Balmain Bug's player Performance review

Balmain Bug

Balmain Bug's player Performance review

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:04 pm

1 Beau Ryan (6.5/10 Played well. Great kick return metres of 191m. Was not tested under the highball much. The Zero line break stat on NRL.com surprised me. A fullback in 1st grade needs to make at least one line break.)

2 Lote Tuqiri (7/10 Very good game again. 197 metres. Was very strong and put us back in the game with the lead up work to Benji's try. has great hands but needs to anticipate the ball at all times.)

3 Chris Lawrence (7.5/10 Awesome defence and great hole running. His defence was great and if Chris was not there today we would have lost)

4 Blake Ayshford (5.5/10 A mixed bag today. Lazy in defence with only 11 tackles. Gave away a crucial penalty through dumb play. He looked confused today.

5 Mitch Brown (6/10 Played well. Defended poorly at times though and a bad read lead to a Canberra try. Tried to take the workload off the forwards with mixed results. Did well with the lead up to a try in the second half. Although he can make poor decisions in defence, this can not be said for his attack as he looks to make the right decisions most times in attack but just lacks that spark that we need.)

6 Benji Marshall (7.5/10 Played well again. Needed the hole runners and the Wests Juniors came to the rescue in the form of Fulton and Lawrence)

7 Tim Moltzen (5/10 An allround poor game and did not give Benji the support he needed. failed miserably to run the ball to the line. Must be injured. He just must be injured. Failed to put his body on the line for anything)

8 Bryce Gibbs (7.5/10 Mad game. One of our best. Did everything well)

9 Robbie Farah © (7.5/10 Good game but a Bad kicking game in my opinion. Too many 'nothing' kicks ruined his game. Rubbish plays. When he pressed the button he played well but lacked support up the middle of the ruck at times. Did a great thing when he pleaded with Suttor to give WT more of a go in the ruck area which we then, funnily enough started to get with 20mins left on the clock.)

10 Keith Galloway (7/10 Got 'owned' today by Shillington. great defensive effort and tried very hard in attack but his metres were down on what they should have been. He needed to do more to dominate physically and did not quite reach the mark)

11 Todd Payten (5.5/10 Average to poor game from a player of his standard. Needs to take more of a senior role and roll his sleeves up. Was a passenger in my opinion at vital stages of the 1st half. 4 hit ups for an entire game is just not good enough for a team that was struggling to control the ruck and dominate in the forwards. made 21 tackles most of which were 2nd man in)

12 Gareth Ellis (6.5/10 A good game but was left in the lurch and made to look bad when defending next to Moltzen who refused to put his body on the line. This at times made Ellis wary of Moltzen's dramas and had to cover for both which then left Ellis badly exposed. To his credit he made 30 tackles. Pumped his legs hard when hitting the ball up and gave his all, as per usual in that department.)

13 Chris Heighington (6/10 An average game. Tried hard but got owned by a number of raiders forwards. Must show more Mongrel next week against the cows or I will be starting with Flanagan)

14 Andrew Fifita (7/10 Brilliant in all facets. His statistics up against the minutes he played is Brilliant. Simply outstanding and helped turn the game for us. We needed him in the 1st half when they were controlling the ruck)

15 Liam Fulton (8/10 Joker was my man of the match. he helped turn the game and did everything right. he is one of few players that tries to play that (dare I say it) 2005 style. Quick, quick quick. All class. Must start next week.)

16 Mark Flanagan (6/10 Was very very good again. he did everything right and sparked us again in both attack and defence.)

17 Daniel Fitzhenry (Cant rate did not play long)

Brett SUTTOR (1/10 refereeing performance. The dominance Canberra had in controlling the ruck was killing us. he did not allow us the same leeway until Robbie and SUTTOR came into a 'domestic' dispute over the issue. SUTTOR is a real poor ref who did not manage this game well at all and it was to our great detriment. )
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:08 pm

LOL, well atleast you tried
"Just let the haters hate"

shout out to kul and the rest of the admin and mods

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:10 pm

No idea bug....go away, youre more annoying than the chatty ref today.

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:13 pm

Ron & Ink, please expand upon your comments.

What do you disagree with?
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:13 pm

If you dont agree, why dont you say where and why. At least BB is creating a conversation starter.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:14 pm

Good summation.

100% agree re Fulton and flanagan. Liam to start for payten and flanno more game time, give heighno an extra 10 minutes rest.

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:15 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:Ron & Ink, please expand upon your comments.

What do you disagree with?

ok you rate lawrence's game ahead of beaus when lawrence made 2 errors one leading to a try and the other us giving up possesion when we just got the lead

Blake93

Post by Blake93 » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:15 pm

The stats on nrl.com were wrong when I checked. It said flanno played 0 minutes
He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learnt the secret of life.

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:16 pm

innsaneink wrote:No idea bug....go away, youre more annoying than the chatty ref today.

Im with you on that one ink.But he does have an agenda.

Dont know why anyone cant be happy with the way the team is going.

