The magic man - Sheens

Tigerpete

The magic man - Sheens

Post by Tigerpete » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 4:31 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 66,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 4:39 pm

Though I regularly question Sheens' decisions, I think he's a good coach. However, statements like these:
Sheens's legacy as a coach is his ability to work miracles with under-performing teams.
...are absolute crap. Sheens' only miracle was with us - he never made the finals with the Cowboys and Canberra were a team full of superstars, hardly an "under-performing" team.

Just some prespective.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 4:45 pm

It is a hard one to judge. I watched a lot of Canberra in the years leading up to their success and even their now legends of the game were not that great. Very patchy at best. Plus he did bring Stewart from the union clouds.

I am not suggesting Sheens works miracles or is a flawless coach but every time I read a pundit say they could have coached that team to success I do laugh a little

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 5:19 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:Though I regularly question Sheens' decisions, I think he's a good coach. However, statements like these:
Sheens's legacy as a coach is his ability to work miracles with under-performing teams.
...are absolute crap. Sheens' only miracle was with us - he never made the finals with the Cowboys and Canberra were a team full of superstars, hardly an "under-performing" team.

Just some prespective.
I agree Hybrid. I question him sometimes but he is a good coach

Along with us he also took Penrith to their first finals series so I guess thats where this feeling of performing miracles comes from.

But yeah as far as the Canberra side goes, he took over what was already turning into a great side. They made the Grand Final in 87 under Don Furner and Wayne Bennett, Sheens made sure they fullfilled their potential.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 5:28 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:Though I regularly question Sheens' decisions, I think he's a good coach. However, statements like these:

Just some prespective.
What about Penrith?

uuem

Post by uuem » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 8:30 pm

smeghead wrote:I Plus he did bring Stewart from the union cloud
Sheens didn't entice Ricky to league as Warren Ryan while at Balmain tried to sign him and got knocked back as he had a hand shake deal with Don Furner which had been done a few years earlier.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 9:04 pm

Yossarian wrote:

Just some prespective.
What about Penrith?
He never won the comp with Penrith, and in his last season with them he had a 25% win record.

He won 3 out of his 4 comps with Canberra, and one with us. That hardly makes him a miracle worker.

Like I said, despite my regular criticism I think Sheens can coach, but crap written like this really annoys me.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 9:42 pm

You're being very selective Hybrid and I think it undermines your argument. You have to admit he did a good job at Penrith turning a very ordinary team who hadn't made the finals into a competitive team.

I think he makes some mistakes and he had a shocker in North Queensland but you need to be fair about these things.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 9:49 pm

Yossarian wrote:You're being very selective Hybrid and I think it undermines your argument. You have to admit he did a good job at Penrith turning a very ordinary team who hadn't made the finals into a competitive team.

I think he makes some mistakes and he had a shocker in North Queensland but you need to be fair about these things.
He did a good job but it was not a "miracle" and his legacy is not a "miracle worker." As I said, he didn't win the comp with Penrith, and his last season there his win record was 25%. Hardly the result of a miracle worker.

I am not being selective, I am just merely responding to the crap that is written in the media, such as the above original quote.

Yes, he did a good job at Penrith turning a very ordinary team into a competitive team. Brian Smith did the same at St George, Parramatta, Newcastle and now the Roosters, but gets bashed from pillar to post because he hasn't won a comp.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 10:36 pm

He took the panthers to their first finals , Canberra to their first premiership and us to our first premiership. 3 out of 4 clubs aint bad.

The basket case he inherited with us to deliver a premiership was absolutly a miracle.

When he gets to 300 wins you'd think he would get applause from the supporters of his current team. I know it will only bring the opposite form the moths though.

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 11:27 pm

One semifinals appearance in the last 15 years.

Says it all really.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 11:32 pm

Ha...I know,,,and he's still one of the most respected Coaches in the game....go figure....by ex players and so called experts....

Sheens...magic man...too right...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Thu 01 Apr, 2010 11:44 pm

Geo. wrote:

Sit On It Geo !!

. . . . he is a real magician . ? .
He can make the semi final aspirations of 17 very talented footballers dissappear into thin air at the snap of his fingers !!

fast forward to 1:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPvU1vJ29C4
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 9:45 am

Geo. wrote:Ha...I know,,,and he's still one of the most respected Coaches in the game....go figure....by ex players and so called experts....

Tim is regarded as the 'most knowledgble' coach in the game. I have attended a few dinners over the years where Tim has been talking football, and I can tell you he knows what he is talking about. As a tactition and mentor he is on an equal par with Wayne Bennett.

Tim has had good players but only 2 superstars at the Tigers over the past 3 years. Tim never bought 1 marquee player in the previous 4 years. Why? He wasnt allowed to spend his Salary Cap. If you really look at the squad over the past 3 years, and take the time to identify where our problems were, we were probably no better than what we achieved.

He can get them to a game, but he cant play!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Ghostdogg

Post by Ghostdogg » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 9:49 am

The thing that stands out about Sheens is his longevity. His career winning percentage shows he is only a slightly better than average coach.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 1:25 pm

gallagher wrote:He took the panthers to their first finals , Canberra to their first premiership and us to our first premiership. 3 out of 4 clubs aint bad.

The basket case he inherited with us to deliver a premiership was absolutly a miracle.

When he gets to 300 wins you'd think he would get applause from the supporters of his current team. I know it will only bring the opposite form the moths though.
So I'm a moth because I don't agree with the "miracle worker" tag.

Ok then. :roll:

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 2:32 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Yossarian wrote:You're being very selective Hybrid and I think it undermines your argument. You have to admit he did a good job at Penrith turning a very ordinary team who hadn't made the finals into a competitive team.

He did a good job but it was not a "miracle" and his legacy is not a "miracle worker." As I said, he didn't win the comp with Penrith, and his last season there his win record was 25%. Hardly the result of a miracle worker.

I am not being selective, I am just merely responding to the crap that is written in the media, such as the above original quote.

Yes, he did a good job at Penrith turning a very ordinary team into a competitive team. Brian Smith did the same at St George, Parramatta, Newcastle and now the Roosters, but gets bashed from pillar to post because he hasn't won a comp.
Fair enough - I agree he is no miracle worker but some of the Sheens bashers highlight his failings at NQ, give the players the cred at Canberra, and ignore Penrith. If someone had have told me in 2003 that we'd win a premiership in the next 5 years and be the most exciting team to watch in the NRL I would have been ecstatic.

I agree with you re Brian Smith - I think he cops a raw deal for his record. In reality he has a fantastic record for taking underperforming clubs to the finals. Sure you can criticise him for not winning a title but 1) his teams came up against some top notch teams and 2) none of the people who replaced him did any better.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by southerntiger » Fri 02 Apr, 2010 2:36 pm

Brian Smith gets rubbished because he is a whinger. No one likes a sore loser. Contrast that with Sheens who very rarely blames a ref.