A wins a win but geez

X-Pac

Re: A wins a win but geez

Post by X-Pac » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 7:41 pm

it was a tough game for sure,raiders came out fired up

im really worried about what gallant is gonna do to us next week

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 7:41 pm

We won and that is all that really matters.

Ayshford was pretty bad and he needs to get his defence in order. The team as a whole played poorly at times but I also think we copped some dud calls and Canberra played well when we were getting done.

Once we stopped turning the ball over we looked likely.

As for Robbie I thought he played a lot better. He ran it from dummy half and looked dangerous. Yep he still came up with some poor plays but so did benji.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 7:45 pm

X-Pac wrote:it was a tough game for sure,raiders came out fired up

im really worried about what gallant is gonna do to us next week
We handled hayne and Stewart - far trickier propositions IMHO

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 7:47 pm

i thought gallants defence was woeful last night ....his attack was good , so the plan should be to kick away from him and make him chase...then run big forwards over the top of him .....fifita may even get his first meat pie in the top grade........

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 7:51 pm

V the Roosters Fififa scored didnt he?

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 7:53 pm

o well im getting old ... sometimes i forget .....lol...i have him in my dream team along with a host of stars ..look out number 1 here i come

mtd

Post by mtd » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 7:57 pm

its pleasing to see us not only win games like that, but win well. imagine the odds of tigers winnng 13+ @ at half time! our attack is REALLY starting to come together. promising signs!

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 7:58 pm

This season is getting too exciting for me. My wife is going to cut back my Tiger time, I am sure.

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:00 pm

mtd wrote:its pleasing to see us not only win games like that, but win well. imagine the odds of tigers winnng 13+ @ at half time! our attack is REALLY starting to come together. promising signs!
More importantly our defensive aggression and structure came back together in the 2nd half after going completely missing in the 1st.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

tigh

Post by tigh » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:06 pm

Our defense let us down big time in the first 30. We had no structure and the defenders were being lazy on the inside. There wseemed to be no talk. However, once posession evened up, we were always going to be back in the contest as long as we tightened up our D. I think our last 40 minutes was a very good half of footy that was hard to fault considering the score at half time.

We can build on this win, and really move forward over the next few weeks. A big game agianst NQLD will see us on a roll.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:28 pm

What a difference moving up in defence made in the second half.

towntiger

Post by towntiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:29 pm

A win is a win. I am happy with 6that - todays win was much like some of the best sides in recent years. Even when they have an off day the can get back and win comfortably in the end. I remember Melbourne did exactly the same thing down there last season and the season before in heritage rounds.

What does concern me is that our tacklers get caught on the wrong side of the ruck and are left behind on the ground. Where dominant sides like Melbourne and Saints have all tacklers on their side of the play the ball, we often have 1 or 2 players laying around in the ruck.

I believe this is the consequence of our tacklers always leaving the ground to effect a tackle (with the exception of Ellis - hence why he is often our best defender). By leaving the ground you are taking away your level and leverage point and are at the mercy of the attacker. You watch Melbourne/Saints and they will always have there feet planted on the ground and will only leave the ground once the attacker has been put off balance (i.e. the attacker will hit the ground before the defender). For Wests Tigers it is oftern the opposite - our players on the ground trying to bring the attacker down. This i believe is why teams like Parra and Canberra today are able to get so many offloads away, because we have no leverage in the tackle.

This is something we need to work on because players like Thurston, Cronk, Prince love the inside ball to uncover the lazy A defender (in our case who is still lying in the ruck). You saw it in poetry when Melbourne caught out the Dragons for Slaters try.

Other tan that we played well and i was happy with the players lift in intensity after halftime. All in all our back end to games this season has been great. We have finished off every game well despite the scoreline. A credit to Folkes who has got on top of this issue that used to be our bogey each season.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:33 pm

well said .....but we do seem to get punished a hell of a lot more than the sides mentioned ...some of the penalties on the 5th tackle were dubious... the refs can penalise every ruck if they want to follow the true rules of the game ....

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:39 pm

southerntiger wrote:This season is getting too exciting for me. My wife is going to cut back my Tiger time, I am sure.
Pussywhipped.
Oh dear.
Take a stand, man!!

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:39 pm

All I can say is thank god we weren't playing the Storm or Dragons. We would have been beaten by 40.

Our defence in the first 40 minutes was a disgrace. Every time they straightened the play we were busted.

Our discipline was poor again (having said that, after watching the second half again we copped some very dodgy calls).

We had 3 or 4 tries from long range, somewhat 'lucky' plays.

We got out of jail today. Thanks for the two points, but it wasn't our best performance.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:41 pm

towntiger wrote:A win is a win. I am happy with 6that - todays win was much like some of the best sides in recent years. Even when they have an off day the can get back and win comfortably in the end. I remember Melbourne did exactly the same thing down there last season and the season before in heritage rounds.

What does concern me is that our tacklers get caught on the wrong side of the ruck and are left behind on the ground. Where dominant sides like Melbourne and Saints have all tacklers on their side of the play the ball, we often have 1 or 2 players laying around in the ruck.

I believe this is the consequence of our tacklers always leaving the ground to effect a tackle (with the exception of Ellis - hence why he is often our best defender). By leaving the ground you are taking away your level and leverage point and are at the mercy of the attacker. You watch Melbourne/Saints and they will always have there feet planted on the ground and will only leave the ground once the attacker has been put off balance (i.e. the attacker will hit the ground before the defender). For Wests Tigers it is oftern the opposite - our players on the ground trying to bring the attacker down. This i believe is why teams like Parra and Canberra today are able to get so many offloads away, because we have no leverage in the tackle.

This is something we need to work on because players like Thurston, Cronk, Prince love the inside ball to uncover the lazy A defender (in our case who is still lying in the ruck). You saw it in poetry when Melbourne caught out the Dragons for Slaters try.

Other tan that we played well and i was happy with the players lift in intensity after halftime. All in all our back end to games this season has been great. We have finished off every game well despite the scoreline. A credit to Folkes who has got on top of this issue that used to be our bogey each season.
Its called dominating in defence. We rarely do it.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:43 pm

steven_tiger wrote:All I can say is thank god we weren't playing the Storm or Dragons. We would have been beaten by 40.

Our defence in the first 40 minutes was a disgrace. Every time they straightened the play we were busted.

Our discipline was poor again (having said that, after watching the second half again we copped some very dodgy calls).

We had 3 or 4 tries from long range, somewhat 'lucky' plays.

We got out of jail today. Thanks for the two points, but it wasn't our best performance.
why do people think the storm will blow us off the park ... they are struggling to score 20 points a game . and saints are not that much better when you take out an inept performance by the dogs when they beat them .its early season and we are 75 % win ratio .....when we hit our straps we will blow both sides away .. and hopefully when it really matters ....

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:44 pm

Bravo at last!!!! ...Yes a few guys there today were below par as it already has been stated,but the conclusion for me was Finally we grafted out a win .Farar stabs a field goal (smart) and this aspect has always been difficult.
I am very proud of the boys and the non panicked attitude which showed mental toughness and maturity at last .Also I think the Steve Folkes contribution is showing though The Raiders weaked in the last 15 while we came on which = fitness.