Balmain Bug's player Performance review

prattenpark

Re: Balmain Bug's player Performance review

Post by prattenpark » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:49 pm

I think it is a pretty good summation.
I hope you are right about Moltzen. I like the guy but he has refused to put his body on the line all year. I hope he's carrying a niggling injury or something that we don't know about, otherwise he's just a bit soft - I always thought if he'd put his body on the line in round 25 last year Hayne wouldn't have regathered his chip kick. On the positive side though, he and Marshall are 7 from 7.
Beau is doing a good job, but can improve. He made a poor attempt at tackle for the Raiders first? try out wide. He should have hammered the guy across the sideline. While he didn't make a line break, he at least runs hard at the line. I'm confident he'll get better.

Illek

Post by Illek » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:49 pm

Generally don't agree with bugs posts too often but think majority of what he said is true

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 8:51 pm

Kul wrote:A win is a win

Just because the sharks beat parra this week doesn't mean our win against parra the week before should now be viewed in a different light. Canberra today came out of the blocks on fire and would have probably beaten most sides.
The fact that they deservedly got out to a good lead is a credit to their game plan and aggression. Yes, the Wests Tigers should have held on better, but our game plan got shot to bits within the opening 10 minutes.

Yet the team came back and WON - that says something else that a 30-8 romping wouldn't say: our team is finally getting some guts!
It may have been a scrappy win, but I think there are some real positives to take out of it.
Totally agree..reckon we would have dropped that game in any of the past 4 years,so in some respects its a coming of age & a really positive sign.
As for our "game plan",if it meant conserving our energy & doing as few tackles as possible,we executed it to perfection in the 1st 30 mins.We knew they wld come out pumped ,but couldnt lift to match them
Maybe it was the match agaist Parra last week whick knocked the stuffing out of both sides..?

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 9:24 pm

I don't agree with too much of BB usually, but agree with most of what was said today.

Beau Ryan did make a line-break. Those stats are wrong. He scored a try at the end where he went straight through. Lawrence had his moments but was also a bit shaky at times. A bit hard on Tuqiri and Brown I thought. Brown was good all round and Tuqiri was playing precentage football when Payten threw one over the side-line with minimal room.

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 9:36 pm

clontarfkid wrote:Bugs a hard marker,but not unfair.Gutsy win,but ..
1)Something Has to be done about the goalkicking-Benji just isnt reliable.It will bite us soon(again)
2)Ayshford isnt 1st grade standard-I keep waiting for him to "arrive",but he strugles to make an impact-gotta think theres better options out there(Pritchard/taumata?),at least for the short term.
3)Farah was chanel 9s MOM,but probably played himself out of a blue jersey-does a lot of great things,but his errors will be considered too expensive at SOO level
4)Id like to see more of Fifita ,Flanagan & Fulton-they all seem to make an impact,& not just today.
5)Thank goodness Ellis was out there in 1st half-we could have been down by 40 without him!
6)Did Benji & Moltzen get so much publicity during the week that they didnt feel the need to tackle at all today?
7)Thank goodness it was ONLY Canberra-imagine what Storm would have done to us
moltz 15 tackles made 2 missed benji 14 tackles made 4 missed
"Just let the haters hate"

shout out to kul and the rest of the admin and mods

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 9:42 pm

Did Beau Ryan score a try...that's 1 linebreak isn't it..... :?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 9:46 pm

Geo. wrote:Did Beau Ryan score a try...that's 1 linebreak isn't it..... :?

and a line break assist for moltzen!

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 9:51 pm

No Geo, it is not.

A line break is when you physically break the defensive line. it is not when you break the tryline.

For example Shannon Gallant made 2 line breaks this weekend and Billy Slater made 1.
;)
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 9:55 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:

No Geo, it is not.

A line break is when you physically break the defensive line. it is not when you break the tryline.

For example Shannon Gallant made 2 line breaks this weekend and Billy Slater made 1.
;)
well he got a line break somewhere because the statistics ive seen gave him 1

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 10:02 pm

& in the last 2 weeks Slaters made a total of 142 metres. Ryan has a total of 455 metres.
& Gallant. Well, in 1 game he made 194 metres but missed 2 tackle both of which resulted directly in tries.

I'm not saying Ryan's better than Slater but on pure stats I think Slaters 2 linebreaks are well balanced by Ryans extra 310 metres.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 10:05 pm

I like BB`s comments. I don`t always agree, but he`s not afraid to voice his opinion and this is a forum where you read other peoples opinions. For the record, I think BB`S summary is fairly close to the mark. I wouldn`t be as harsh on Moltzen, but what a game from Liam Fulton and to think some people didn`t want him back playing with us !

