A wins a win but geez

southerntiger

Re: A wins a win but geez

Post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:46 pm

innsaneink wrote:
southerntiger wrote:This season is getting too exciting for me. My wife is going to cut back my Tiger time, I am sure.
Pussywhipped.
Oh dear.
Take a stand, man!!
Easier said than done mate.

Staks

Post by Staks » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:50 pm

southerntiger wrote:I have to admit that 5 mins before haltime I had written this game off. Thank god for that try before the break. Without that i reckon we might have got a towelling.
Same here. I don't normally throw the towel in so early but the team looked flat, didn't seem interested and the Raiders where making ground to easily. The try before half time gave some hope though.

Never expected that in the second half though ! as the title says a Win is a win, on to next weekend now !!

:sign:
Wests Tigers -- YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE -- Wests since 1908

Wests - the only team name to feature in every NSWRL/ARL/NRL season since 1908

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:51 pm

Staks wrote:
southerntiger wrote:I have to admit that 5 mins before haltime I had written this game off. Thank god for that try before the break. Without that i reckon we might have got a towelling.
Same here. I don't normally throw the towel in so early but the team looked flat, didn't seem interested and the Raiders where making ground to easily. The try before half time gave some hope though.

Never expected that in the second half though ! as the title says a Win is a win, on to next weekend now !!

My mate said after that try it would be the turning point. A momentum breaker for the Raiders. Turned out he was right!

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:59 pm

Overall we were pretty disappointing, but we did put 31 unanswered points on them. Good to get a win like that. It the sort of game we would have come up 2 points short in over the last few years.

Did I see correctly - Robbie's try after half time - did the inside pass come of the Raider's defenders hand, bounce onto his leg and then up into Robbie's hands? talk about a lucky bounce if it did.

I thin one reason our defence was so poor in the first half was that Suttor seemed to give us absolutely no time to get off the tackled player. As a consequence we were rolling off early to avoid a penalty and allowing quick play the balls. It was ridiculous. But, as a team they have to learn how to deal with these things sometimes. I think Robbie should have confronted him about it 20 minutes into the game, not 20 from fulltime. I can't imagine Jamie Lyon or other captains holding off so long.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 10:47 pm

We were pretty lucky to get the points today. We had no intensity with or without the ball in the first half. They jumped us and were all over us. They are a decent side down there so that can happen, however some of the missed tackles were absymal, really really bad.

We should of been 30 points down and there would of been no way back. I had a feeling that lucky counter attacking try on the halftime bell would be a huge momentum swinger and it was. Just an incredibly dumb try for Canberra to give away.

The first 15 minutes of the second half were not much better, and again it was against the run of the play that we got back to 22-16. After that we found our legs and showed a high class level of skill to completely overwhelm them. Canberra like us have a very flimsy defence when they are back pedelling and we became ruthless. In the end we got there with time to spare and it was a great fightback, however on another day we would not of been so lucky.

We have a heap of talent, and showed again today not many teams can live with us when we have our hot spells. Just got to cut out these 20-30 periods were we are conceeding a truck load of points. 3-1 is a good start to the season considering a pretty tough draw. However we have to realise we are not that good and could easily be 1-3. I really thought there were 2 or 3 lucky bounces that turned the game today for us, otherwise we would be sitting here very glum. Although in fairness you have to give credit to a team that has come from 16 and 18 points behind to win games this season.

Need to be a whole lot more consistent across the 80minutes against the Cows next Saturday.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 10:54 pm

We started the game with a very bad lack of intensity. I get the impression some of our players think we can play in cruise control and just let Benji and Robbie create their magic to win us games without doing the hard yards. No doubt Sheens give them a rev up at halftime and I thaught we played with much better intensity in the second half, why first grade footballers need a coach to tell them they need to start running hard and tackling hard is beyond me, but I have no doubts we are the classiest side in the comp. When we play committed and aggressive football for most of the 80mins, no one can beat us !!!

willow

Post by willow » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:04 am

Robbie said after the game that he could sense the team was flat in the warm up, despite them knowing Canberra would come at them hard. He also said he couldn't land a field goal at training yesterday too so it just goes to show that perseverence paid off for the Tigers today. Payten reckoned the team didn't deserve to win. Sheens disagreed and reckoned the second half was very good but the team did not play to instruction in the first half.

At the end of the day it was a stark contrast between the first and second half but the Tigers showed great grit to come back from 22-4 although they know they cannot do this every week. Robbie got the team together after the siren and told them that they were better than that and owe it to themselves to put in for each other if they are to give the comp a shake.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 7:05 am

to basically sum it up fellas, the tigs kill ya then bring you back to life!

entirely based on that first half performance, i thought that there was no way could come back from that deficit.

however, when lote and benji combined just on half time, i thought we were a genuine chance considering our recent comeback against a better team in manly. Also my brother ( sitting next to me at the game) said he was confident and that eventually the class would take over.

i knew canberra's enthusiasm in the first half would subside and that was shown with those 4 repeat sets they had in our corner, dropping the ball on a couple of occasions

first time we got the ball, 100 metre try

by that stage i just knew canberra wouldn't have the defensive power to hold our raids at their end of the park

it only then took a couple of sets before scores were even at 22 a piece

my confidence was sky high when farah got the field goal and we were in front for the first time, but would need a try to seal a great a comeback and fulton did just that, running through a hole to seal a match that will live in my mind forever.

in summary, we played crap in the first half, but you cant be bums if you come back from 18 points down to win by 13
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

senexx

Post by senexx » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 10:23 am

prattenpark wrote:Overall we were pretty disappointing, but we did put 31 unanswered points on them. Good to get a win like that. It the sort of game we would have come up 2 points short in over the last few years.

Did I see correctly - Robbie's try after half time - did the inside pass come of the Raider's defenders hand, bounce onto his leg and then up into Robbie's hands? talk about a lucky bounce if it did.

I thin one reason our defence was so poor in the first half was that Suttor seemed to give us absolutely no time to get off the tackled player. As a consequence we were rolling off early to avoid a penalty and allowing quick play the balls. It was ridiculous. But, as a team they have to learn how to deal with these things sometimes. I think Robbie should have confronted him about it 20 minutes into the game, not 20 from fulltime. I can't imagine Jamie Lyon or other captains holding off so long.
Nailed it.
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:34 pm

We have trouble controlling the ruck and allow teams to get quick play the balls which turns into momentum and when a side gets the momentum we can't stop points being scored this is a massive problem that still hasn't been fixed.
Our goal line defence is another problem, it seems whenever teams get a shot at our line it's all too easy for them to score we just open up badly.
I know the team realizes it as a problem because whenever it happens they all kind of just look at each other with an amazed look on their faces and their body language after that is terrible.
Luckily momentum and possession swings our way in the second half and we're able to score some points of our own but how long can we continue to win games like this?