Retro round

Patts

Retro round

Post by Patts » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 7:26 pm

Does anybody know what jerseys Wests are wearing this weekend?

Craegus

Post by Craegus » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 8:19 pm

Patts wrote:Does anybody know what jerseys Wests are wearing this weekend?
Normal ones. Retro Round is only a Fox Sports promotion (their people and possibly graphics will be retro), it has nothing to do with the NRL or AFL teams.

Patts

Post by Patts » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 8:37 pm

Craegus wrote:
Patts wrote:Does anybody know what jerseys Wests are wearing this weekend?
Normal ones. Retro Round is only a Fox Sports promotion (their people and possibly graphics will be retro), it has nothing to do with the NRL or AFL teams.
Thanks mate

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 8:49 pm

We might have our no12 playing hooker this week. That would fit in with retro.

Milky

Post by Milky » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:43 pm

Did we miss heritage round this year? Should have been kept for that

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 1:20 am

How good is the old footage that is getting airplay on Fox Retro Round this week! Watched the 1995 prelim final between Manly and Newcastle when it was replayed during the week......geez that was when footy was bloody fantastic! Chief and Butterfield taking on Spud, Cement Gillespie and Ian Roberts the hits were phenomenal and the whole game itself had so much character and unpredictability about it.
Then I had the misfortune of watching the first 2 games of this weekend's footy: what a bloody snorefest. Sanitised beyond belief and basically soulless.
Can't wait for Fox to have their dedicated 24/7 rugby league channel next year with all the replays of old matches, the old games from 20 or so years ago leave today's rubbish for dead. Dread to think what it will be like in another 20 years.

VonMiller58

Post by VonMiller58 » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 2:09 am

Fade To Black wrote:How good is the old footage that is getting airplay on Fox Retro Round this week! Watched the 1995 prelim final between Manly and Newcastle when it was replayed during the week......geez that was when footy was bloody fantastic! Chief and Butterfield taking on Spud, Cement Gillespie and Ian Roberts the hits were phenomenal and the whole game itself had so much character and unpredictability about it.
Then I had the misfortune of watching the first 2 games of this weekend's footy: what a bloody snorefest. Sanitised beyond belief and basically soulless.
Can't wait for Fox to have their dedicated 24/7 rugby league channel next year with all the replays of old matches, the old games from 20 or so years ago leave today's rubbish for dead. Dread to think what it will be like in another 20 years.

So true. As I write this I am watching Rocky IV on the other side of the world on local T.V. and it just makes me think of a time when players truly were working class heroes of the people just Like Rocky Balboa. Your heroes were like extended members of the family.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:17 am

Yes, the game was better then than now in my opinion. The whole mentality of the need to speed up the game has backfired. We just slow it all down in the wrestle, and to review and be certain that we decide on the wrong call. That's right...the wrong call. Bring back the 5m rule, the scrum contest and one ref. And please..get rid of the bunker and video review decisions.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:46 am

I thought I'd share this article I'm reading that was in the Telegraph yesterday in the League Central section that interviewed Terry Regan about the old days, since it's Retro Round.
Mods feel free to take out my disguise swearing but it's word for word how it's written in the paper.

It goes like this.....

THE GOOD OLD DAZE

Meet Terry Regan, a tough guy who sank his teeth into Rugby League and King Wally.

Terry Regan is gnawing on a folded, white beer coaster.
"Aaaaaarn ", the old leaguie growls, teeth tearing into the small, cardboard square.
indents forming. Tiny shreds, tearing. Even the schooners on our table rattling until, finally, this 58 year old larrikin removes said coaster from his mouth, surveys the carnage and laughs: Yep, that's exactly what the forehead of Wally Lewis looked like. "
Ladies and gentlemen, please meet the original Reg Reagan.
A genuine Winfield Cup tough who, apart from inspiring the TV character made famous by Mathew Johns, also bit faces, punched nuts and spent years toiling through bush clubs like Bathurst Railway, Cobar Roosters, even the Hillston Bluebirds.
Yes, Regan chomped on King Wally.
Just as he warred with Rod Reddy, busted Colin Scott and kneed Lord Ted Goodwin so hard in the dusters, well, the Dragons great fronted for beers afterwards in a wheelchair - a towel covering his groin because pants were no longer an option.
And now, in Fox Sports ' Retro Round, this undeniable cult figure for Balmain, the Roosters and Canberra is revealing all.
Over beers at his Central Coast local, the Settlers Arms Tavern, explaining a Career which sparked that " Bring back the Biff " phenomenon.

