Leichhardt Oval

User avatar
prattenpark
Member
Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue 02 Mar, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Leichhardt Oval

Post by prattenpark » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 9:50 pm

Pretty hard to top today as an overall experience. The atmosphere was electric. The crowd went off and road every play. The Tigers had a great win. Leichhardt is one of those special grounds that can generate a great atmosphere, but it is terrible in the wet. But, Homebush in its current set-up is a soulless tomb.

I think we would be mad to leave our suburban grounds until we see what the new Homebush offers. I like the current 4-4-4 split, but could live with 6-3-3 while we wait for Homebush to be redeveloped. Without a substantial cash injection though, Leichhardt and Campbelltowns days are numbered.

I read the other day that the new Inner West Council is (continuing?) with the plans to spend $3-5M? (I can't remember the exact) on Leichhardt for a new scoreboard and to improve the toilet, bar, eating facilities at the back of the hill.


gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5633
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 9:50 pm

Eddie wrote:
gallagher wrote:Playing there is sending us broke. Is sad but true.
Do you have the figures to back that up?

Obviously I know playing at ANZ is more lucrative for the club.

However If we can win against the Raiders there and get into the finals because of it how do you measure that in dollars?
If we lose to the Raiders there and miss out on the finals, will you blame the venue?
It makes sense that if a venue can be credited with a win then it can be blamed for s loss doesn't it?
Our previous 2 wins have been at ANZ by the way.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29613
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 9:50 pm

Eddie wrote:
gallagher wrote:Playing there is sending us broke. Is sad but true.
Do you have the figures to back that up?

Obviously I know playing at ANZ is more lucrative for the club.

However If we can win against the Raiders there and get into the finals because of it how do you measure that in dollars?
How do you measure that?

Tiger Tim
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue 26 May, 2015 10:42 am

Post by Tiger Tim » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 9:51 pm

Sabre wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
Tiger Tim wrote:Totally agree. Even the 2 kilometre walk back to the car felt good today. I think we have 5 games each at Leichhardt and C'town and the rest at ANZ. The crowd might of only been 14,000 today but it always feels like 30,000.
well thats the issue isnt it? i reckon we'd have pulled close to 20k at ANZ today rather than 14k at leichardt

add in the big number of corporate boxes there and it doesn't make much economic sense to play at leichardt

while it might feel like 30k, it isnt. and money talks

i don't like the atmosphere at ANZ, i think the upgrades will make it a million times better once theyre complete though and we'll move more games there
I disagree.
A lot of the people that went today wouldn't have gone if it was at ANZ imo.
I agree with you Sabre. I try and get to as many games I can but always get to the Leichhardt games. It has a special feel about it having gone there for the last 25 years I always take the family. ANZ has not atmosphere and as it was an out of Sydney team I don't think the crowd would of been any bigger. The game a week ago against the Eels was a dismal crowd and i wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were fudged.

Anyway, what a great day. Let's all enjoy it and hope next week is just as good.

Tiger Tim
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue 26 May, 2015 10:42 am

Post by Tiger Tim » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 9:55 pm

Sabre wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
Tiger Tim wrote:Totally agree. Even the 2 kilometre walk back to the car felt good today. I think we have 5 games each at Leichhardt and C'town and the rest at ANZ. The crowd might of only been 14,000 today but it always feels like 30,000.
well thats the issue isnt it? i reckon we'd have pulled close to 20k at ANZ today rather than 14k at leichardt

add in the big number of corporate boxes there and it doesn't make much economic sense to play at leichardt

while it might feel like 30k, it isnt. and money talks

i don't like the atmosphere at ANZ, i think the upgrades will make it a million times better once theyre complete though and we'll move more games there
I disagree.
A lot of the people that went today wouldn't have gone if it was at ANZ imo.
I agree with you Sabre. I try and get to as many games I can but always get to the Leichhardt games. It has a special feel about it having gone there for the last 25 years I always take the family. ANZ has not atmosphere and as it was an out of Sydney team I don't think the crowd would of been any bigger. The game a week ago against the Eels was a dismal crowd and i wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were fudged.

Anyway, what a great day. Let's all enjoy it and hope next week is just as good.


