Grinding out a win

stevetiger

Re: Grinding out a win

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:58 pm

southerntiger wrote:Like you Im not convinced it was necessary but I must say Moses and (to a lesser extent) Brooks look far more complete footballers than 12 months ago.
Honestly I think it was so dumb it isn't funny and one of the reasons we are winning more games is because that style of play has disappeared. I think that if anything that style of play halted these guys learning process.

I do give JT credit though for dropping that style of footy.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:01 pm

stevetiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Like you Im not convinced it was necessary but I must say Moses and (to a lesser extent) Brooks look far more complete footballers than 12 months ago.
Honestly I think it was so dumb it isn't funny and one of the reasons we are winning more games is because that style of play has disappeared. I think that if anything that style of play halted these guys learning process.

It hasn't stopped. Thats what your missing. We now revert to it depending upon how the game is flowing. We no longer rely on momentum and trick shots to win us games.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:04 pm

southerntiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:

It hasn't stopped. Thats what your missing. We now revert to it depending upon how the game is flowing. We no longer rely on momentum and trick shots to win us games.
I never thought we relied on trick shots. I think playing attacking footy is a skill.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:05 pm

stevetiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:

I never thought we relied on trick shots. I think playing attacking footy is a skill.
We definitely did and when they didnt work, our game fell apart.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:06 pm

I don't agree. I thought we were to tentative and allowed Parramatta to stay in the game. We were playing against an Eels outfit with Foran, Norman, Radradra, Ma'u, Scott, Jennings, Peats and Paulo out of the lineup. This is following up from beating a dreadful STGI. Our form has dropped off from beating the Panthers & Rabbits a month or so ago and we need to sort out the hooker. But a win is a win.

Farah's days are gone but if he goes down injured surely Lidlle or Cherro can play hooker.
Halatau is good for about 25 minutes.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:09 pm

NT Tiger wrote:Yes Taylorball was dumb from the perspective of winning each game. I saw it as lessons in game control for young halves, and I stated that at the time. From my perspective, those lessons are now paying off. Call it a mistake if you choose. I don't think so.
Like developing players, it was and is all about developing a team and an attitude, in its beginnings it's not pretty..... But the attitude and maturity in our young players has grown immensely. It's so much more than results, it's an on field culture.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:13 pm

innsaneink wrote:
NT Tiger wrote:Yes Taylorball was dumb from the perspective of winning each game. I saw it as lessons in game control for young halves, and I stated that at the time. From my perspective, those lessons are now paying off. Call it a mistake if you choose. I don't think so.
Like developing players, it was and is all about developing a team and an attitude, in its beginnings it's not pretty..... But the attitude and maturity in our young players has grown immensely. It's so much more than results, it's an on field culture.
Good posts guys. Our trouble as a club has been that it always had to be about immediate results.
It seems we're finally planning.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:14 pm

TYGA wrote:I don't agree. I thought we were to tentative and allowed Parramatta to stay in the game. We were playing against an Eels outfit with Foran, Norman, Radradra, Ma'u, Scott, Jennings, Peats and Paulo out of the lineup. This is following up from beating a dreadful STGI. Our form has dropped off from beating the Panthers & Rabbits a month or so ago and we need to sort out the hooker. But a win is a win.

Farah's days are gone but if he goes down injured surely Lidlle or Cherro can play hooker.
Halatau is good for about 25 minutes.
That dreadful St George team just turned around and gave the Bulldogs a massive scare. The Knights have given both the Storm and Raiders huge scares over the last month. No win is easy in this competition. It probably doesn't hurt them to be pushed in these games, it might stop them getting ahead of themselves.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:15 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Yep. This is how I see it and why I have constantly said that the next coach will benefit from Taylor's efforts over the past 2 years.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:20 pm

I still can't see why the Tigers had those 2 penalty kick when Parra were out on their feet.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:25 pm

bathursttiger wrote:I still can't see why the Tigers had those 2 penalty kick when Parra were out on their feet.
I would have gone for the try on both of them. But I suspect that also if we had gone for them and not come up trumps it may have had a negative impact for us.

rialto

Post by rialto » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 9:44 pm

gallagher wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Good posts guys. Our trouble as a club has been that it always had to be about immediate results.
X10. "It's so much more than results, it's an ON FIELD CULTURE "

Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:52 pm

Just back from the game and had a look at NRL.COM's report of the game. They mentioned the defensive resolve of the Tigers. Yes, the Tigers only let 1 try in but we were playing a side without Michael Jennings, Semi Radradra, Corey Norman, Kieran Foran, Nathan Peats, Junior Paulo, Manu Ma'u and Beau Scott. Last week we played the Dragons who have trouble scoring so until we come up against a team with any form of attack i think we need wait to judge if our defence has improved.

My observation of the game was that Lovett needs to go, we need a fulltime hooker as when Rankin was in dummy half there was an overlap and the ball went to his wing where Lovett was standing like a shag on a rock and i was really impressed with Aloiai both in attack and defence. I can see him being a star for us next year with a good off season under his belt.

All in all, a win is a win so its a good night.

VonMiller58

Post by VonMiller58 » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 12:50 am

rialto wrote:
gallagher wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
X10. "It's so much more than results, it's an ON FIELD CULTURE "
X1000.Its so obvious to see our youngsters are really growing into leaders.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 3:29 am

gallagher wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Well summarized,
No point convincing Steve, he just doesn't comprehend the intricacies of rugby league.
Taylorball was 1 step back to move 2 steps forward, the whole team is benefiting from being coached about the importance of control of possession and when and where to use the football. In lasts years case, ball movement was only allowed in the other teams half. The focus was moving the ball up the field as quickly as possible until we were in a position acceptable to attack from. Most of the time this was on the back of penalties or forcing errors from the other team in their half.
The team was also coached on working for one another in defence, keeping a solid line creating a defenceive wall, more importantly to shooting out of the line and understanding how when one player makes an error it impacts the whole team.
When we played 'attacking footy' as you so articulatley put it Steve last year, it most of the time led to turn overs and resulted in a tries against the run of play because the team wasnt prepared to scamble and defend the chance a play didn't come off.
They came into grade with the mindset of scoring on every play.

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 4:34 am

I thought it was a very good win in terms of, once again, getting in the grind and coming out on top. Parramatta are very disciplined and they came out to play. We didn't win pretty but, to a large extent, the Eels didn't let us.
Regarding so called 'Taylorball', I think JT went over the top with his conservatism last year because a totally impotent attack leads to a lot of tackling and the inevitable leaking of points. His intention to temper Brooks and Moses' impetuosity was correct but his game plans were far too simple and had the effect of holding back their attacking development. Right now he seems to have the correct balance because the teams' ball control has improved immeasurably.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 12:41 pm

I loved the players reaction when Jessie Sue scored his try, just showed how much he is liked and respected by his teammates.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 12:47 pm

yeah 100% agreed

it was about putting structures in place for us to fall back to when things get tough

exactly what happened last night, because parra were prepared to play bloody tough.

but everytime i say that, several anti taylor posters say im an idiot - good to see someone is sane
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."