Leichhardt Oval

Byron Bay Fan

Re: Leichhardt Oval

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 11:13 am

What I don't get is how did the best crowd know when to come for the best game?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

galea#11

Post by galea#11 » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 12:00 pm

Every interview commented on the ground

Nofo kept saying this is the spiritual home ground
Wonder if we ever lost a penalty count there ?

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 12:06 pm

mike wrote:It's a terrible place to watch rugby league. It's facilities are sub standard and needs $Millions invested in it to have any hope of survival long term. When it rains it is a bogg hole. Unless there is some big dollars invested in upgrades it's days are numbered.

I hear facilities, facilities, facilities every time Leichardt is mentioned, but I'm unclear what exactly we're missing.

I get that it's short on corporate boxes for sponsors whose employees are just here for the free champagne, but from a punter's point of view I can't see what we're missing. It has a footy field. You can see the footy field You don't need overnight accomodation. If the hill's muddy, bring something to sit on. Bring a blanket for the whole family, you can't do that at ANZ.

I get my ute out of Orange Grove Public about half an hour sooner than I can leave P1 at ANZ.

It does badly need new toilets, but that could be solved with a couple of demountable toilet blocks delivered for game day.

The only thing that could improve my experience would be if I was allowed to bring my ute in and watch the game sitting on the tray. Not all of us want a blue plastic seat.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 12:14 pm

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
mike wrote:It's a terrible place to watch rugby league. It's facilities are sub standard and needs $Millions invested in it to have any hope of survival long term. When it rains it is a bogg hole. Unless there is some big dollars invested in upgrades it's days are numbered.

I hear facilities, facilities, facilities every time Leichardt is mentioned, but I'm unclear what exactly we're missing.

I get that it's short on corporate boxes for sponsors whose employees are just here for the free champagne, but from a punter's point of view I can't see what we're missing. It has a footy field. You can see the footy field You don't need overnight accomodation. If the hill's muddy, bring something to sit on. Bring a blanket for the whole family, you can't do that at ANZ.

I get my ute out of Orange Grove Public about half an hour sooner than I can leave P1 at ANZ.

It does badly need new toilets, but that could be solved with a couple of demountable toilet blocks delivered for game day.

The only thing that could improve my experience would be if I was allowed to bring my ute in and watch the game sitting on the tray. Not all of us want a blue plastic seat.
Soap...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 12:31 pm

Honestly still beaming after yesterday. Love going to the old lady and didn't it deliver. .

We booed, cheered, beered, bantered and cheered all day. Just bloody brilliant and we'll done everyone who went and got into the fun of it.

Awesome!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 12:33 pm

What? Why would anyone want to tamper with the Glenn Morrison toilet block? Think of the heritage! Some of those smells are decades old.

McGrime

Post by McGrime » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 1:53 pm

The wife and I had a ball.
Made the trip down from Central Coast & ended up in a pub
that was absolutely going off well into the night after the game.
I'll be back at Leichardt & jumping round like an 18 year old .............again.
WestsTigers

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 2:02 pm

Being going to LO for over 45 years and never once visited the toilet block, was born with long range tanks, but seriously okay it would be nice to have better facilities, but I go to the football for the football and the atmosphere not for state of the art comfort. Although I realise the club needs better facilities to attract sponsors

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 2:03 pm

Yossarian wrote:What? Why would anyone want to tamper with the Glenn Morrison toilet block? Think of the heritage! Some of those smells are decades old.
You get rid of that bunker and you're tearing the heart out of LO IMO :lol:
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Buffalo

