this. If we make the 8 we are going to gun it in or at least I hope that is the case.

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 1:43 pm

The amount of times he said "the vibe" gave me a giggle. Reminded me of Dennis Denuto in The Castle.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 1:47 pm

Mabo!
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...