Tiger Tim
Member
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue 26 May, 2015 10:42 am

Post by Tiger Tim » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 9:55 pm

Sabre wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
Tiger Tim wrote:Totally agree. Even the 2 kilometre walk back to the car felt good today. I think we have 5 games each at Leichhardt and C'town and the rest at ANZ. The crowd might of only been 14,000 today but it always feels like 30,000.
well thats the issue isnt it? i reckon we'd have pulled close to 20k at ANZ today rather than 14k at leichardt

add in the big number of corporate boxes there and it doesn't make much economic sense to play at leichardt

while it might feel like 30k, it isnt. and money talks

i don't like the atmosphere at ANZ, i think the upgrades will make it a million times better once theyre complete though and we'll move more games there
I disagree.
A lot of the people that went today wouldn't have gone if it was at ANZ imo.
I agree with you Sabre. I try and get to as many games I can but always get to the Leichhardt games. It has a special feel about it having gone there for the last 25 years I always take the family. ANZ has not atmosphere and as it was an out of Sydney team I don't think the crowd would of been any bigger. The game a week ago against the Eels was a dismal crowd and i wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were fudged.

Anyway, what a great day. Let's all enjoy it and hope next week is just as good.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:00 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Eddie wrote:
gallagher wrote:Playing there is sending us broke. Is sad but true.
Do you have the figures to back that up?

Obviously I know playing at ANZ is more lucrative for the club.

However If we can win against the Raiders there and get into the finals because of it how do you measure that in dollars?
How do you measure that?
17 years of stats.

41 wins 27 losses.

Over 60% win record. As a club I think we have under a 40% win record overall.

50% gets you into NRL finals last time I checked.

No need tfor me to underline any of that. They are facts.

Maybe we should be playing more games there not less.
Last edited by Eddie on Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:07 pm

Sabre wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
Tiger Tim wrote:Totally agree. Even the 2 kilometre walk back to the car felt good today. I think we have 5 games each at Leichhardt and C'town and the rest at ANZ. The crowd might of only been 14,000 today but it always feels like 30,000.
well thats the issue isnt it? i reckon we'd have pulled close to 20k at ANZ today rather than 14k at leichardt

add in the big number of corporate boxes there and it doesn't make much economic sense to play at leichardt

while it might feel like 30k, it isnt. and money talks

i don't like the atmosphere at ANZ, i think the upgrades will make it a million times better once theyre complete though and we'll move more games there
I disagree.
A lot of the people that went today wouldn't have gone if it was at ANZ imo.
And a lot who didn't go would. I'm not saying we should get rid of Leichhardt or Cambo - but in this day and age people want comfort, good amenities, easy access and family friendly - Cambo provides some of it, Leichhardt none of it and ANZ all of it - its just the world we live in these days.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29613
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:13 pm

Eddie wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Eddie wrote:
gallagher wrote:Playing there is sending us broke. Is sad but true.
Do you have the figures to back that up?

Obviously I know playing at ANZ is more lucrative for the club.

However If we can win against the Raiders there and get into the finals because of it how do you measure that in dollars?
How do you measure that?
17 years of stats.

41 wins 27 losses.

Over 60% win record. As a club I think we have under a 40% win record overall.

50% gets you into NRL finals last time I checked.

No need tfor me to underline any of that. They are facts.

Maybe we should be playing more games there not less.
Ahahaha :crazy you really believe this BS dont you?
You seem to forget we have won elsewhere during the year which also would contribute to us making the finals should it happen.
You think like a 5 year old sometimes

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5048
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:13 pm

Eddie wrote:
gallagher wrote:Playing there is sending us broke. Is sad but true.
Do you have the figures to back that up?

Obviously I know playing at ANZ is more lucrative for the club.

However If we can win against the Raiders there and get into the finals because of it how do you measure that in dollars?
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... zr05p.html

here you go

theres a reason most rich clubs in sydney like the dogs and souths play almost all games at ANZ/SFS.

penrith and parra do alright with their very rich leagues clubs - just ask benny how our's is going...
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5633
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:19 pm

Eddie wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Eddie wrote:
gallagher wrote:Playing there is sending us broke. Is sad but true.
Do you have the figures to back that up?

