Grinding out a win

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Grinding out a win

Post by formerguest » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:21 pm

I was really impressed with the way we approached the game tonight. You could see the resolve on their faces when we were taking the two points on offer a few times, as it showed they were ready to dig deep and grind out a tough win.

Josh Aloiai has raised the bar a lot higher over the last couple of matches.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:25 pm

Aloiai is a gun. We needed another backrower to step it up this year and he has done it.

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:26 pm

Without Farah we looked able.

Sorry, I had to do it.
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:34 pm

Aloiai took another step up tonight, and he is only 20 BIG future ahead hope he stays a Tiger.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:45 pm

WestsSupporter wrote:Without Farah we looked able.

Sorry, I had to do it.
I know you did. Backing up JT is more important to you than winning games. Robbie should be there. He is so much better than Halatau and I rate Halatau.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:46 pm

formerguest wrote:I was really impressed with the way we approached the game tonight. You could see the resolve on their faces when we were taking the two points on offer a few times, as it showed they were ready to dig deep and grind out a tough win.

I thought we were absolutely dreadful.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:48 pm

Grinding out a win? Hmmm smells like taylorball.
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:50 pm

avocadoontoast wrote:
formerguest wrote:I was really impressed with the way we approached the game tonight. You could see the resolve on their faces when we were taking the two points on offer a few times, as it showed they were ready to dig deep and grind out a tough win.

In what way? We won. Did we win dreadfully?
"Quality Stupidity"

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:53 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
avocadoontoast wrote:

In what way? We won. Did we win dreadfully?
Yes.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 7:57 pm

Please explain
"Quality Stupidity"

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:15 pm

NT Tiger wrote:Grinding out a win? Hmmm smells like taylorball.
No Taylorball is losing footy. It's all about losing games. We won tonight. I hope you can see the difference.

To be fair we did win a game or two via Taylorball but it still felt like a loss because we were so ordinary.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:26 pm

Momentum a funny thing. We started slow, then went bang bang... Next thing 14-2.
Looked like we may cut-our f/a right back, but we let them back into it... Half time it's anyone's game.
I thought we were gone... We looked spent... Running out of puff.... But we've been here before and weathered the storm.
A good tough effort

clokan
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by clokan » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:36 pm

I thought we were pretty average, certainly got the rub of the green. It helped get us across the line, that and the Eels attack being pretty ordinary. Nevertheless, we got the two points

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:38 pm

stevetiger wrote:
No Taylorball is losing footy. It's all about losing games. We won tonight. I hope you can see the difference.

To be fair we did win a game or two via Taylorball but it still felt like a loss because we were so ordinary.
No, Taylorball lost us games but it was about learning to grind out a game, knowing when to make the switch from free flow to grind. WT did it well tonight with Moses in control. See the difference?
"Quality Stupidity"

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:43 pm

Good win ... Against a committed opposition who scrambled well.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:44 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:

No, Taylorball lost us games but it was about learning to grind out a game, knowing when to make the switch from free flow to grind. WT did it well tonight with Moses in control. See the difference?
I get it but I don't think you do. Taylorball lost us games because it was dumb. It's that simple. I understand that you really want it to be the right thing to do but it wasn't. It's called a mistake. JT has made a mistake not playing Robbie as well.

When JT gets it right I give him credit. When he gets it wrong you should state that as well.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:48 pm

Yes Taylorball was dumb from the perspective of winning each game. I saw it as lessons in game control for young halves, and I stated that at the time. From my perspective, those lessons are now paying off. Call it a mistake if you choose. I don't think so.
"Quality Stupidity"

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 8:54 pm

stevetiger wrote:
NT Tiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:

I get it but I don't think you do. Taylorball lost us games because it was dumb. It's that simple. I understand that you really want it to be the right thing to do but it wasn't. It's called a mistake. JT has made a mistake not playing Robbie as well.

When JT gets it right I give him credit. When he gets it wrong you should state that as well.
Steve, JT made it clear he needed the boys to learn the basics first so they always had that when the flair didnt work. In schoolboys and junior football, you generally win games on natural ability. NRL is very different. Brooks and Moses because of their quick elevation to firsts (don't forget the other JT played from the bench in his first two years of firsts grade_ and the fact they were both young halves coming through together, did not have the basic structures in their game. They instinctively went for the championship play every set.

Rightly or wrongly, JT felt that the forced grind (or Taylorball) as you call it, would reap long term rewards. He made it very clear at the beginning of last year that fans should expect it to be ugly before it got better.

Like you, Im not convinced it was necessary but I must say Moses and (to a lesser extent) Brooks look far more complete footballers than 12 months ago. I suspect Taylorball had a lot to do with that.

Slightly off topic, Moses kicking game has been immense this year. I certainly don't miss Benji's 30 metre balloon kicks.