The magic man - Sheens

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Re: The magic man - Sheens

Post by stryker » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 3:03 pm

southerntiger wrote:Brian Smith gets rubbished because he is a whinger. No one likes a sore loser. Contrast that with Sheens who very rarely blames a ref.
Nah he just blames everything else ....


REHAB
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 10:55 am

Post by REHAB » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 3:19 pm

yawns! another boring sheens topic because its censored... ill add my 2 cents while im here... the only magic he has done is survived & added a 1 year extension to a contract missing finals 4 seasons in a row after winning a premiership... yawn!

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9750
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 3:47 pm

southerntiger wrote:Brian Smith gets rubbished because he is a whinger. No one likes a sore loser. Contrast that with Sheens who very rarely blames a ref.
There a lot of coaches going around who are bigger whingers than Smith...

User avatar
hybrid_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Latchem Robinson Stand

Post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 5:01 pm

Southern I disagree about Smith, he is criticised because he hasn't won a comp, not because he whinges. Plenty of bigger whingers around than Smith, Ricky Stuart for starters.

Yossarian - very good point about Smith's replacements not doing any better than he did. Hagan at Parra, huge fail. Stone at the Knights - won't make the finals IMO.

EDITED by MODS

southerntiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4393
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by southerntiger » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 5:12 pm

Hybrid,

Smith is criticised for both. He is also criticised by most players who have played under him because of his school teacher like approach. Can you imagine that working at the Tigers? I would imagine that we would lose Tuqiri and Farah before a ball is even kicked in anger.

I agree on Stuart, which is why I would vigorously campaign against his appointment. I loved him as a player but hate him as a coach.

In terms of the moth tags, this is thrown around about as much as the spin doctors etc tags are thrown around in respect of fans who still support Sheens as coach.


User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33100
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 10:08 pm

Can everyone drop the MOTH comments please. The two main offenders who decided to stir up trouble are no longer members of this forum and anyone carrying on about it will either have their posts edited or deleted depending on the context.

Let's stick to the topic at hand.

User avatar
helmesy
Member
Member
Posts: 1976
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:18 am
Location: Sydney

Post by helmesy » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 11:54 am

His Cowboys years were quite unique, the club was owned by News Ltd and after the Super League war there were a lot of veterans on big, big dollars who weren't interested in playing anymore.

A lot of those players were sent to play at the Cowboys.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29637
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 12:36 pm

Righto...just deleted a bunch of posts that have absolutely nothing to do with Sheens Magic....

Just slanging matches between members.....

Stick to the Topic at hand please......
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

southerntiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4393
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by southerntiger » Sat 03 Apr, 2010 1:04 pm

Yossarian wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Brian Smith gets rubbished because he is a whinger. No one likes a sore loser. Contrast that with Sheens who very rarely blames a ref.
There a lot of coaches going around who are bigger whingers than Smith...
Really. I dont know many. Over his career, Smith has only lost about 3 games according to himself. Every other loss has been the refs fault.

User avatar
Yossarian
Member
Member
Posts: 9750
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Central Coast

Post by Yossarian » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 2:08 am

southerntiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Brian Smith gets rubbished because he is a whinger. No one likes a sore loser. Contrast that with Sheens who very rarely blames a ref.
There a lot of coaches going around who are bigger whingers than Smith...
Really. I dont know many. Over his career, Smith has only lost about 3 games according to himself. Every other loss has been the refs fault.
Come now be serious. Des Hasler, Ivan Cleary, Ricky Stuart. I'd say all three are quicker to blame referees for losses. In fact from what I've seen Smith is normally fairly philosophical after a loss. Brian Smith would be lucky to get on the podium. Des would be the gold medal favourite.

I'm not a massive Smith fan but I think he gets a raw deal in terms of criticism of his record. A lot of people just hate him and see what negatives they want to see. Sure you can be critical of the negative impact some of his turnovers have had but I really don't think he is any more critical of referees than most other coaches.