Post by Buffalo » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 2:28 pm

2017 will see same number of games at each venue, it's 2018 and beyond that's in question.
A lot whinge that LO attracts larger crowds, which is subjective, given this year they got 3 Sunday games while Ctown got 4 Saturday games. If WT are fairdinkum they're stadia strategy would involve looking at where the population growth will boom (SWS) and build a bigger relationship with the area. There should be at least 6 games at Ctown. ANZ is a sterile joint that is hard to generate any atmosphere at and does not feel like a home ground.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 7:28 pm

innsaneink wrote:Some 21st century toilets would be more a priority than the Edwardian sewers currently there. The scoreboard is fine
I was on the Hill but walked around to use the fancy toilets underneath the main grandstand at half time.
It was a dream. No Q's . Big open area . Better than my ANZ toilet experience
in Ivan we distrust

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 7:33 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
innsaneink wrote:Some 21st century toilets would be more a priority than the Edwardian sewers currently there. The scoreboard is fine
I was on the Hill but walked around to use the fancy toilets underneath the main grandstand at half time.
It was a dream. No Q's . Big open area . Better than my ANZ toilet experience
Haha those dunnys are 5***** compared to the Glenn Morrison block

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 7:35 pm

Buffalo wrote:2017 will see same number of games at each venue, it's 2018 and beyond that's in question.
A lot whinge that LO attracts larger crowds, which is subjective, given this year they got 3 Sunday games while Ctown got 4 Saturday games. If WT are fairdinkum they're stadia strategy would involve looking at where the population growth will boom (SWS) and build a bigger relationship with the area. There should be at least 6 games at Ctown. ANZ is a sterile joint that is hard to generate any atmosphere at and does not feel like a home ground.
Everyone has been talking about this SWS population boom for years, hopefully it happens soon and near Campbelltown and they are WTs supports. There's also a lot of appartments going up at a rate of knots in and around the city.
in Ivan we distrust

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 7:49 pm

supercoach wrote:Leichhardt oval might not meet people's expectations when it comes to facilities but delivers in atmosphere for both the players and the punters. It's our fort and I never get that feeling at Homebush, and Cambo hardly ever delivers the same atmosphere,but fingers crossed everyone gets out there next Saturday and recreates the same atmosphere
There is no better way to spend a Sunday afternoon then standing on the hill at Leichhardt.

stevied

Post by stevied » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:28 am

Ok, a couple of unusual admissions here. Firstly, I grew up in Avalon on the Northern Beaches ( I hear you - bloody silvertail!) but I never liked the local, glamor team,who raped and pillaged the poorer clubs, and always supported the earthy, heritage rich Tigers. This liking became love as players such as Wayne Pringle, Larry Corrowa, Olsen Fillipaina, Wayne Pearce, Ellery Hanley and Garry Jack came to the fore. I'm going to ruffle a few Magpie feathers here but Leichhardt Oval is the heart and soul of the old Balmain Tigers. But besides being a link to the glory days of the past, it's actually a truly atmospheric, exciting venue to watch Rugby League. Ok, second admission, I'm living in Peru and I'm forced to stay in touch via live streaming on my notebook. I watched Wests triumph over the Cows and I was filled with equal pride and nostalgia as the Tigers played brilliant football at a wonderful venue, one that I'd visited many times. I can't argue with those who say it's facilities are substandard (I've put up with the sewer like conditions of the men's toilets for years) but, as a staunch Wests Tigers fan I'll be praying that the mooted improvements come through so that we can see at least three games a year at our spiritual home. By the way, what happened or what is happening at Lidcombe Oval, the Magpies' spiritual home?
Last edited by stevied on Tue 09 Aug, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:33 am

I'd love to watch a game or two at Lidcombe Oval. How many people can that handle when it's filled?
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

stevied

Post by stevied » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:37 am

Is it still being used and is it in reasonable shape??

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:39 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Buffalo wrote:2017 will see same number of games at each venue, it's 2018 and beyond that's in question.
Everyone has been talking about this SWS population boom for years, hopefully it happens soon and near Campbelltown and they are WTs supports. There's also a lot of appartments going up at a rate of knots in and around the city.
The inner west is one of the most densely populated areas in the country - it's not an area we can ignore.