Two blokes who i`d never ever get sick of watching play football in a Wests Tigers jersey, Liam Fulton and Beau Ryan. These two aren`t the biggest, strongest or fastest footballers to ever lace up a boot, but they are footballers with a capital F and are all heart and soul.

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Sun 04 Apr, 2010 10:22 pm

Thought the quality of Galloway's metres were poor. He seems to have lost the intensity of last year, where he was hitting the line with great intent and good body height. He has all the physical advantages and also needs to make his presence felt more in defence, as it also lacks intensity and the all important intimidation. He's playing like it's 2007 again. 5/10

Gibbs on the other hand was very impressive, the usual excellent effort in defence and starting to make a lot of people, including me, eat their words, with a forceful and committed approach in hitting the ball up 7.5/10

Fifita has the potential to be a 5 star forward. Although I've seen little of him, he has skill and loves putting opposing forwards 'on notice'. Big, strong and physical, great potential. Really enjoyed his offload down the right hand side 7/10

Flanagan, wow, high work rate and showed some glimpses of attacking skills this afternoon. If one of our centres suffers an injury I would have no problem playing him at 3 or 4. 7/10

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 6:40 am

Vicious wrote:Two blokes who i`d never ever get sick of watching play football in a Wests Tigers jersey, Liam Fulton and Beau Ryan. These two aren`t the biggest, strongest or fastest footballers to ever lace up a boot, but they are footballers with a capital F and are all heart and soul.
I have always liked Fulton but thought that he was simply too small to remain in the squad especially when we had a pack of forwards who couldn't get over the advantage line. When we have the rest of the pack making metres he really fits in. One other point I'd make is that on here I always hear about his ball playing ability. Yes he can make a pass but he is nowhere near someone like Benji. It is not even close. He is however a great hole runner. He is a runner of the footy and a great footballer - he can tackle he can pass he can make a poor quality hit-up if required but when we are on the attack and he is running out wide he is one high quality player.

As for Ryan - not a big player, not fast not elusive but he goes hard all day. He is like the workhorse in our backline that has so many stars.

Great players for our club.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 6:52 am

Citizen Tiger wrote:Thought the quality of Galloway's metres were poor. He seems to have lost the intensity of last year, where he was hitting the line with great intent and good body height. He has all the physical advantages and also needs to make his presence felt more in defence, as it also lacks intensity and the all important intimidation. He's playing like it's 2007 again. 5/10

Gibbs on the other hand was very impressive, the usual excellent effort in defence and starting to make a lot of people, including me, eat their words, with a forceful and committed approach in hitting the ball up 7.5/10

Fifita has the potential to be a 5 star forward. Although I've seen little of him, he has skill and loves putting opposing forwards 'on notice'. Big, strong and physical, great potential. Really enjoyed his offload down the right hand side 7/10

Flanagan, wow, high work rate and showed some glimpses of attacking skills this afternoon. If one of our centres suffers an injury I would have no problem playing him at 3 or 4. 7/10
Galloway has no mongrel in him,so he doesnt hit with bad intentions in attack or defence like most good props should
Its as simple as that

Year of the Tiger

Post by Year of the Tiger » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 9:50 am

clontarfkid wrote:
Citizen Tiger wrote:Thought the quality of Galloway's metres were poor. He seems to have lost the intensity of last year, where he was hitting the line with great intent and good body height. He has all the physical advantages and also needs to make his presence felt more in defence, as it also lacks intensity and the all important intimidation. He's playing like it's 2007 again. 5/10

Galloway has no mongrel in him,so he doesnt hit with bad intentions in attack or defence like most good props should
Its as simple as that
I think people are overreacting to the Shillington hit (he bounced straight back up). Sure KG had a less impactful game than usual but he has played very well in every other game and will be in SOO contention IMO
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

Year of the Tiger

Post by Year of the Tiger » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 9:51 am

And Benji is now a true playmaker - I dont mind him being quiet if his touches are quality. 8/10
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 3:25 am

Balmain Bug wrote:
Brett SUTTOR (1/10 refereeing performance. The dominance Canberra had in controlling the ruck was killing us. he did not allow us the same leeway until Robbie and SUTTOR came into a 'domestic' dispute over the issue. SUTTOR is a real poor ref who did not manage this game well at all and it was to our great detriment. )
Brett Suttor looks too much like Hank Scorpio for my liking.

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Tue 06 Apr, 2010 3:29 am

BB I agree with your man of the match. Fulton made a lot of impact in this game. His defence helped stop the tide of raiders and he runs great lines. He is an 80 minute player who must start in the backrow.

I had doubts about him coming back but I admit I was wrong he is a vital part of our side. If he was a Queenslander he would fill the Dallas Johnson role in defence and offer more in attack. Keep up the good work Liam.