TheSunTanSuperman
Member
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu 06 Aug, 2009 2:02 am

Post by TheSunTanSuperman » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 2:14 am

Brian Smith really bugs me. Just the way he carries himself after a win, he comes off as arrogant, but even then he isn't that big a whinger if they lose.

Des Hasler, Michael Hagan and Ricky Stuart are the biggest whingers in recent times.

Daniel Anderson and Tim Sheens are the two best post match coaches, pretty much have the same composure win, lose or draw.

User avatar
crouching_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 1742
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:25 pm

Post by crouching_tiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 2:30 am

I really hope Sheens' push for referee challenges gets approved. It's a step in the right direction IMHO.
But then i wanna also see what Stuart and Hasler will have a whinge against when they lose..

The main difference i always listen for from a coach's post match interview is:
are they just having a sook or are they stating facts.Lang, Elliot and Smith tend to state facts moreso than cry. Cleary is just a downright mess and is just too emotional.
The ones that offer solutions are better coaches of the lot. Namely Bennett, Bellamy and Sheens.
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

User avatar
Chunk
Member
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri 31 Jul, 2009 2:13 pm

Post by Chunk » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:29 am

Sheens has never had the money at the Tigers like other teams.

People fail to understand that with limited resources he has still made the Tigers into a very competitive team over the past five years.

Along with Noyce and Humprheys he has helped the club become well respected and stable.

Remember the club is still relatively young but certainly heading in the right direction.

southerntiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4393
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 10:04 am

Yossarian wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
Really. I dont know many. Over his career, Smith has only lost about 3 games according to himself. Every other loss has been the refs fault.
Come now be serious. Des Hasler, Ivan Cleary, Ricky Stuart. I'd say all three are quicker to blame referees for losses. In fact from what I've seen Smith is normally fairly philosophical after a loss. Brian Smith would be lucky to get on the podium. Des would be the gold medal favourite.

I'm not a massive Smith fan but I think he gets a raw deal in terms of criticism of his record. A lot of people just hate him and see what negatives they want to see. Sure you can be critical of the negative impact some of his turnovers have had but I really don't think he is any more critical of referees than most other coaches.
I havent seen many of his post match interviews in recent years but in his days at the Eels and the Dragons he would whinge after ALMOST EVERY loss. Perhaps he has got more philosophical in recent years.

I dont think Smith gets a raw deal. He was given a war chest at Parra and failed to win a premiership. Thats a failure if you ask me. Smith will never win a premiership IMHO.

tiger tigers
Member
Member
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:49 am

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 10:31 am

southerntiger wrote:Hybrid,

Smith is criticised for both. He is also criticised by most players who have played under him because of his school teacher like approach. Can you imagine that working at the Tigers? I would imagine that we would lose Tuqiri and Farah before a ball is even kicked in anger.

I agree on Stuart, which is why I would vigorously campaign against his appointment. I loved him as a player but hate him as a coach.

In terms of the moth tags, this is thrown around about as much as the spin doctors etc tags are thrown around in respect of fans who still support Sheens as coach.
i agree with you on stuart .
he has taken over two good sides and both have ended near the bottom of the table .ill have sheens whilst rickys name is bandied about...

User avatar
hybrid_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4564
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:49 am
Location: Latchem Robinson Stand

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 11:18 am

southerntiger wrote:
I dont think Smith gets a raw deal. He was given a war chest at Parra and failed to win a premiership. Thats a failure if you ask me. Smith will never win a premiership IMHO.
Every single club Smith has taken over, he's turned them from a rabble into a competitive outfit, who usually compete in the semi-finals most years under his tenture.

Smith does get a VERY raw deal. He is a very good coach and not a poor one the media would have you believe.

User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9454
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

Post by smeghead » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 11:42 am

Smith was slated by know nothings like Rothfield and Hadley without mercy for years
Image

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29564
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 1:25 pm

Brian Smith, broom sweeper extraordinaire

Post Reply