Gus Article: North Queensland Cowboys tied up in knots by Wests Tigers ambush

GNR4LIFE

Gus Article: North Queensland Cowboys tied up in knots by Wests Tigers ambush

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 9:52 pm

You could feel it from the opening minutes of play.

The young, enthusiastic Wests Tigers team, playing in front of a big crowd on their spiritual home turf, brought down premiers North Queensland with a wonderful 80 minutes of rugby league.

There was no fluke in this victory. The Cowboys didn't play badly, they could only play as well as their opposition allowed.

The Tigers were simply superb. Quality football. Supreme team effort. Every player contributed all they could give.

When they get it right, there is an energy about this team that is very difficult for opponents to match, let alone contain.

We all know they can be brilliant with the ball in hand. They have skill, flair and speed to burn.

However, if they were going to cause the big upset against the Cowboys in this one, their defence had to stand up to the toughest examination this game has to offer. The full-strength Cowboys, with champion playmaker Johnathan Thurston at the helm, have been consistently destroying defensive lines for almost 18 months. They had more than enough quality possession at the Tigers' end of the field to conjure up some tries if they were good enough. Their left-hand side is the most lethal attacking combination in the NRL. They have a vast repertoire of patterns and plays designed to punish pretty much any defensive system. Throughout the year, the Tigers' right-side defenders, have experienced difficulties dealing with sustained attack coming their way. It was obvious from early in the contest this is where the game would be won and lost for both sides.

The Cowboys were obsessed in running the majority of their attacking plays at this part of the field. If anything, they looked a little complacent about their prospects. They really weren't prepared for what the Tigers were about to do.

In recent times the Tigers have resorted to a fast moving, up-an-in, rushing style of defence. They attack with their defence. They sprint up quickly putting immense pressure on playmakers. It can be a bit hit-and-miss, but they have convinced themselves this style is their chance of busting and containing other teams.

Time and time again the Cowboys set up the play to attack the right-side defenders. Time and time again the young Tigers came up with the big defensive reads and cut them down before the play got started. They forced a number of errors from the normally composed Cowboy playmakers. The longer the game went, the easier it seemed to get for the Tigers.

It took the Cowboys almost an hour to admit defeat and look for a Plan B. By this time the Tigers had a handy lead, their tails were in the air, confidence and self belief were high, the big home crowd was right behind them and the upset was well and truly on the cards. The Cowboys managed to come up with a try on the other side of the field late in the piece to reduce the deficit to six and give themselves a fluker's chance of a grandstand finish. However, the Leichhardt Oval football gods has seen enough. They were going to let the home side let this one slip away.

The Tigers slammed an exclamation mark on the victory by having their outstanding fullback James Tedesco score an amazing individual's try right alongside the posts in the 80th minute to send their loyal fans into raptures and dance their way down those narrow Leichhardt streets on their way home.

The Cowboys will probably deny it, but they were guilty of underestimating their opponents. They probably anticipated the Tigers would be full of energy early in the game and they decided the best way to deal with this would be to simply wait for the onslaught to subside. It never did.

The Tigers were relentless for the full 80 minutes. The Cowboys never really matched their energy at any stage. It happens.

However, it would be totally unfair on the Tigers for anyone to suggest the Cowboys were below their best. The Tigers won because they produced their own personal best and the Cowboys just couldn't deal with it on the day.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/west ... qn3r6.html

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:01 pm

Pretty good discription of today's game. The Cow were not great, but that was because we smashed them and really the final score flattered the Cows

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:02 pm

The Cowboys will probably deny it, but they were guilty of underestimating their opponents. They probably anticipated the Tigers would be full of energy early in the game and they decided the best way to deal with this would be to simply wait for the onslaught to subside. It never did.
I gotta admit I was thinking we may get run down late, particulalrly losing ET so early

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:11 pm

Gus loves us...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:18 pm

Todays win showed me we are making real improvement.

I needed to see a really big scalp to believe it. Today we beat beat a full strength premiers outfit. Yes they were off but we contributed to that like most said. Our pack is building nicely. We have players at that great stage of being in their early 20s with over 50 games in the NRL. This year might be touch and go, however next year the sky is the limit.

I think we have a good squad are starting to show our potential. I have to give credit to JT and the staff because the team seems to be finding consistency, finding a harder edge. We are seeing development in talent and improvement in players. That is coaching.

Taylor and the players look like they are all into together and are finally on the same page of what football they want to play. Now a week can we a long time in football however today was the best I have felt about the Tigers for a few years.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:24 pm

innsaneink wrote:
I gotta admit I was thinking we may get run down late, particulalrly losing ET so early
The fact we came out fired up was not a shock. The fact we maintained the rage for 80 mins was ridiculous. It was unbelievable, very un-Wests Tigers like and exactly what JT has been banging on about for 18 months. Tonight was a watershed moment in his tenure as coach. Now we gotta back it up.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:42 pm

However, it would be totally unfair on the Tigers for anyone to suggest the Cowboys were below their best. The Tigers won because they produced their own personal best and the Cowboys just couldn't deal with it on the day.
Oh Gus...I can think of a few....Ironically they are totally absent Tonight....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 10:43 pm

How good was our right side defence. They were awesome.

barra

Post by barra » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 9:56 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:You could feel it from the opening minutes of play.

There was no fluke in this victory. The Cowboys didn't play badly, they could only play as well as their opposition allowed.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/west ... qn3r6.html
Thumbs up for acknowledging this Gus - credit where it's due!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 10:11 am

It was such an incredible effort that i do worry how we will back up from it. Often when teams have massive, emotional wins they come out the next week really flat. I know it's cliche, but i really hope a lid is put on the excitement. The job is not over yet.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 10:25 am

No easy games in this competition. It's been a long time since we have won three in a row so that's a real plus.
Confidence is a huge motivator and Moses has buckets of it - who knows we may be peaking at the right time. How far it gets us remains to be seen,and the Titans are going to desperate too. Shapes up for a beauty.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 10:43 am

Geo. wrote:Gus loves us...
Haha, he does. Glad we're getting full recognition for that one, the defence was outstanding, and every single player put in 100%, could see such a great energy within the team.

Going to watch this game again!

LCA

Post by LCA » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 6:47 pm

It was a brilliant effort from the boys. One of the best I've witnessed. A great thrill to be there and watch it; albeit thinking we were going to get nutted in golden point.

Campbelltown should be packed on Saturday for the Titans game.

The boys deserve all the credit for a great win against the defending champs and deserve a HUGE crowd to park the Hayne plane back in its hangar where it belongs.