It doesnt matter how we win from behind or be in front all game.2 POINTS

Beau ryan done extremly well i thought.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:19 pm

T4E I am one of the BB's biggest critics but this doesnt seem to support an agenda. He is a huge Moltzen fan so you would have to think he is being genuine here.

His point on Ryan may be a bit harsh but Sheens would probably agree with him which is why he persisted with Moltzen at 1 despite his errors. Beau is a good solid FB but he wont scare too many teams with his kick returns. But do we even need that?

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:20 pm

ok you rate lawrence's game ahead of beaus when lawrence made 2 errors one leading to a try and the other us giving up possesion when we just got the lead

saying it was browns fault for the try to crocker (i assume thats what you are talking about) is so wrong when it was ayshford fault

heignington and ellis were our best forwards today but recieved the lowest ratings

moltzen was our the only one creating any real chances in the first half (besides benjis chip and chase which moltzen regathered and put heigno away)

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:24 pm

massive underrating of Ryan. I do agree with others that the Gallant agenda has something to do with this.

Agreed completely on the Moltzen comments however. He was getting physio attention to his neck during the warmup and played like he was busted. Lazarus must have been close to getting his first start today as he warmed up with the team and it wasn;t until after the physio check/ treatment that he moved to a 'backup' role in the warmup.
Madgic!

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:25 pm

Bug - you are right on in a number of things. Moltzen was poor but Ayshford was worse. Fair summation of Robbie and Benji's games.

Ryan though was excellent. Seriously if these performances keep coming he will be a better option for us at fullback than either Shannon - he has been so far. He makes few if any mistakes, hits it up hard and gets involved throughout the game. Sure he will not be the Australian fullback but his performances are really growing on me.

I also thought Heighno went real well. He was one player who was putting in when we were under the pump.

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:31 pm

softlaw wrote:massive underrating of Ryan. I do agree with others that the Gallant agenda has something to do with this.

Agreed completely on the Moltzen comments however. He was getting physio attention to his neck during the warmup and played like he was busted. Lazarus must have been close to getting his first start today as he warmed up with the team and it wasn;t until after the physio check/ treatment that he moved to a 'backup' role in the warmup.

Not at all.

I wrote 'Played well, Great kick return metres....'

I concede that he was probably worth a 7 considering others got a 7 but the stats say that he did not break the line once which is not too good.

This has nothing to do with gallant as I am a massive Beau Ryan fan.

He did not outplay Dugan today though.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:33 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:He did not outplay Dugan today though.
I am not so sure about this. Dugan was very impressive but he also made a lot of mistakes. Beau made few if any mistakes.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:36 pm

Bugs a hard marker,but not unfair.Gutsy win,but ..
1)Something Has to be done about the goalkicking-Benji just isnt reliable.It will bite us soon(again)
2)Ayshford isnt 1st grade standard-I keep waiting for him to "arrive",but he strugles to make an impact-gotta think theres better options out there(Pritchard/taumata?),at least for the short term.
3)Farah was chanel 9s MOM,but probably played himself out of a blue jersey-does a lot of great things,but his errors will be considered too expensive at SOO level
4)Id like to see more of Fifita ,Flanagan & Fulton-they all seem to make an impact,& not just today.
5)Thank goodness Ellis was out there in 1st half-we could have been down by 40 without him!
6)Did Benji & Moltzen get so much publicity during the week that they didnt feel the need to tackle at all today?
7)Thank goodness it was ONLY Canberra-imagine what Storm would have done to us

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:40 pm

clontarfkid wrote:Bugs a hard marker,but not unfair.Gutsy win,but ..
1)Something Has to be done about the goalkicking-Benji just isnt reliable.It will bite us soon(again)
2)Ayshford isnt 1st grade standard-I keep waiting for him to "arrive",but he strugles to make an impact-gotta think theres better options out there(Pritchard/taumata?),at least for the short term.
3)Farah was chanel 9s MOM,but probably played himself out of a blue jersey-does a lot of great things,but his errors will be considered too expensive at SOO level
4)Id like to see more of Fifita ,Flanagan & Fulton-they all seem to make an impact,& not just today.
5)Thank goodness Ellis was out there in 1st half-we could have been down by 40 without him!
6)Did Benji & Moltzen get so much publicity during the week that they didnt feel the need to tackle at all today?
7)Thank goodness it was ONLY Canberra-imagine what Storm would have done to us

Agree with points 1,4,5.of your comments but dont under rate canberra they do blow alot of teams off the park where melbourne grind out more wins.

Kul

Post by Kul » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:45 pm

A win is a win

Just because the sharks beat parra this week doesn't mean our win against parra the week before should now be viewed in a different light. Canberra today came out of the blocks on fire and would have probably beaten most sides.
The fact that they deservedly got out to a good lead is a credit to their game plan and aggression. Yes, the Wests Tigers should have held on better, but our game plan got shot to bits within the opening 10 minutes.

Yet the team came back and WON - that says something else that a 30-8 romping wouldn't say: our team is finally getting some guts!
It may have been a scrappy win, but I think there are some real positives to take out of it.
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com