Mate, first off, why bite the immortal, King Wally?
" Simple, he was holding me down in a tackle. Trying to get a penalty. I'd told him to f...off but then he pulled my guernsey down a second time. And my face, it was resting on his forehead. "

So you bit him?
"Yeah. Same with another idiot who put his hand in my mouth. I got suspended but appealed. Even brought a cattledog to the judiciary. "

A cattledog?
" it was muzzled, of course. I had this doctor explaining how, if you stick a finger in somebody's mouth, the natural reaction is to clamp down. Then the doc points to our cattledog and says: ' I'm going to open his mouth, who wants to prove it isn't true? "

Did you get off?
" Nah, still got two weeks. Couldn't believe it. I mean, if I bit him on the arse or tit, yeah, that would be ridiculous. "

But you got 13 weeks for biting Parramatta's Glen Mansfield on the chest?
"Good reason for that one. Minutes earlier, my knee went in a tackle. That's why Mansfield ran at me, he knew i was busted. Anyway, we jammed him and, forcing him into touch, my knee got caught again, twisted and I clamped down in reaction to the pain. Truly. It even took a fortnight to get from Canberra for the judiciary hearing because I couldn't fly or get into a car. "

Where was your playing style born?
"My second game in Sydney, against St.George. That game i had my eyes gouged, ears fingered, chest punched, hand trodden on - and all by Rod Reddy, before half-time. Second half, got it all again plus a bonus nut squeeze. Rocket taught me the rules - there were none. "

And your response?
"Wait. First tackle of our next game, I came in with a low, swinging arm. Crunch. Nuts. Rocket got up, patted my head and said, Son, your learning ".

Your reputation grew quickly from there, right?
"Our great supporter at Balmain, Laurie Nichols, had a rhyme for everyone. Pearce, he's fierce. Beetson, eats em. Mine was: Regan leaves ' em bleedin '. One game, I've hit Dean Lance and nearly severed his tongue. Blood everywhere. And there's Laurie running up the sideline screaming: ' Regan leaves ' em bleedin '. Afterwards, I said, ' Loz, I'm having enough trouble out there. Can you think of something nicer? "

How many times were you sent off?
"Lost count ".

Is it true you decked a referee?
"Not on the paddock. And not decked. A ref was carrying on at the Pub once and I swung around holding four beers, he fell. "

Thoughts on Reg Reagan?
"Maybe it's based loosely on me. Others, too. The Johns boys, they were kids when their dad Gary coached me at Cessnock. So they saw what I was like. "

Ever avoid a stink?
" Playing for Hull, we got fined 50 quid for fighting. So against Halifax, this brawl erupts and our Captain Gary Divorty is on the ground, seemingly out cold. I bolt over and say ' Gaz, what happened? ' He opens one eye and says ' f.....off Rego, I'm not getting fined 50 quid again '.

What did you do?
" Laid down beside him. Grabbed his hand too and said ' I love you, Gaz. All while he's screaming at me to f....off. "

Your greatest hit?
"First tackle of our '84 Panasonic Cup game, Roosters versus Combined Brisbane.
Beforehand, I'd had a double nip of brandy. Then seven painkillers needed into my sternum. So when Brisbane ran out, every Rooster was in a huddle but me. I'm over by the sideline, screaming about how I'm gunna rip their f....en throats out ".

And the first tackle....
"We kicked off, I charged downfield and Colin Scott, who received, stepped straight into me. I dropped my shoulder, broke his collarbone. Almost snapped his Jaw, too. Our prop Royce Ayliffe tried to move me away. I said, ' Roycie, this is my kill, I'm staying. "

Other victims?
" Kneed Teddy Goodwin in the balls. Total accident, though. Afterwards, he came to the pub in a wheelchair. They'd had to cut his shorts and Speedos off, leaving only a towel over his lap. As I walked over to give him a beer, Teddy lifted that towel to reveal a set of purple nuts rounder than this schooner glass. "

Great memories, huh?
" Aim up or get found out. That's just how it was. As forwards, you'd go looking for the weak link. It might take 5 minutes, 20 minutes, whatever. But when you found him, yeah... A hunting we will go ".
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 5:29 pm

The this was a funny pick of Terry Regan :lol:
Attachments
13875063_10155068311459392_1555862416_n.jpg
13875063_10155068311459392_1555862416_n.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 662 times
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 5:40 pm

Speaking of the Panasonic Cup, I'm surprised there isn't more of a clamour to move to four quarters - more ad breaks for one thing.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 6:20 pm

foreveratiger wrote:The this was a funny pick of Terry Regan :lol:
Funny?

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 6:26 pm

innsaneink wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:The this was a funny pick of Terry Regan :lol:
Funny?
Cigarette in his hand .