Obviously I know playing at ANZ is more lucrative for the club.

However If we can win against the Raiders there and get into the finals because of it how do you measure that in dollars?
How do you measure that?
17 years of stats.

41 wins 27 losses.

Over 60% win record. As a club I think we have under a 40% win record overall.

50% gets you into NRL finals last time I checked.

No need tfor me to underline any of that. They are facts.

Maybe we should be playing more games there not less.
Stats also show that we average bigger crowds at ANZ. The people have spoken Eddie.

Muffstar
Member
Member
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Port Macquarie

Post by Muffstar » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:27 pm

gallagher wrote:Playing there is sending us broke. Is sad but true.
Same as CO as well then I assume. So all games at ANZ then.

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5633
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:29 pm

Muffstar wrote:
gallagher wrote:Playing there is sending us broke. Is sad but true.
Same as CO as well then I assume. So all games at ANZ then.
Yes. Ive believed that for over a decade. I used to argue with a poster named anthony sinclair about it.

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4072
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:30 pm

I've been to most other grounds to watch the WTs , today was the best atmosphere I've experienced. Loved being on the hill.
in Ivan we distrust

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:31 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Eddie wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Eddie wrote:
Do you have the figures to back that up?

Obviously I know playing at ANZ is more lucrative for the club.

However If we can win against the Raiders there and get into the finals because of it how do you measure that in dollars?
How do you measure that?
17 years of stats.

41 wins 27 losses.

Over 60% win record. As a club I think we have under a 40% win record overall.

50% gets you into NRL finals last time I checked.

No need tfor me to underline any of that. They are facts.

Maybe we should be playing more games there not less.
Ahahaha :crazy you really believe this BS dont you?
You seem to forget we have won elsewhere during the year which also would contribute to us making the finals should it happen.
You think like a 5 year old sometimes

BS as in facts???

Im the 5 year old yet your your swearing, using smilies and hurling insults.

Ironic.
Last edited by Eddie on Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:34 pm

gallagher wrote:
Eddie wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
Eddie wrote:
Do you have the figures to back that up?

Obviously I know playing at ANZ is more lucrative for the club.

However If we can win against the Raiders there and get into the finals because of it how do you measure that in dollars?
How do you measure that?
17 years of stats.

41 wins 27 losses.

Over 60% win record. As a club I think we have under a 40% win record overall.

50% gets you into NRL finals last time I checked.

No need tfor me to underline any of that. They are facts.

Maybe we should be playing more games there not less.
Stats also show that we average bigger crowds at ANZ. The people have spoken Eddie.
Sweet.

So we get bigger crowds at ANZ and we win more at LO.

Nice mix.

I wont bother with the argument that we play the big Sydney teams at ANZ and the low draw out of town teams at LO.

What was our last crowd at ANZ again?

User avatar
Spartan117
Member
Member
Posts: 5991
Joined: Wed 07 Oct, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Picnic Point, Sydney

Post by Spartan117 » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:39 pm

Eddie wrote:Listen to Paul Green and Matt Scott. They admitted its tougher coming here and that refs are influenced at Leichhardt. Woods and JT also said it made difference. Leichhardt is an asset for us that can't be measured in dollars. Its measured in wins and the percentages are there to back that statement up.
Matt scott said he actually likes playing here.

Only ever been to LO once and that was like a loser all by myself. Logistically is difficult with a family.

Ps i spent the weekend on the snow at perisher in near perfect conditions....

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2685
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:43 pm

Eddie wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Eddie wrote:
innsaneink wrote:
How do you measure that?
17 years of stats.

41 wins 27 losses.

Over 60% win record. As a club I think we have under a 40% win record overall.

50% gets you into NRL finals last time I checked.

No need tfor me to underline any of that. They are facts.

Maybe we should be playing more games there not less.
Stats also show that we average bigger crowds at ANZ. The people have spoken Eddie.
Sweet.

So we get bigger crowds at ANZ and we win more at LO.

Nice mix.

I wont bother with the argument that we play the big Sydney teams at ANZ and the low draw out of town teams at LO.

What was our last crowd at ANZ again?
you can up with every argument and stat you like - the fact is the ground is a relic and as a club moving forward the games there will be limited.

Post Reply